- 23 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Outside Magazine’s 2012 Ski Resort Rankings Last post on 11/7/12 at 7:44am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Advice on best location (UT/WY) for a week of pow in early March [from Chicago] Last post on 3/7/17 at 9:39pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- How to Approach Snowbird and Jackson Hole - One Day Each Last post on 1/31/16 at 11:06pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- If you could only ski one resort... Last post on 3/9/16 at 8:56am in General Skiing Discussion
- Mountain Collective 2015/16 [11 destinations, including Aspen, Stowe, Taos, Sun Valley, . . .] Last post on 3/1/16 at 10:52am in Skiing News
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillanLast edited: 11/21/16
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - An Unofficial Guide to Skiing...Last edited: 10/8/13
- Snowbird Unofficial GuideLast edited: 11/7/15
- Mt. Bachelor - A PictorialLast edited: 8/4/13
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Where to ski THIS year in early April?post #1 of 82/21/13 at 12:30pmThread StarterHello. I have done a little research on optimal locations for a spring trip and was just wondering based on the way things are shaping up now are the usual suspects still the primary candidates for a trip the 1st 2 weeks of April? I am thinking of Snowbird currently but they seem to be a little lower than average this year. What thinks ye? Thanks.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 82/21/13 at 12:35pm
There's a thread on this topic about four threads down. It has some information about this season, and it sounds like Mammoth might be a better choice. The base has been pretty dodgy in UT, and I don't see late season shaping up that great.post #3 of 82/21/13 at 1:41pmpost #4 of 82/21/13 at 4:25pmThread StarterThis will be the latest we have ever skied, we are usually golfing in early April. I've been to Snowbird/Alta several times. I know I like the terrain. I also like Jackson Hole and Kirkwood. Wild and woolly terrain with good potential for fresh snow.
I wouldnt hesitate to go to Snowbird right now. If things stay on this track will Snowbird have coverage issues?
i'm in the mid atlantic so mammoth might be a pain to get to. How about jackson Hole/targhee? PNW?
Appreciate the insight folks!post #5 of 82/21/13 at 4:47pm
Up at Snowbasin, the base is way down under 60 inches. I've pretty much given up on the idea of it getting to normal now that it's moving into late February. There are rocks and weeds all over, including in the middle of major runs. The snow hasn't been bad, just on and off with long, warm, dry periods in between. Unless it starts dumping for weeks straight, I see the base being pretty low by April.
I can't speak specifically to Snowbird, but others have commented that it's largely the same - low base, rocks sticking out, etc. Snowbird has more of a chance to get bombed than Snowbasin, but at the moment, things aren't looking great for late season.post #6 of 82/22/13 at 3:01am
Last year was the first time I ever canceled an April trip. I had both Aspen and Highlands closing days scheduled on Southwest, so I could cancel without any fees. March was brutal last year with temps up in the 50-60's. Great spring skiing, but no snow the whole month and I pulled the plug on both closing days.
Mammoth and Whistler are both great spring skiing venues, but getting to them can be a Pita. Jackson closes 4/7, but I wouldn't hesitate to go up till then.
Lodging is never a problem that time of year, so you can go at the last minute. Reno, Salt Lake and Seattle are all served by Southwest.
Book two or three and choose the one that has the best conditions the day before you depart. You have a year to use your flight credits, which isn't a problem for me.post #7 of 82/22/13 at 4:45ampost #8 of 82/22/13 at 7:49amMt Bachelor in Oregon. Base will +100 inches. On a sunny day the summit will be open for 360 degree access. On a storm day summit is closed but fresh powder everywhere and April dumps are a real possibility just have to hit it right. Fun off-piste tree skiing and long groomers. Fly Into o Redmond, Oregon.
- Where to ski THIS year in early April?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Summit County 4/11-13 11 minutes ago
- › Review: Parlor Kingfisher 105 in medium and stiff flexes 2016-2017 13 minutes ago
- › Demo day at Crystal, March 25, 2017 17 minutes ago
- › My 2nd annual Banff trip: March 9 – 11, 2017 19 minutes ago
- › Skier's Edge. When do they go on sale? 20 minutes ago
- › Powder or corn 20 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 29 minutes ago
- › My Excellent Toe Surgery Adventure - Hallux Rigidus, Plate/Screw... 51 minutes ago
- › Spring Trip to Vermont [driving from DC, looking for greens and... 1 hour, 35 minutes ago
- › Buying passes for the next N.A. season, 2017-18, don't wait until... 1 hour, 36 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview