I am a new member to the forum, I hope I could get some advice on a couple of questions.
I am 6"1 and weigh 200 lbs (185 cm 90 kg). I have only one pair of skis, 2011 Head i.Titan in 177 cm, these skis have been on the snow for about 80 days. I am an okay skier.
I have recently tested two pairs of Blizzard Magnum skis (8.0 in 172 cm and 8.5 in 181 cm), and the experience was so different that it triggered a few questions.
1. Both Magnum skis have incredible edge grip. I always ski on the same mountain, and I know these several places with icy hardpack where my Titan would have no grip at all. Nada. Both Magnums had no problem with grip there whatsoever, also when I put considerable pressure on them. I thought maybe something was wrong with my Titan's tuning, maybe they got dull and I just don't have the right expectation any longer, so I brought my Titans to the shop the same night and asked to tune them.
Next day on Titans - again, they just don't hold the edge on hardpack at all. As if I have rollers instead of edges. Nothing changed after tune.
This raised several questions:
1. Is it possible that these Blizzards are just supposed to hold edge much, much better than Titans?
2. Or maybe there's some problem with my particular pair of Titans, like I don't know, the fatigue, or just 80 days is too much for them, or some factory defect, that doesn't let them hold edge even immediately after the edges were sharpened?
3. Or maybe the Titans in 177 cm are not designed for my parameters? Maybe I'm the wrong weight for them?
The difference was really like night and day, I could not imagine that different skis could ski so differently...
2. Talking about these two pairs of Magnums:
- With the 8.0 in 172 cm, I felt very confident and playful but at the same time I felt that I could rather easily overpower them. I felt very powerful response and great maneuvrability, but I felt I was stronger than the ski. Maybe they were a little softer that I need given my weight.
With the 8.5 in 181 cm, I felt that's a different ski. Of course I exercised some caution, but I could not overpower them at all. I felt great response, and as much as I was putting in, the ski was giving me back. I also felt that I must not be lazy with these skis, and I need to load them properly to get what I want (while with the 8.0, even with lazy effort I was able to load them up).
[Just for comparison, with my Titans I don't feel any response at all. I mean yes I can load them up but I hardly feel any rebound or the spring compared to both these Blizzards... Seems like the Titans are just "dead" or lost their energy, if this can happen to the ski at all of course... I also remember that when Titans were new, I had to "press" with at least some force when I step into the binding to make them flat on the snow. Now I just touch them, maybe 50g effort with the toe of my boot, and they're flat already...]
At the same time, I'm a bit concerned about the length of 181 cm as 60% of my skiing is bumps, and there's also some trees and limited-space areas in the remaining 40%.
I felt that I had to work harder with 8.5 in 181 cm than with 8.0 in 172 cm, and sometimes I was slower in turning that I would want. I think this is rather a limitation of my ability than of the ski maneuvrability, but still I felt that maybe that ski is at this point just a bit too long for me.
So I want to explore two more options "in between", 8.0 in 179 cm and 8.5 in 174 cm.
My question is, which of these two would be closer to the "middle" between 8.0/172 and 8.5/181?
If I thought of "ideal" scenario based on the two skis I demoed, I think I would choose something like "8.2 and 176 cm" in ideal world :-)
Edited by skii - 1/27/13 at 2:24pm