or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Automotive/Car Talk › Full size SUV Rental in Denver
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Full size SUV Rental in Denver

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

Hello all,

 

I am traveling with some family to Copper in early March.  I have been looking fo a reasonable rental for a full size SUV to rent instead of taking the airport shuttle to Copper Mtn.  So far the best I can find for 5 days is about $150 a day + tax.  Does anyone know of anyplace that offers good rentals on SUV's.

 

We will need to take 4 + skis and luggage to Copper and take 6 back, hence the need for a full size such as a Suburban or Expedition.

 

Thanks,

 

Rick G

post #2 of 29

I just got back from skiing in Colorado. Go to rentacar.com.

Reserve an SUV at any of the major car companies through this site.

No payment is necessary at time of resy. I got a car for $20 a day for 5 days.

With taxes I paid $150 for 5 days. I didnt rent a SUV because it didnt snow, hopefully,

with all the new snow these past few days you will have better conditions.

 

Dont book an SUV through the car companies!!! You should be able to get something for 

$60-70

post #3 of 29

Sorry wrong website......go to rentalcars.com

post #4 of 29

Try Hotwire.  I just plugged in Wednesday, 3/6 thru Monday, 3/11 and got a total of $643 including taxes for that 5 day period. 

post #5 of 29

Also... Think about size.  Often, once you get to airport, you have choices.  I rented a "compact" SUV from Hertz in Bozeman through Hotwire.  I called and asked what choices I had.  They said it would be a RAV4 or Toyota Venza.  When I got there, the woman offered up a Subaru or Four-Runner, no extra charge at all.  

post #6 of 29

First tip, do not rent anything at the airport. I use Hertz but my wife and I take a cab downtown and pick up the vehicle there. For a week, it can save you hundreds of dollars.

post #7 of 29

Wait until you're about 10 days out, then book it.  As an example, look at your same pick-up and drop-off days (eg. a Sunday to Sunday, or whatever), but just ahead of now, and see how the rates change.  They'll get more expensive the farther ahead you look.  There's also the Priceline bid approach -- figure out the average rate of the large SUV's, then make your bid 30 - 40% less than that.  

 

An out-of-the-box angle would be to look at the outfits that rent RV's and motorhomes to summer travelers.  I went skiing one time up in British Columbia and found a crew-cab pickup truck with a cap at an RV rental agency.  They were happy to have the winter business and the price was significantly less than standard-fare car agency rentals.

post #8 of 29

Its super expensive. Cheapest ive found is Fox. Remember all car rental places in DIA add tax and airport fee and whatnot fees etc. The fees are a LOT. 

post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the replies.  I think we will take the shuttle to the resort and then just use the free public bus for getting around.  We are only there for 5 days and will be skiing 4 of them.  We are staying slope side so we don't have to worry about gettig to the area.

 

Rick G


Edited by rickg - 1/31/13 at 5:53am
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickg View Post

Thanks for the replies.  I think we will take the shuttle to the resort and then just use the free public bus for getting around.  We are only there for 45 days and will be skiing 4 of them.  We are staying slope side so we don't have to worry about gettig to the area.

 

Rick G

 

 

If you're there for forty-five days, I hope you're skiing more than four!!!! wink.gif

post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSloan View Post

 

 

If you're there for forty-five days, I hope you're skiing more than four!!!! wink.gif

And I'd probably just drive my own car, for 45 days -- no need to bother with a rental. Might as well buy! cool.gif

post #12 of 29

Fox is not so bad, they are a bit slow and a little away from the rest of the rental companies.  Just note--Jeep doesn't always mean 4x4 at Fox.  Driving around in the snow in a RWD Jeep Liberty is a PITA.

post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjardin View Post

Fox is not so bad, they are a bit slow and a little away from the rest of the rental companies.  Just note--Jeep doesn't always mean 4x4 at Fox.  Driving around in the snow in a RWD Jeep Liberty is a PITA.

 

This ^^ is true about a lot of rental companies. Be VERY clear that you want 4x4 or AWD. And then check the vehicle when you get it.

post #14 of 29

I should go straight to my rental car company, but thought I'd ask here since question is related to thread topic, sorry for semi-hijack. 

 

How do you make sure you get a SUV when you reserve a SUV?

 

I recently went on a two ski trip to CA and OR.  I reserved a 4wd jeep wrangler at the San Francisco airport in the usual manner through the company's website and thought I had a pretty good deal ($611 for two weeks).  I'm am not a frequent patron of rental car companies.  When I arrived to pick up the Jeep they told me that no 4wd vehicles of any type were available.  This was about 4 days after a 5' dump in the Tahoe region.  I was not happy and had nearly 2000 driving miles ahead of me in OR and CA snow country.  I went through about 20 minutes of negotiating and settled for a Chrysler minivan at the same rate as my wrangler.  They alleviated some of my concerns by actually encouraging me to buy a cheap set of chains and putting them on the vehicle if I came across chain rules in Tahoe.  I did this at one point during the trip and I was ultimately ok with the arrangement because my party grew to four people and the space of the minivan with chains worked better for me logistically than the little wrangler without chains.

 

If I had fully prepaid for the Jeep would that have guaranteed that it would be there for me when I arrived at the airport?

post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSloan View Post

 

 

If you're there for forty-five days, I hope you're skiing more than four!!!! wink.gif

Typo guys, typo!  I will be there for 5 days, skiing 4.  I have corrected my original post.

 

Rick G

post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post

I should go straight to my rental car company, but thought I'd ask here since question is related to thread topic, sorry for semi-hijack. 

 

How do you make sure you get a SUV when you reserve a SUV?

 

I recently went on a two ski trip to CA and OR.  I reserved a 4wd jeep wrangler at the San Francisco airport in the usual manner through the company's website and thought I had a pretty good deal ($611 for two weeks).  I'm am not a frequent patron of rental car companies.  When I arrived to pick up the Jeep they told me that no 4wd vehicles of any type were available.  This was about 4 days after a 5' dump in the Tahoe region.  I was not happy and had nearly 2000 driving miles ahead of me in OR and CA snow country.  I went through about 20 minutes of negotiating and settled for a Chrysler minivan at the same rate as my wrangler.  They alleviated some of my concerns by actually encouraging me to buy a cheap set of chains and putting them on the vehicle if I came across chain rules in Tahoe.  I did this at one point during the trip and I was ultimately ok with the arrangement because my party grew to four people and the space of the minivan with chains worked better for me logistically than the little wrangler without chains.

 

If I had fully prepaid for the Jeep would that have guaranteed that it would be there for me when I arrived at the airport?

 

In my experience, no. I find they give the vehicles to the first people to claim them - reservation or otherwise. I have had to really argue to get a 4WD that I've reserved in advance. Many of the rental car people try to convince me that because it is a Jeep (or whatever) it is 4WD. I've had to point out the lack of a transfer case (if 4WD) and, when that hasn't swayed them, indicate that there is no cool badge saying "4WD" on the outside of the vehicle (somehow that's usually what gets them over the lack of transfer case???).

post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post

If I had fully prepaid for the Jeep would that have guaranteed that it would be there for me when I arrived at the airport?

 

No, I prepaid Budget via Hotwire once in Norfolk and arrived at 11pm.   No cars at all till 7am the next day.   I bailed to another car company and had to pay the counter rate.  I don't ever see a reason to prepay and I won't use Hotwire for cars again.

post #18 of 29

Even as a Hertz Gold Club member, I have to fight for 4WD. For just regular rentals, it's great. I show up, skip the counter, and head to my car. However, the 4WD issue is a conundrum.

post #19 of 29

Pretty much travel for a living - have "preferred status" with all the majors for rentals.  In DEN, the most economical way to get the 4WD/AWD in the Winter is to just use Priceline - sure the rental wont count toward your award points (usually end up at Hertz anyway), but you will get your price.  Alamo/National are good bets as well.  Always have seen good prices from FOX, but after a really bad experience w/ Advantage (1 hour wait at counter and just left)- never going "down tier" again.  Also, as mentioned above, wait a bit closer to the actual arrival - supply/demand, but that might be tough given you are right in with Spring Break. 

post #20 of 29

Priceline can have the same problem I had with Hotwire.   I would make multiple reservations with different agencies and I would also look at mini vans.  You don't really need 4wd to Copper IMHO.

 

Advantage is Hertz's lower end outlet.

post #21 of 29

Thanks to all who replied to my SUV/4wd rental question.  Sounds like the best way to try to ensure you get a 4wd when you really need a 4wd is to make a reservation (the type with no penalty for cancelation) through multiple companies and hope that one has a 4wd when you show up at the counter.

Also, now that I know how cheap and easy it is to get chains on a rental vehicle in Tahoe area it reduces my angst over this question.  The difference between a midsize car and 4wd/SUV can be as much as $750 a week.  That pays for 10 sets of chains and crews to install them for you.

 

For Rickg in case you change your mind about shuttle: besides trying various travel websites (expedia, kayak, rentalcars, etc.), also try getting a promo number from a site like rentalcarmomma and plug it in websites for discount.  And I agree with Shred, you don't need 4wd to travel I70 unless you get real lucky.rolleyes.gif

Expedia yielded $351 for fullsize car, Mar 4-9, thru Payless.  Oops, nevermind on last, just realized Rick needs to transport six, not likely with gear in a fullsize.

post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

Priceline can have the same problem I had with Hotwire.   I would make multiple reservations with different agencies and I would also look at mini vans.  You don't really need 4wd to Copper IMHO.

 

Advantage is Hertz's lower end outlet.

Did not know that about Avantage - but dont use Hertz much anymore so not on top of their model.and certainly didnt have the Hertz Gold line at least that day.  that said, never had an issue with Priceline - but I use the prepay option and only select major rental car vendors,downside is there is no point generation or ability to add your number for status.  I might do something different if I was arriving late in the day on say a Friday - sometimes cars get gone.

post #23 of 29

Just booked an intermediate SUV through carrentals.com for 3/2/13 - 3/9/13 for $208.00. It's with Enterprise and the last time with Enterprise I did get a 4wd Ford Escape.

post #24 of 29


Try http://www.car-rental-denver.org  They are locally owned and carry AWD / 4x4 SUV's with ski racks.  Great rates.

post #25 of 29

Try Mile High SUV Rental www.car-rental-denver.org.  I have used them.

post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorenz View Post
 

Try Mile High SUV Rental www.car-rental-denver.org.  I have used them.


Welcome to EpicSki!  When was the last time you used Mile High?

post #27 of 29

Thanks! I used them last spring.

post #28 of 29

Out of Denver, I think the new champion is Turo.com  I used that site twice last season with no issues.  Basically a for-rent-by-owner operation with Turo, like VRBO was meant to be, acting as the transparent middleman.

post #29 of 29

Do not rent cars at airport. The price is like half or one third if you rent somewhere else.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Automotive/Car Talk
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Automotive/Car Talk › Full size SUV Rental in Denver