EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Guided tour at Powder Mountain
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Guided tour at Powder Mountain

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

I and 5 friends did a guided tour at Powder Mountain today. They reported 9 inches, but seemed like much more. At least where we skied. Cost was $195 split among the 6 of us. With the tour you get a ride on the Cat up to Lightening Ridge. Unreal deal. The place is so big, we pretty much had untracked powder runs all day. Highly recommended.  

post #2 of 17

Haven't done anything guided there, but I can attest to the possibility or even likelihood of untracked to near untracked all day.  Sounds like a grand bargain you hadicon14.gif

post #3 of 17

According to Powderchasers, you're about to get some more snow at Powder Mountain!

Go get it!!

post #4 of 17

I'll be there mid february. Looking forward to hiking the ridge. 

post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 

What was good was being led to stuff that would have been very difficult or impossible to find on your own.Powder Mountain is huge if you include Cobabe Canyon, Powder Country and Lightening Ridge. The guide was key. 

post #6 of 17
Good investment. Good day for it. Going to be a great week!
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Steve View Post

What was good was being led to stuff that would have been very difficult or impossible to find on your own.Powder Mountain is huge if you include Cobabe Canyon, Powder Country and Lightening Ridge. The guide was key. 

 

thanks! I will take this up with the group. I would be up for it for sure.

post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

 

thanks! I will take this up with the group. I would be up for it for sure.


 With a group it's a no brainer.  6 cat rides @ $18 each=$108.  So it's $87 to have a guide that knows the terrain and we did the cat a second time gratis.

post #9 of 17

Heading out to Ogden for 4 or 5 days skiing Feb 6.  Can't wait!  I skied Powder Mtn. once about 10 years ago and we were skiing untracked powder all day.  They ran us up Lightning ridge by towing us behind a sled.

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post


 With a group it's a no brainer.  6 cat rides @ $18 each=$108.  So it's $87 to have a guide that knows the terrain and we did the cat a second time gratis.

 E-mails sent to the group. Its the same guys I ski with in BC and Chile so I know they will be up for it. 

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

 E-mails sent to the group. Its the same guys I ski with in BC and Chile so I know they will be up for it. 

Does mid-February mean Feb 19 (or 20)?

 

I think I'm going to ski at Powder Mountain on the 19th.

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 

We did the math too. Great deal. Our guide was Chuck. He is 73 years old. At some point, one my friends said "he's a cyborg". He kicked our asses and there was absolutely no delays. Chuck never stopped moving. Very impressive. He has been at Powder Mountain for many years and obviously knew every nook and cranny and really thought about where it would be best for our group.  

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post


 With a group it's a no brainer.  6 cat rides @ $18 each=$108.  So it's $87 to have a guide that knows the terrain and we did the cat a second time gratis.

 

Agreed. Did this 2 seasons ago and the guides really showed us the goods. Powder Mtn is as big as Vail with only 7 lifts (about 30 less than Vail). Without the local knowledge I know a day would've been wasted wandering around the mountain looking where to go & find all the freshies. Even though it didn't snow everyday, we had fresh tracks each day since that mountain holds its powder stashes as good as anywhere in the country.

 

After the day with the guides, you should be good to go on your own for the rest of your trip.

post #14 of 17
Get any pics of the trip (or were you having too much fun skiing)?
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Steve View Post

We did the math too. Great deal. Our guide was Chuck. He is 73 years old. At some point, one my friends said "he's a cyborg". He kicked our asses and there was absolutely no delays. Chuck never stopped moving. Very impressive. He has been at Powder Mountain for many years and obviously knew every nook and cranny and really thought about where it would be best for our group.  

Just ran into Chuck at the gas station, he is still going strong!

 

JF

post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 

No photos. Chuck didn't give us time to take photos. Cyborgs aren't interested in photos. Everything they see goes into their hard drive. 

post #17 of 17

The first time I skied Pow Mow I was left feeling like I missed something.  It turned out I missed a whole lot.  The next year when I visited I went out with one of the guides and had an absolute blast.  Even being solo I thought was well worth the money.  If could get the right group together I would like to do one of the guide backcountry DMI tours next time I get back there.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Guided tour at Powder Mountain