- 23 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Outside Magazine’s 2012 Ski Resort Rankings Last post on 11/7/12 at 7:44am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- How to Approach Snowbird and Jackson Hole - One Day Each Last post on 1/31/16 at 11:06pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- If you could only ski one resort... Last post on 3/9/16 at 8:56am in General Skiing Discussion
- Mountain Collective 2015/16 [11 destinations, including Aspen, Stowe, Taos, Sun Valley, . . .] Last post on 3/1/16 at 10:52am in Skiing News
- My Winter with the Mountain Collective - Jan-Mar 2014 Last post on 4/16/14 at 6:21am in Trip Reports
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - An Unofficial Guide to Skiing...Last edited: 10/8/13
- Snowbird Unofficial GuideLast edited: 11/7/15
- Mt. Bachelor - A PictorialLast edited: 8/4/13
- Back Home in the Jackson BackcountryLast edited: 9/12/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Where to ski THIS year in early April?post #1 of 82/21/13 at 12:30pmThread StarterHello. I have done a little research on optimal locations for a spring trip and was just wondering based on the way things are shaping up now are the usual suspects still the primary candidates for a trip the 1st 2 weeks of April? I am thinking of Snowbird currently but they seem to be a little lower than average this year. What thinks ye? Thanks.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 82/21/13 at 12:35pm
There's a thread on this topic about four threads down. It has some information about this season, and it sounds like Mammoth might be a better choice. The base has been pretty dodgy in UT, and I don't see late season shaping up that great.post #3 of 82/21/13 at 1:41pmpost #4 of 82/21/13 at 4:25pmThread StarterThis will be the latest we have ever skied, we are usually golfing in early April. I've been to Snowbird/Alta several times. I know I like the terrain. I also like Jackson Hole and Kirkwood. Wild and woolly terrain with good potential for fresh snow.
I wouldnt hesitate to go to Snowbird right now. If things stay on this track will Snowbird have coverage issues?
i'm in the mid atlantic so mammoth might be a pain to get to. How about jackson Hole/targhee? PNW?
Appreciate the insight folks!post #5 of 82/21/13 at 4:47pm
Up at Snowbasin, the base is way down under 60 inches. I've pretty much given up on the idea of it getting to normal now that it's moving into late February. There are rocks and weeds all over, including in the middle of major runs. The snow hasn't been bad, just on and off with long, warm, dry periods in between. Unless it starts dumping for weeks straight, I see the base being pretty low by April.
I can't speak specifically to Snowbird, but others have commented that it's largely the same - low base, rocks sticking out, etc. Snowbird has more of a chance to get bombed than Snowbasin, but at the moment, things aren't looking great for late season.post #6 of 82/22/13 at 3:01am
Last year was the first time I ever canceled an April trip. I had both Aspen and Highlands closing days scheduled on Southwest, so I could cancel without any fees. March was brutal last year with temps up in the 50-60's. Great spring skiing, but no snow the whole month and I pulled the plug on both closing days.
Mammoth and Whistler are both great spring skiing venues, but getting to them can be a Pita. Jackson closes 4/7, but I wouldn't hesitate to go up till then.
Lodging is never a problem that time of year, so you can go at the last minute. Reno, Salt Lake and Seattle are all served by Southwest.
Book two or three and choose the one that has the best conditions the day before you depart. You have a year to use your flight credits, which isn't a problem for me.post #7 of 82/22/13 at 4:45ampost #8 of 82/22/13 at 7:49amMt Bachelor in Oregon. Base will +100 inches. On a sunny day the summit will be open for 360 degree access. On a storm day summit is closed but fresh powder everywhere and April dumps are a real possibility just have to hit it right. Fun off-piste tree skiing and long groomers. Fly Into o Redmond, Oregon.
- Where to ski THIS year in early April?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - An Unofficial Guide to Skiing...
- › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab 3 minutes ago
- › Blizzard Bonafide vs Nordica Enforcer 18 minutes ago
- › What's your ski trip rig? Lets see some pictures! 28 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 31 minutes ago
- › First Time Buying Skis and Boots - Do It All Together? 35 minutes ago
- › Beginner boots rent vs buying + ski/walk mode 40 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 50 minutes ago
- › Where HAVE you skied? 53 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 56 minutes ago
- › How many sizes of skis will my child go through? 1 hour ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer