EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Best Medical Schools with Nearby Skiing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Medical Schools with Nearby Skiing? - Page 3

post #61 of 77
Thread Starter 
Lots of good posts here- I'm surprised at how many people are still responding and I appreciate it. My last post was pretty pathetic honestly and it was just one of those long, grueling days where you question yourself like crazy. But anyway, many people here seem to understand my reasoning that keeping your sanity while in med school is as crucial as getting through med school itself. For me, after almost losing my life, I've come to realize that life is truly short and fragile. A part of me still craves my original dream of being a competent doctor and being able to help other people. However, it's frustrating since another part of me seems to be puling me away from dedicating the rest of my life to being a doctor. I can't help but have worries about studying so hard and reaching my goal, only to succumb to additional problems with my new self (ie. return of disease or dysfunction of my JPouch). I feel that mentally I would be able to succeed, but I'm not so sure about physically how my body will tolerate the tremendous stresses. When it comes down to it, each one of us has to take proper care of our own bodies first. If our own health is poor or deteriorating, we won't possibly be able to care for others which would defeat the purpose of being a doctor. In that sense, I just can't be 100% confident that I will be happy and healthy if I do choose to still become a doctor. Obviously some of you may say that you can't live your life that way otherwise you'll be scared about striving for any career. But I honestly just think that I may be better off striving for something a little less stressful and with more down time.

I am however, 100% positive that living in a mountainous area and being able to enjoy the beauty of nature each and every day (including skiing but not every day obviously) would in fact make me truly happy. I've been doing a lot of soul searching in the past week. And I've really come to the conclusion that while I still love science and have a curiosity of many things in life, I think it would be healthier and a wiser decision for me to try and find a career that isn't as stressful or time consuming as being a doctor is.

I hope others can understand my reasoning and thanks again for all the advice.
post #62 of 77

Nothing pathetic about your posts. Just the honest feelings of a man wrestling with what to do with the rest of his life while dealing with serious illness. I certainly wouldn't want to talk you into medical school if your heart isn't in it but I will say that it is very possible to get through medical school and have a medical career and have a good life, a family, and a lot of fun at the same time. A lot of the stresses are self imposed.  If you're still not certain you might want to take the MCAT's (a big deal in itself unfortunately, since almost everyone takes a prep course and the test itself isn't cheap) and then take your time deciding.   

post #63 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

Nothing pathetic about your posts. Just the honest feelings of a man wrestling with what to do with the rest of his life while dealing with serious illness. I certainly wouldn't want to talk you into medical school if your heart isn't in it but I will say that it is very possible to get through medical school and have a medical career and have a good life, a family, and a lot of fun at the same time. A lot of the stresses are self imposed.  If you're still not certain you might want to take the MCAT's (a big deal in itself unfortunately, since almost everyone takes a prep course and the test itself isn't cheap) and then take your time deciding.   

Thanks Oldgoat, definitely makes me feel better to hear something like that. I'm stil planning to take the MCAT this summer. So at least I'll still have the choice of applying to med schools and seeing what happens if I do. I may also take the GRE, and I actually have been thinking about getting my masters in a specific area of biology (which is my major) or maybe something cool and relatively new like astrobiology. I have always been a huge nerd when it comes to talking/learning about the universe, and I'm putting some thought into becoming an astromer or astrobiologist. I bought myself a relatively high tech telescope a few years back and I love so much to take it out on a clear night and gaze at stars, planets, and other celestial phenomena. I could definitely see myself working in the field and living close to some great skiing, especially since most professional telescopes are situated on top of mountains!
post #64 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg26 View Post


Thanks Oldgoat, definitely makes me feel better to hear something like that. I'm stil planning to take the MCAT this summer. So at least I'll still have the choice of applying to med schools and seeing what happens if I do. I may also take the GRE, and I actually have been thinking about getting my masters in a specific area of biology (which is my major) or maybe something cool and relatively new like astrobiology. I have always been a huge nerd when it comes to talking/learning about the universe, and I'm putting some thought into becoming an astromer or astrobiologist. I bought myself a relatively high tech telescope a few years back and I love so much to take it out on a clear night and gaze at stars, planets, and other celestial phenomena. I could definitely see myself working in the field and living close to some great skiing, especially since most professional telescopes are situated on top of mountains!

