Just got back from Snowbird, Snowbasin, DeerValley, SnowKing, Jackson Hole. The bad news is I got sick (sick throat and major cold) on the flight while going there. It took 7 days to fully recover (today). On top of that I went there with my 4 and 6 year old, so I did not get to ski much.
The good news is I was blown away by the beauty and snow at Wyoming. I liked it so much that I booked a trip back to Jackson this Tuesday :)
Will keep this short, and point few things out.
1. Snowbasin - what a resort, what a view. I used to like Lake Louise the most in terms of views, but Snowbasin, DeerValley, and Jackson made me change that opinion. Now I have no favorite. If I lived in Utah, Snowbasin would be my home mountain.
If I lived in Wyoming, Jackson Hole would do it.
2. DeerValley - what a resort, if you have kids this is the resort for you. Dining was half the price of what I pay for pizza/beer/chick wings in Mountain Creek, New Jersey.
3. SnowKing - I go there for 2 hours only as that's how much time I have. Top half of the mountain is already closed, so I get up to mid base and what I see? I see an amazing view of Jackson with elks grouped together for the night. Amazing. A must see if in Jackson (bad pic below as it was dark for GoPro).
4. Jackson Hole - what a snow, best snow I have ever seen in a resort. Advanced mountain. Not too crowded at the top.
5. Drive from Salt Lake City to Jackson a must do if you're from an urban area like me and want to see how wild it gets at night (wild animals [I almost ran a wolf], no lights, just you driving at night, scary).
6. Seeing all the farms in Utah while driving from Ogden to Park City.
7. Backcountry skiers in Wyoming popping onto highway all over while driving from Jackson to Idaho Falls.
8. Seeing 6000 elks is a must.
9. The Lodge at Jackson
10. My 6 year old learn how to ski steep terrain with more snow vs East Cost.
11. Cheap car rental by Thrifty.
12. Family friendly tram at Snowbird.
1. Wind blown snow in Utah.
2. Snowbrid snow was the worst with Mineral Basin being hard as a rock.
3. Lack of snow in Utah comparing to Wyoming.
4. Getting sick.
5. Super scary lifts at SnowKing.
6. Family Unfriendly Jackson Hole.
Leaving on Tuesday to Jackson for 3 days. I'm thinking of hitting Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, and SnowKing for an hour just to take good pics from the top. The airplane tickets are cheaper next week ($327 from New York City), so it works out perfect. I have never gone back to a ski resort like that. I would not be surprised if I move to Wyoming one day. Will try to produce a nice video from this trip.