This thread seems to be getting out of hand. It is out of hand. I think it is safe to say:
1) The KB seems safer for recreational skiers.
2) The KB has not been tested with WC racers at WC speed with WC stress, so it is impossible to say Lindsey Vonn would have fared safer with this technology.
3) The KB people aren't going to give out their technology for free, and there is IMHO no reason why they should. I imagine they would love for other companies to license their technology, and perhaps that is a goal.
4) Other companies don't use the technology for a simple reason: Most people aren't demanding the technology believing the current technology used by most manufacturers is good enough. Not all consumers use the KB because they think their current bindings are good enough, they never heard of KB, or they don't have the $ to purchase a Kneebinding. A lot of people also do not wear helmets. Just because something is safer doesn't mean everyone wants it.
5) There are two ways to build demand for this new technology now that the early adopters are well into the product. The first is consumer education, which is what the Chairman is trying to do in this thread. He is hoping educated customers will create demand for this technology either directly from KB or from their current brands (licensing). The other way is the old marketing way that most of us here probably respond to. Get World Cup racers on new technology and then watch the product fly off the shelves. It seems the Chairman is not going for this route. I can understand a good reason why, which is the expense. That is why you see Stockli winning WC races, but they can't afford to equip a stable of racers like HEAD and Atomic so very few skiers use the brand. But the fact that they are used in the WC helps give the stamp of approval to the very skiers that give the brand a cult following. If the Kneebindings were used on the WC I predict the effect would be similar to Bode winning those early races on shaped skis, Killy on Lange boots, etc. A lot of people would want the product.
For the record, I don't ski on Kneebindings simply because I am using up bindings I bought or traded for some time ago (Pivots never go out of style). I don't know anyone currently at the KB company.
Edited by quant2325 - 2/7/13 at 10:35pm