No you idiot. Glaciology, or climate studies, or some other field where the government pays you to be in the mountains.  A few years ago I met some glaciologists on top of Lamarck Col in the Sierra who were taking pictures of the Darwin and Mendel glaciers and comparing them to pictures taken in the 70's.  They agreed that glaciology was the greatest scam in academia and begged me not to tell on them.  And now I've gone and done it.  One year I met a couple who were being paid to count frogs in alpine lakes in the Sierra.  I don't think that job is still available--the frogs are gone. As far as astronomy goes--the big scopes I'm aware of are all on mountains that don't have snow. And if you do go into glaciology I don't want to hear about it--I'll be too jealous.

post #65 of 77

Gosh, mhg26 and oldgoat - you may be on to something! I keep telling my child that the goal, no matter the profession, is "government job" (since I wasn't smart enough to realize and act upon it until later in life)!

 

Anyway, mhg26, you are doing some good soul-searching - keep it up, and keep your eyes on the end of the run instead of the bumps in between (whatever that means to you)!

 

Kitty

post #66 of 77

OHSU Oregon with skiing at Hood is nice choice but 65 miles from OHSU. Lots to do in the summer also, salmon fishing, beach. 

 

But for pure skiing convenience it has to be University of UT.  You can be at Alta or Snowbird, world class ski areas, in 45 minutes (23 miles) and these have huge amounts of snow and long seasons.  Med school is a time crusher.  You need to be able to get skiing quickly and get back quickly and I don't think there's a med school closer to great skiing than UT. 

 

Also, skiing in NW is dicey due to lower altitude and generally warmer climate.  You can get in lots of skiing but you have to be able to go when conditions are good. Med school is going to tell you when you can go.  With UT, you can pretty much go any time, especially true for Alta and Snowbird.

post #67 of 77
Thread Starter 
Hey goat that was rude! I'm not an idiot, but I see your point haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygal View Post

Gosh, mhg26 and oldgoat - you may be on to something! I keep telling my child that the goal, no matter the profession, is "government job" (since I wasn't smart enough to realize and act upon it until later in life)!

Anyway, mhg26, you are doing some good soul-searching - keep it up, and keep your eyes on the end of the run instead of the bumps in between (whatever that means to you)!

Kitty

Lol I never thought about either, but im sure you get pretty nice benefits with a job in the government. But thanks, that definitely does have meaning to me kitty.
post #68 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg26 View Post

Hey goat that was rude! I'm not an idiot, but I see your point haha.
 

Just trying to save you from missing a great opportunity. wink.gif Or maybe I'm insanely jealous. I think I would have made a fine glaciologist.  And if you really get lucky you might find one of those stone age men in the ice, or at least a woolly mammoth. And shouldn't you be studying instead of wasting time on this forum? wink.gifwink.gif

post #69 of 77

Getting a little serious...

 

You should live your life as if you're going to live a very long time, but make sure you have fun just in case you're dead tomorrow.  In other words, prepare yourself for a career that will pay well enough that you can take a lot of ski vacations.  Some type of physician would fit the bill, although plenty of other jobs would, too.  I'm not too sure about glaciologist or astrobiologist, though.  There are some jobs that are even portable to ski towns.

 

I realize there are a lot of reasons why medical training may be difficult and/or impractical.  Still, medicine is a calling.  If you hear the call, I suggest you follow it.  Perhaps it's a cliche, but it's better to try and fail than not to try.  For someone like you, it may be helpful to have a goal that is grander than your situation.

post #70 of 77

I graduated from medical school more than 25 years ago, in what now seems like a bygone era.  My advice would be to go to the least-costly (cheapest) medical school that accepts you.  The worst thing you can do to yourself is accumulate unnecessary debt while in medical school.  If you can go to your state university that is probably your best bet.  Remember, any debt from your medical education (and any undergraduate debt) will be accruing interest until you begin practicing, which could be seven to ten or more years after you start medical school.  Also, you'll be entering practice in what promises to be a very uncertain time for the medical profession.  Residency will be your opportunity to choose a place to live. 

post #71 of 77

Yeah, government jobs, its the ticket... sh&tty pay compared to private industry, lots of bureaucracy to deal with, no bonus ever, every time politicians screw up you get a furlough threat, should I go on?  I bet those glaciologists work their arses off just trying to raise a family.   Seriously, this thread is stupid.  First of all, a ski board is not a pace to ask about career choices, that's rather immature.   Second, skiing is rarely a career for most people, it's a hobby.  Your career choice should be a calling, not an arrangement to enable your skiing habit.  If you are happy with what you are doing, you will always find ways to ski.  Good luck to you.    

post #72 of 77

As a current dental student with many med student friends, I can say that skiing while in professional school is definitely possible if you are dedicated. If I lived in a snowy area I could probably go skiing any weekend where I didn't have an exam on the Monday and be fine academically. Most medical schools these days allow you to skip class and stream lectures from anywhere, and in first year you really only have to show up for block exams and gross lab. [not the case for dental school] However, everything people have said about the pace of professional school vs undergrad is very true. It is easy to fall behind, and if you ever fail something they can easily try to kick you out. (I know from experience)

