- 59 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Location: St John, Indiana
- Select All Posts By This User
- itemVail Resorttagged by marznc, 2/26/13
Related Forum Threads
- Where should I go for a ski vacation? [Feb family trip, non-skiing mom, from MA] Last post on 10/8/16 at 6:28am in General Skiing Discussion
- Trip in Feb. Need advice on when to buy passes [family, 4 ski days at Vail, Keystone, Breck] Last post on 9/11/16 at 6:34pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Vail vs Alta/Bird Last post on 9/13/16 at 7:21pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- The "Park City Effect": UT Records Best Skier Visits Last post on 7/27/16 at 8:19pm in Skiing News
- The Bunkhouse, Vail's first and only boutique hostel opening May 26th. Last post on 10/1/16 at 6:15pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain Resort
Headed to vail for the first time
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I grew up in Brookfield and my first skiing experience was at Four Lakes.
Vail is very different. However, I've only skied there twice. It offers a lot to explore.
Without knowing your skiing level or the type of skis you use it is tricky to make recommendations.
If you are fortunate enough to get a true powder day you should consider demoing some fat new powder skis. You might also consider a powder lesson if things don't feel wonderfully comfortable.
When you tire of the frontside just drop into the Bowls, if you aren't crazy about the conditions, just keep going into Blue Sky Basin. Lift lines typically are not a big issue during the week but on weekends try to avoid Mid-Vail around 10-11:30, Orient Express around 3ish, and Northwoods Express around 3-4
As for food, the best and very inexpensive Mexican food is actually in the Vail Village transportation center (1 level down from top). In Lionshead, definitely go to the Little Diner for breakfast or brunch, the Blue Moose for pizza and don't forget the gelatto place down past the skating rink.
As a strong intermediate, you will really like Vail. Some the greens at Vail may be closer to blues where you are used to skiing. Take the Gondi up from Lionshead and warm up by either going back to Game Creek and taking Lost Boy or take some of the front side greens down to chair 2 or 3. Once you are comfortable on the greens, look at the trail map and start hitting some of the blues.
Bart and Yetis is a favorite Lionshead apre ski of some Bears for Wings and beer. Lots of options for good places to eat including Sweet Basil in the Village.
Forgot to mention that the Burton US Open is the same week you are there (practice started Monday 2/25 with finals over the weekend)- all the events are being held at Golden Peak (chair 6)...saw some pretty big air yesterday!
- Headed to vail for the first time
- › Big Sky 2016-2017 6 minutes ago
- › Rate my workout! 9 minutes ago
- › EpicSki is not down - Comcast major DNS outage 13 minutes ago
- › Boutique Vs Big Brands: Which do you prefer? 18 minutes ago
- › Recommendation allmountain skis [to replace Armada TST] 19 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 27 minutes ago
- › New Instructional Video: JF Beaulieu, Andreas Spittle & Nadine... 28 minutes ago
- › Another What ski/size question, with a twist... 36 minutes ago
- › The MAX Pass 2016-17 for 39 areas: Killington, Tremblant, Big Sky,... 43 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 58 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer
- › 68 Days: A Story of Skiing's Life...