or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Atomic Alibi-anybody skiing them?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Atomic Alibi-anybody skiing them?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

Anybody skiing the Atomic Alibi? I'm looking for a ski to replace my Atomic Snoops (the later 94 waist version) with something rockered. Most skiing is in Upstate NY with two or more trips out west per year. I've got GS and slalom skis for when conditions are hard, but want something more relaxed to use when things get chopped up and for western skiing.

 

Me: 60 yrs. 5'10" 175 lbs. Beer league and Masters hack racer. I prefer an everyday ski that is playful rather than overly stiff which won't punish me if I get out of balance skiing trees or bumps. I won't get a chance to demo skis in this or wider category. I'm thinking of the Alibis in 180 length.

 

Any thoughts?

post #2 of 26

Fun and playful, with a bit more oomph than the Access, but not as much as the Ritual. I prefer the Ritual when conditions warrant that category, but my home resort is a little different than your's.

post #3 of 26

The Alibi isn't flying off the shelves of ski shops the way the Access did. Opinions on the ski seem to be mixed. I spoke to an experienced heli skier at Whistler who demoed the Alibi and didn't like it. His recommendation was to be sure to try it out before buying. I have been told the Alibi is a lot like the Theory, but with metal. Not necessarily a good thing, as the Theory bombed in Whistler. None of the Whistler ski shops I visited have this season's version of the Theory. Maybe the Alibi will do better. 

post #4 of 26
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys! I did a brief demo of the Theory when it was first introduced and it was similar in feeling to my Snoops (this was at our local hill).

 

I guess if I can at a decent deal I might take a chance on the Alibi, but I may just wait 'til I can actually try a few different mid fat/fat skis out West-sure haven't needed 'em here this year!

post #5 of 26

i skied the 2008 theorys in utah a few weeks back, i really enjoyed them. they did well in anything i put them through, and when you wanted to go a million miles an hour they went, i couldnt find the speed limit on them(too scared) but my buddy got to 55mph(according to his alpine tracker). I too have been looking for new skis and ill be demoing the alibi this weekend at baker.

post #6 of 26

 

 

Hey John V.

 

I own the Atomic Alibi's, after about 6 months of deliberating whether to go alibi's, or line prophet 98s, volkl kendo's, and line chronics.

i'm happy with my choice, my first mid fat ski at 98 underfoot, it truely is an all mountain. I'm 5'10, 150lbs, 3+ skier with racing background and 19 years of skiing, teaching included. I ski the Atomic Alibi in 180cm

 

edge grip.

FANTASTIC! that sidewall/cap construction got it done. used to skiing on atomic race sl's and gs skis with superb edge grip, i was worried that edge grip on such a wide ski from what i was used to would be not so amazing. now, it isn't as rediciolously grippy as my race ski, but its the perfect amount of release and grip, where i can feather my movement down a steep ice pack jump turning with no problems. if i did that with race skis the edges would just grab, and would not let me slide, thus it'd actually feel alittle more uncomfortable. 

 

torsional and lateral stiffness. 

both fantastic, though it has the early rise tips and tails, i found it was still stiff enough length wise to rail some amazing GS turns into hardback, yet the early rise allows me to still carve,(mind you with alot of knee articulation) in chunky, chopped up terrain. torsionally, fantastic again, edge grip was superb and i don't notice any torsional play throughout the length of the ski. Again, comparing to race skis i've skied on, not as stiff, but still got that legendary atomic stiffness i craze in my skis, just alittle subdued so its more fun and manageable then a race ski in the crud. 

 

Maneuverability and ride

these ride shorter then your average ski, which gives you two good positives. one, there extremely maneuverable because of how it rides short, (probably because of early rise and the twintip design) and two, you can ski them longer which benefits you with floatation in powder. Did i mention these are great everywhere, like everywhere? they hold a strong carve through the groomers, a strong carve through the crud and chopped up snow, and there nimble enough to enjoy yourself bump runs all day. there an extremely good all rounder. 

 

final notes

i can't tell you how much i love these skis, i dunno if its the metal in the ski (frankly i'm not a measurement machine so i can't tell you how much stiffer it got with it), or that i like atomics, but its a perfect balance of weight, (heavy enough to charge and plow through crud), grip(the perfect amount of grip, too much would make me feel uneasy on steep jump turns where i can't feather the descent), and stiffness(wonderfully stiff, again that perfect amount, doesn't chatter, powers out of carves in the groomers, and enough to charge with, though i'd reccommend on untouched snow. going 84.6km/hr based on my ski pursuit app by rossi, it was alittle sketchy....) hmm whatelse. oh it does chip on the tips and tails easily, my first season with it and its already got maybe 2-3 very small chips. and the black matt portions of the ski itself do show scratches and blemishes really easily....(clear sticker protector maybe?)

the skis compared to a race ski, feel more playful, subdued in the stiffness and edge grip department, and overall better all around the mountain. i've even got the chance to do some powder skiing with about 15-20cm's of pow in the snow, floats amazing. and the 98 underfoot isn't as fat as you think on the grooms, the early rise in tip and tail makes it feel like it goes edge to edge quicker, it skis like a slimmer ski. 