 

The medical and dental admission processes are long, difficult, and expensive. You should shadow, talk to medical students and residents, and be very sure you understand what you are getting into. Medical school must be your primary goal if you are going to be successful in gaining admission. It really is a lottery, especially if you are going to try to apply to a state school as a non-resident. You should be looking at admissions statistics and tuition more than ski area proximity, in my opinion. I really dislike living in Houston, but going to school here made sense, and once I graduate I can move to Colorado and ski at will. If you REALLY want to be a doctor, you will do it, but realize it may take multiple application cycles.

 

I am not trying to discourage you in any way, but just understand that you are entering a gauntlet. With one year left of undergrad class, I would focus on trying to get 4.0s and a strong MCAT so that your options are open. If you want to apply this cycle and not take a year off, you need to start writing personal statements etc now. I wish you the best of luck. 

post #73 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

Yeah, government jobs, its the ticket... sh&tty pay compared to private industry, lots of bureaucracy to deal with, no bonus ever, every time politicians screw up you get a furlough threat, should I go on?  I bet those glaciologists work their arses off just trying to raise a family.   Seriously, this thread is stupid.  First of all, a ski board is not a pace to ask about career choices, that's rather immature.   Second, skiing is rarely a career for most people, it's a hobby.  Your career choice should be a calling, not an arrangement to enable your skiing habit.  If you are happy with what you are doing, you will always find ways to ski.  Good luck to you.    

Aha--but glaciologists work for universities. Tenure, summers off, sabbaticals.

As far as immature--what could be more immature than a ski forum? 

And the OP wasn't making a career choice to enable a skiing habit--just asking for advice on where he could do some skiing while in school.  But as far as that goes I know an awful lot of docs who pick a specialty, a location, and a practice based on what it will mean for their lifestyle.  (I myself was a general and vascular surgeon, one the most brutal specialties from a time and energy standpoint, but still found plenty of time to ski, because of where I lived and the large group practice I was in.)  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xela View Post

Getting a little serious...

 

You should live your life as if you're going to live a very long time, but make sure you have fun just in case you're dead tomorrow.  In other words, prepare yourself for a career that will pay well enough that you can take a lot of ski vacations.  Some type of physician would fit the bill, although plenty of other jobs would, too.  I'm not too sure about glaciologist or astrobiologist, though.  There are some jobs that are even portable to ski towns.

 

It's understood that glaciologists have to hike for their turns. Now astrobiology is intriguing--you might not get to ski much but you could get sent to Mars.

post #74 of 77

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/2575/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_1_4_last

 

/thread

Thousands upon thousands of pages of advice on careers.

 

Also available at your local library to borrow for FREE.

post #75 of 77

Here's some trivia. . . a way to get school paid for (once you're done), and maybe end up somewhere (temporarily) where you can get away for skiing now and then. AND, have the chance to really help some people who need help, working in places where the population is underserved by medical professionals.

 

Okay, so Winslow Arizona is the only place showing a need for primary care doctors right now, and I have no idea how far that is from ski areas. . . . But would you look at how many places need dentists Montana? Maybe both of you, mhg26 and doublediamond223, need to check it out!

 

http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/index.html
 
http://nhscjobs.hrsa.gov/external/search/index.seam

 

 

Kitty

post #76 of 77

Whoops, I did not read it carefully - there aren't as many open slots right this minute in Montana as I thought at first glance. . . . but those positions are very dynamic, I am sure, and things will be changed by the time you are done with school.  (Though it does look as if right now there are some openings in northern Ohio. . . you could come here and, um, ski - tee hee! Sorry.)

 

oldgoat, you are cracking me up!

 

And I do have to admit, being in the medical field has been good for me! Never had to really worry about having a job.

 

Kitty

post #77 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygal View Post

Here's some trivia. . . a way to get school paid for (once you're done), and maybe end up somewhere (temporarily) where you can get away for skiing now and then. AND, have the chance to really help some people who need help, working in places where the population is underserved by medical professionals.

 

Okay, so Winslow Arizona is the only place showing a need for primary care doctors right now, and I have no idea how far that is from ski areas. . . . But would you look at how many places need dentists Montana? Maybe both of you, mhg26 and doublediamond223, need to check it out!

 

http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/index.html
 
http://nhscjobs.hrsa.gov/external/search/index.seam

 

 

Kitty

Have you ever been to winslow?   There is a reason there is a job opening there

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Best Medical Schools with Nearby Skiing?