or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Steamboat Feb 10- just another day at the boat this season- lots of pics!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steamboat Feb 10- just another day at the boat this season- lots of pics! - Page 2

post #31 of 49

gregmerz, thanks for the offer. That would be great. I get in late Friday night and am planning to get out fairly early on Sat. I will likely have to cut out around noon to head to HDN to pick up my friend.  Let me know how I can best connect with your posse.  Another 9" on the morning ski report!

post #32 of 49

Make that 13.5" in 24 hours on the updated noon report!!!

post #33 of 49

Hey, where'd all this snow come from?! Yesterday afternoon was awsome. No crowds and the snow just kept piling up. The upper mountain was definitely getting pummeled. I spent most of the afternoon in the trees with my son. We made a quick run up to the top and skied North St. Pats. The snow was great but the runout sucks. No news there but the face was fun. Earlier in the day some of the runs were a little bit of a rough ride with firm bumps under a half a foot of powder but by late afternoon that all smoothed out. Checked out quite a few of the off map areas on my list. Couldn't find Timex but found something like it. wink.gif The snow was deep enough in places for legitimate face shots by the time we quit. Not the telemark half-on-the-ground-already faceshots but the standing up kind. Snowed all night so today should be even better. I hope you guys get up here and get some. No pics yet. They're on my phone and I haven't got them off yet.......maybe later.

post #34 of 49

Cool - wish we were there to join you but I'm still recovering from the last round. 

 

BTW - where is Timex supposed to be located - I don't know it (is it the out of bounds stuff near Rolex which I've heard called "Chernobyl" due to the sun exposure)?th_dunno-1[1].gif

post #35 of 49

Snow piled up all night and yesterday was shin to knee deep on the upper mountain and in the trees. It was still snowing in the morning but cleared off and the afternoon gave us bright sunshine. It stayed cold enough so the snow stayed perfect. Didn't come off the mountain for lunch because we didn't want to waste the time. Christmas Tree was skiing pretty nice if you could find an untracked line. Pulled a hamstring (reinjury) skiing some off-map (waaaay off)  stuff when it was thigh deep (not kidding or exaggerating) so I will be taking it easy for the rest of the week. It was very steep and very deep. I couldn't get my skis up enough to turn. Couldn't ski it fast enough to float, too many unknowns ahead.

post #36 of 49

Nope, inbounds. I don't think Timex is a commonly used name. I want to find an unamed spot and call it Bolex.cool.gif

post #37 of 49
Thread Starter 

I think we are talking about wristband trees or just off to the skiers left of rolex. its predominantly evergreens and can be DEEP. 

post #38 of 49

Yeah - perhaps Timex is the one to the skier's left of Rolex while Wristband is what we normally ski to the right...dunno (and I'm not even sure of which side is officially called Wristband)....

 

Enjoy the snow coming in tonite, Sunday/Monday, later next week...argghh - def' need to arrange my schedule for a trip back up next weekdrool.gif

post #39 of 49
Thread Starter 

you know its coming in!  I think I have a KBS here.....  

post #40 of 49

Wristband is skiers left ski-ra.  Honestly never heard of anyone refer to timex but everyone has different names for the same areas.

 

Glad to see you're finding good snow skibum... only had time for one lap of my favorite area yesterday but it was nice, deep, and fluffy, (yet oddly a bit crowded possibly due to the recent circus of media attention?).

post #41 of 49
Thread Starter 

never heard timex either but I agree, its wristband they are referring to.  

post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

never heard timex either but I agree, its wristband they are referring to.  

 

.......and it was nice. Probably skied out by now, though.wink.gif

post #43 of 49
Thread Starter 

im sure it is but theres always another storm

post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tam View Post

Wristband is skiers left ski-ra.  Honestly never heard of anyone refer to timex but everyone has different names for the same areas.

 

Glad to see you're finding good snow skibum... only had time for one lap of my favorite area yesterday but it was nice, deep, and fluffy, (yet oddly a bit crowded possibly due to the recent circus of media attention?).

Maybe. We used the same ski out on our adventure. I think we hooked up with the trail out a bit lower down than you. We had some big rocks/chutes to maneuver through on our way off the top.

post #45 of 49
Thread Starter 

chutes over there? 

post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

chutes over there? 

Oooops! Nope, not off Rolex. I was replying to the second part of tam's post. There could've been a better way down but we weren't looking at it.

post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibumm100 View Post

Oooops! Nope, not off Rolex. I was replying to the second part of tam's post. There could've been a better way down but we weren't looking at it.

Now I definitely don't know where you're talking... I'm thinking you've got a name very wrong.  And if you're exploring out of the gates, please remember, it's verrrry easy to mess up... not a good place to be exploring on your own: http://m.steamboattoday.com/news/2013/feb/14/rescues-aplenty-steamboat-ski-area-backcountry/

post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tam View Post

...And if you're exploring out of the gates, please remember, it's verrrry easy to mess up... not a good place to be exploring on your own: http://m.steamboattoday.com/news/2013/feb/14/rescues-aplenty-steamboat-ski-area-backcountry/
Yep - that pretty much sums up the terrain I know from hiking/MTB'ing in the Fish Creek drainage.... MTB'ing it is a pretty agro deal even with a well-worn trail to follow....

So what's the name of the trees to the skier's right of Rolex?
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tam View Post

Now I definitely don't know where you're talking... I'm thinking you've got a name very wrong.  And if you're exploring out of the gates, please remember, it's verrrry easy to mess up... not a good place to be exploring on your own: http://m.steamboattoday.com/news/2013/feb/14/rescues-aplenty-steamboat-ski-area-backcountry/

 

OK, I'll try to clear this up. Off the side of Rolex we skied Wristband but I was looking for Timex. Not sure Timex is in common use as a name. Might be the other side of Rolex but I don't know for sure.

 

The chutes and steeps were outside of the gates. Warning noted.....followed a fairly well beaten path. Had a pretty good idea where it was taking us. But......just because it's well beaten doesn't mean it's easy....or safe. Looking back up from the bottom, it was easy to see a lot of places you didn't want to be.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Steamboat Feb 10- just another day at the boat this season- lots of pics!