 

now why did i not go for the ritual? I just couldn't do it....103mm and i'm skiing east coast majority of the time? it'd be overkill, me being only 150 pounds the 98 would still offer plenty of float, yet be that much more maneuverable in the groomers. if i wanted anything over 100mm, i'd be going for the atomic automatic or bent chetlers. 

I'm telling you, I didn't like wide skis in the beginning, i thought i would feel sluggish, and tired skiing these big pontoons around. bought and skied, now i can't get enough of them, go big or go home, i don't know why people buy skis sub 80 when there home mountain, where it will never be perfect groomed slopes, rather more like chopped up, and mixed terrain by the second hour. thats what these are perfect for, all conditions, anywhere, anytime.my weapon of choice.

if you got anymore questions let me know. 

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by nohname420 - 2/13/13 at 4:13pm
post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the info nohname. If you're out of Toronto, you're probably skiing conditions very similar to what we see here in Western NY. Good to know they work in that as well as out west.

post #8 of 26

Great review of the Alibi. I'm planning a trip to Whistler in March, the Alibi is on my list of skis to rent or demo.

post #9 of 26

let me change my top speed record...96.6km/hr just this tuesday at tremblant. It was doable, it really charges well. I got to used them this week for four days in tremblant. everything has been great with these, I just hit some rock and grinded out my a part of the edge underfoot....(I"M NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT) but riding in natural areas what do you expect. first tracks gave me an opportunity to do amazing powder runs on wed and thurs, when we got a dumping all night, totalling around 20-30cm on particular spots and runs. these things float! turn initiation is great in the pow so easy, and super fun. again, ritual? i dunno. but alibi did their job and did it well. its also less expensive.

post #10 of 26

I skied both the Alibi and the Ritual today at Big Sky.  There was about 4-5" of fresh snow on top of a very hard base.  I really could not tell that the Rituals were wider, but 5mm isn't much.   There is a difference in how they feel but for me the Ritual was very stable, blasted through the piles of loose snow, handled untracked snow in the trees without any difficulty and was also fine in the bumps.  I found it quite quick edge to edge which was important since I went the wrong direction in an area where I've never skied at Big Sky and found myself committed to a steep chute about 12-15' wide and maybe 20' long which required a few very quick turns.  The Ritual is on my list for next season.  The Alibi was good but it didn't give me the "wow" factor the Ritual did.

post #11 of 26

Reviews just piss me off these days.  How can you listen to a guy who maybe just loves a Mantra or a Bonafide then he demos the Alibi and gives a review???  Never gonna work.  He is used to a pretty flat cambered power ski with a longer turn radius and if you want the Alibi you want a playful ski that also happens to have power with a tighter radius.  

 

If you are a good skier you know what you want and the ski just fits your eye then you go for it.  

 

Stop reading so much crap.

 

Go into the shop.  Flex the ski, checkout the sidecut, give it a few looks and if it what you visualize yourself killing lines on then you buy it - that simple.

post #12 of 26

Glad the review pissed you off, go sulk somewhere else now. some people value reviews, and input from a wide range of users that not only like "mantra's or a Bonafide" (which i don't...btw, don't make stuff up there swell hunter) or like a certain ski over another doesn't mean its rendered useless.

your gonna hypocritizise yourself? flexing the ski, checking out sidecut all pertains to reviewing a ski personally, that review is my personal review, of the ski, which i chose to share. If you don't like reviews, why review yourself? irony.gif

post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohname420 View Post

Glad the review pissed you off, go sulk somewhere else now. some people value reviews, and input from a wide range of users that not only like "mantra's or a Bonafide" (which i don't...btw, don't make stuff up there swell hunter) or like a certain ski over another doesn't mean its rendered useless.

your gonna hypocritizise yourself? flexing the ski, checking out sidecut all pertains to reviewing a ski personally, that review is my personal review, of the ski, which i chose to share. If you don't like reviews, why review yourself? irony.gif

Good question.

 

Maybe in the time since I posted my last review I have just become jaded by reviews - particularly like skigear.com and stuff.

 

In the case of the Alibi - here is a ski that some claim as ski of the year potential and others say it blows.

 

Really?  How can a ski rip and suck at the same time?

 

Doesn't that bother you at least a little bit?

 

And, btw, I was not attacking your post at all - just replying to the OP who seemed confused b/c of the "mixed reviews" and basically telling him to screw the reviews.

