Originally Posted by Tog
Should ski patrollers be required to carry guns?
If so, we should settle the helmet issue so they can practice with them on. I think the NRA will pay for the training, since patrollers make less than teachers. That means they're almost free.
I mean, if they don't carry them then only the non- ski patrollers will have them. That's not fair and now we're not safe and neither are they.
Some of those non-patrollers will be criminals, have had no background checks, or bought the firearm at a gunshow which is their god-given right so we can't do anything about it.
I know, we haven't covered the type of gun.
Well because of the distances involved they maybe should carry rifles. Yet, it's difficult to carry those on a lift. Ok, folding stock close quarters semi-auto assault rifle? That should take care of the distance plus any pack of coyotes that wanders onto the slopes. Plus, we could outfit them with the grenade launcher tube, (no, not for grenades! sheesh have some common sense here), so they could fire smoke flares. Imagine how thrilled the kids will be when they have to go down in the toboggan and the patroller fires off a smoke flare. Just awesome. Plus everyone in the area will know.
There is the danger of using the rifle on the lift. I mean if the person on the left needs to be taken out, how could a patroller sitting on the right swing the rifle quickly enough?
Ok, so they should have sidearms also? Maybe just an oldschool revolver though. In case it drops off the lift. Limited damage with only six shots.
- What? That plan may work at those small Eastern floosy ski areas, but in the West we have big places to ski. We need more than a short barreled folding stock assault rifle. Plus, what's this with the revolver nonsense?? That's the old wild west. They didn't have meth labs in the parking lot. They didn't even have parking. I mean did you see "No Country for Old Men"? Tommy Lee didn't have a chance. We're going to need in addition
some high powered scoped rifles. Maybe one or two per lift area.
- Plus, we want the grenade launcher with grenades. They need it for avalanche control. Out here it's real.
Look, you've got to compromise we can't have all these guns all over the slopes.
- You keep saying "slopes". Clearly you're from the East. Figures. We measure our ski areas in acres, not "slopes". A slope is a bunny hill for beginners. In order to cover our Acerage
we require some serious firepower. It's different out here. There's no way they should have anything less than a 9mm or .45 semi auto handgun as a sidearm.
Well no 20 shell clips for the handguns.
- So only the criminals will have them?
How do we know a patroller won't...
- Ok keep your clips. They're too heavy any way. They'll just carry extras.
If patrollers are going to carry all that firepower, they need helmets. They could get knocked out by the safety bar or fall and get a concussion. It's too much risk.
-So, now you want to take away their freedom?
You know this whole armed patrol thing is just crazy. It's a bad idea.
-Alright, alright we'll take the helmets. And the guns.
See, problem solved. Patrollers are wearin' helmets!
Next..."How safe are you with a Ski Instructor? Should ski school permit concealed carry firearms?"