 

But you said your piece about me and I hope that made you feel good bro.

post #14 of 26

So, would you say this is a good ski for people who like to carry their skis one in each hand, dragged on the snow, with their poles in an "X" shape?

post #15 of 26
Precisely. It does bother me that this ski gets moxed reviews. But review is a review. I simply had mine done.
post #16 of 26
Yes. That picture precisely shows what kind of skier likes this ski. -_-
post #17 of 26

If every person liked exactly the same thing, there would only be one ski on the market.  But, people don't like the same things necessarily and that's why there are lots of options for skis, boots, cars, you name it.  Lots of people really like the Line Prophet 90, I tried them and thought they felt like 2x4s, slow and clunky.  I thought the Bushwacker was just OK but nothing special.  I tried the Rossi S7 and Volkl Gotamas and couldn't wait to get off them, same thing with the K2 Richtor 82.  What I've found that I really like are the Nordica Steadfast, Icelantic Shaman, Volkl RTM 84, Elan SL Waveflex Fusion,  Atomic Ritual, and Nordica Fire Arrow 84 EDT.  The first two I already own and the last two are replacing them next season.  There might be other skis out there that I would also really like but when I find a ski I like as much as either the Ritual or FA 84 EDT it's time to stop looking and buy. Demoing skis is the way to find what you really like,  but flexing a ski in a shop is about as useful as kicking the tires on a car.  And will accomplish as much as trying to teach a pig to sing.biggrin.gif

post #18 of 26
Got a pair of 187's with FFG12's for $400 + shipping. Perfect shape. They are good skis.smile.gif
post #19 of 26

I totally agree with the comments on the Line Prophet 90 and the Rossi S7. I made a point of demoing them mainly because of all the positive reviews they get. Guess what, didn't like either of them. Reviews are useful, but you really have to get out on a ski to know if it will work for your skiing style and preferences.

post #20 of 26

in my estimation the reviews against this ski are wrong.  I haven't skied it (I have the theory), but can imagine the difference.  basically it has the best balance of any ski, and for its general purpose I would think the theory is a slightly nicer.  if you want to go super fast with good edge grip, you should get a race ski or something similar.

post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by swellhunter View Post

If you are a good skier you know what you want and the ski just fits your eye then you go for it.  

 

Stop reading so much crap.

 

Go into the shop.  Flex the ski, checkout the sidecut, give it a few looks and if it what you visualize yourself killing lines on then you buy it - that simple.

ROTF.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post

If every person liked exactly the same thing, there would only be one ski on the market.  But, people don't like the same things necessarily and that's why there are lots of options for skis, boots, cars, you name it. 

This ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2ski123 View Post

in my estimation the reviews against this ski are wrong.  I haven't skied it (I have the theory), but can imagine the difference.  basically it has the best balance of any ski, and for its general purpose I would think the theory is a slightly nicer.  if you want to go super fast with good edge grip, you should get a race ski or something similar.

FWIW, I rode up a lift with a guy whose Theory was his OSQ, he had tried the Alibi, much preferred the Theory. Said it was better in tight places, and surprisingly, had better grip. Found the Alibi a bit unpredictable on firm snow. Did a few turns down with him, solid skier. My conclusion? That although this is a gear forum, it's more about the skier. You can have three technically accomplished skiers who will give three different takes on the same ski. The tipoff usually is when a good skier says something to the effect of "not my cuppa tea." Which means, yes, I can see why others might like this, but I don't want the same things from a ski. What I look for is a kind of consensus on what the strengths and weaknesses are, rather than a consensus on what's "good," or "best." That I leave to the salespeople. 

post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by prickly View Post

So, would you say this is a good ski for people who like to carry their skis one in each hand, dragged on the snow, with their poles in an "X" shape?


You do know that the look is a reaction against the Euro-look, going back to when? turn of the century roughly? biggrin.gif

 

can the X-shape be controlled?  most just grip the toepiece or ski edges and let the poles bounce along on the wrist straps. saw a kid hike about 15 minutes this way a few days ago. nice to be strong.

 

on the subject of demo-ing and its value, some skis now are so different than what a skier has been on, that a few hours or even a day is an inadequate test. you get an idea of the feel, but you're really not ready to make a review of its qualities based on that. unless you have a ton of experience with different designs already.

post #23 of 26

I can help you. Looks like we were poured out of the same mold, your profile could be mine.  I ski the UP of Michigan, so apples to apples.

 

I was skiing Lech last January in really variable conditions.  Hard pack to slush and everything in between, depending on elevation.  I was renting a pair of stepped down race something or others, which just couldn't handle all the different conditions we had.  I went back to the shop and told the most serious looking kid working that I needed something better, and asked him what would he ski today if he had to go out right now.  He went in the back room and came out with the Alibi. 

 

What game changers. They did it all for me, especially off piste.  The real surprise however, was how well they cruised, carved and held on the groomed runs.  I'm all about fast and the Alibi's just excel in that regard, which was so unexpected.  Bottom line: got home and bought a pair (as did two other guys in our gang).

 

They are what I ski now.  On race day, I'm pretty sure I could ski to gold on them more days than not.  If you find something better for the all-around stuff we contend with in the Midwest and East, let me know.

 

Ski hard,

Bill Jr.

post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
 

Anybody skiing the Atomic Alibi? I'm looking for a ski to replace my Atomic Snoops (the later 94 waist version) with something rockered. Most skiing is in Upstate NY with two or more trips out west per year. I've got GS and slalom skis for when conditions are hard, but want something more relaxed to use when things get chopped up and for western skiing.

 

Me: 60 yrs. 5'10" 175 lbs. Beer league and Masters hack racer. I prefer an everyday ski that is playful rather than overly stiff which won't punish me if I get out of balance skiing trees or bumps. I won't get a chance to demo skis in this or wider category. I'm thinking of the Alibis in 180 length.

 

Any thoughts?


I think they are killer!

post #25 of 26

I have the Alibis and they are maybe the best do-it-all ski in the market. I took a chance on these in that I wanted the Bonafides, but could not get a good deal. I demoed the Theory and found it playful, but lacked stiffness; I took a chance figuring the Alibis would be similar in geometry and therefore skiability, but get the dampness and stability more like the bonafides, but with a shorter turn radius and more forgiveness. Frankly, I got lucky b/c I had always demoed before buying (and still strongly recommend it) due to the subtle differences that expert skiers will detect.

Interestingly enough, I was in Colorado and ended up skiing the first two days on the bonafides b/c my alibis had not arrived, and really liked the alibis better as they gave the stability but much more playfulness which really helped in the trees, and still could ski 'mach schnell" on them on the groomers with my way too fast buds.

 

They do chip in the tips quickly and they ski short...I like short skis b/c I am 50 and want less work, but I  regret not going for the 180's ( I have the 173s).

 

Also, I have demoed skis for 2+ years and finally bit the bullet and glad I did as I was coming from K2 Apache Recons that were getting a bit long in the tooth. Don't worry about going wide as I feel the 98's are a good width for East with occasional West trips b/c the new technology makes them very quick edge to edge. I agree with the other reviewer that you can feather the ski on hardpack/steeps but roll the edge and they will bite, and thus the forgiveness factor. I skied these on a sheet of ice on Cannon Mountain's front five (natives, you know what I mean!) and gripped when rolled, and if I got my proper length (180s) probably would have been even better!

 

The coolest part is you can get a really good deal on the 2013s. I am happy, but since I weigh 195lbs, I wished I had gone for 180s, If someone wants to buy my 173s let me know so I can turn around and get the 180s! (they are mounted with Marker Griffons)

post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by webskis View Post
 

I have the Alibis and they are maybe the best do-it-all ski in the market. I took a chance on these in that I wanted the Bonafides, but could not get a good deal. I demoed the Theory and found it playful, but lacked stiffness; I took a chance figuring the Alibis would be similar in geometry and therefore skiability, but get the dampness and stability more like the bonafides, but with a shorter turn radius and more forgiveness. Frankly, I got lucky b/c I had always demoed before buying (and still strongly recommend it) due to the subtle differences that expert skiers will detect.

Interestingly enough, I was in Colorado and ended up skiing the first two days on the bonafides b/c my alibis had not arrived, and really liked the alibis better as they gave the stability but much more playfulness which really helped in the trees, and still could ski 'mach schnell" on them on the groomers with my way too fast buds.

 

They do chip in the tips quickly and they ski short...I like short skis b/c I am 50 and want less work, but I  regret not going for the 180's ( I have the 173s).

 

Also, I have demoed skis for 2+ years and finally bit the bullet and glad I did as I was coming from K2 Apache Recons that were getting a bit long in the tooth. Don't worry about going wide as I feel the 98's are a good width for East with occasional West trips b/c the new technology makes them very quick edge to edge. I agree with the other reviewer that you can feather the ski on hardpack/steeps but roll the edge and they will bite, and thus the forgiveness factor. I skied these on a sheet of ice on Cannon Mountain's front five (natives, you know what I mean!) and gripped when rolled, and if I got my proper length (180s) probably would have been even better!

 

The coolest part is you can get a really good deal on the 2013s. I am happy, but since I weigh 195lbs, I wished I had gone for 180s, If someone wants to buy my 173s let me know so I can turn around and get the 180s! (they are mounted with Marker Griffons)


You will get less chipping if you do this sort of thing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Atomic Alibi-anybody skiing them?