EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Snowboarders and edge of the run rules
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Snowboarders and edge of the run rules - Page 6

post #151 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohaed View Post

     Snow boarders should be banned from resorts. Period!

Says the guy that hasn't skied in 7 years and can't spell "snowboarders." We'll give that opinion as much deference as it deserves.

post #152 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlmar View Post

We were at a local ski place yesterday for a quick half day of skiing.  I wanted to play golf later in the afternoon.  We headed to the backside where the "black" runs were located, as we figured few people would be over there in the morning.  The slopes are shaded in the morning, and generally icy.  The day was low light and flat lighting conditions.  We skied over to that area, and took the lift up to the top of the "expert" black diamond run.  As we rose, we saw a college age kid coming down at a high rate of speed.  He drifted over to the edge below the lift line.

 

Folks - what do you see below lift lines in many resorts?  MOGULS.

 

So, the kid launched off the mogul area.  Fortunately it was the end of the moguls.  He flew about 25 or more feet in the air.  Hard to know, because of the pitch for the black slope.  Of course, he lost control.  He fell backward and slammed his head against the icy snowpack, and bounced a few times.  He was limp immediately.  

 

We knew he wasn't immediately paralyzed - that's because his arms and legs flapped loosely as he slid face down, and unconscious below us.  He slid for a few hundred feet, and we turned to watch.  When a person is paralyzed, they go stiff.  

 

A guy stopped to grab the skis AND poles above the injured college student.  As he did this, ANOTHER college kid flew in the air, and hit, sliding past the man.  He slid into a small island of trees a couple hundred yards below.  

 

ANOTHER college student then flew by and landed on his back.  He slid down head first, LAUGHING as he slid.  He was stoned out of his mind.  

 

Three other college kids quickly wrecked and slid down the slopes.  Two were laughing and the third was hurt.

 

We decided to ski the catwalk back and go home...  As it turned out the Colorado School of Mines had a "ski deal" and brought three bus loads of STONED college kids to the resort that day.  The word quickly got out among locals and parents, and it was quickly passed on to parents and responsible skiers.

 

Flat light, icy conditions and stoned college kids.  Head home.

 

The "legalization" of marijuana in Colorado will be an EPIC disaster for ski resorts.  I'm not sure how many paralyzed college stoners it will take to make changes, but one thing's for sure - you WILL know who is skiing stoned, and you will be very lucky if you avoid them.  The resorts are running on fumes with labor because of the lack of snow and skier visits.  They DO NOT take away passes, and you will find very few ski patrol folks monitoring the slopes right now.  

 

Good luck and God Bless.

 

Sorry to highjack--but people with broken backs and necks and spinal cord injuries DO NOT go stiff.  The person you saw might very well have had a spinal injury. An unconscious person with or without flailing arms or legs should not be moved except by someone who knows what they're doing--ie a patroller. I realize you didn't move him, but I didn't want someone to pick up your misinformation and do the wrong thing. 

post #153 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

Sorry to highjack--but people with broken backs and necks and spinal cord injuries DO NOT go stiff.  The person you saw might very well have had a spinal injury. An unconscious person with or without flailing arms or legs should not be moved except by someone who knows what they're doing--ie a patroller. I realize you didn't move him, but I didn't want someone to pick up your misinformation and do the wrong thing. 

THanks for pointing this out. Not sure how to counter all the other misinformation in that post ... must be a record.

post #154 of 164

That's good weed!

 

White folks should stay off the black runs unless they can shuck the jive!

post #155 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlmar View Post

....  When a person is paralyzed, they go stiff.  ...

Sorry to highjack--but people with broken backs and necks and spinal cord injuries DO NOT go stiff.  The person you saw might very well have had a spinal injury. An unconscious person with or without flailing arms or legs should not be moved except by someone who knows what they're doing--ie a patroller. I realize you didn't move him, but I didn't want someone to pick up your misinformation and do the wrong thing. 

 

Right you are, doc.  And some sort of recognition is in order for you for reading that entire screed.  I stopped much earlier.  

post #156 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlmar View Post

We were at a local ski place yesterday for a quick half day of skiing.  I wanted to play golf later in the afternoon.  We headed to the backside where the "black" runs were located, as we figured few people would be over there in the morning.  The slopes are shaded in the morning, and generally icy.  The day was low light and flat lighting conditions.  We skied over to that area, and took the lift up to the top of the "expert" black diamond run.  As we rose, we saw a college age kid coming down at a high rate of speed.  He drifted over to the edge below the lift line.

 

Folks - what do you see below lift lines in many resorts?  MOGULS.

 

So, the kid launched off the mogul area.  Fortunately it was the end of the moguls.  He flew about 25 or more feet in the air.  Hard to know, because of the pitch for the black slope.  Of course, he lost control.  He fell backward and slammed his head against the icy snowpack, and bounced a few times.  He was limp immediately.  

 

We knew he wasn't immediately paralyzed - that's because his arms and legs flapped loosely as he slid face down, and unconscious below us.  He slid for a few hundred feet, and we turned to watch.  When a person is paralyzed, they go stiff.  

 

A guy stopped to grab the skis AND poles above the injured college student.  As he did this, ANOTHER college kid flew in the air, and hit, sliding past the man.  He slid into a small island of trees a couple hundred yards below.  

 

ANOTHER college student then flew by and landed on his back.  He slid down head first, LAUGHING as he slid.  He was stoned out of his mind.  

 

Three other college kids quickly wrecked and slid down the slopes.  Two were laughing and the third was hurt.

 

We decided to ski the catwalk back and go home...  As it turned out the Colorado School of Mines had a "ski deal" and brought three bus loads of STONED college kids to the resort that day.  The word quickly got out among locals and parents, and it was quickly passed on to parents and responsible skiers.

 

Flat light, icy conditions and stoned college kids.  Head home.

 

The "legalization" of marijuana in Colorado will be an EPIC disaster for ski resorts.  I'm not sure how many paralyzed college stoners it will take to make changes, but one thing's for sure - you WILL know who is skiing stoned, and you will be very lucky if you avoid them.  The resorts are running on fumes with labor because of the lack of snow and skier visits.  They DO NOT take away passes, and you will find very few ski patrol folks monitoring the slopes right now.  

 

Good luck and God Bless.

Um, you ski around stoned people every single time you step foot on the slopes. They're everywhere. Ever hear of a 'safety meeting' in the woods? How about the "ganj-ola"? 

 

Please keep your political opinions about drug use to yourself. 

post #157 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlmar View Post

We were at a local ski place yesterday for a quick half day of skiing.  I wanted to play golf later in the afternoon.  We headed to the backside where the "black" runs were located, as we figured few people would be over there in the morning.  The slopes are shaded in the morning, and generally icy.  The day was low light and flat lighting conditions.  We skied over to that area, and took the lift up to the top of the "expert" black diamond run.  As we rose, we saw a college age kid coming down at a high rate of speed.  He drifted over to the edge below the lift line.

 

Folks - what do you see below lift lines in many resorts?  MOGULS.

 

So, the kid launched off the mogul area.  Fortunately it was the end of the moguls.  He flew about 25 or more feet in the air.  Hard to know, because of the pitch for the black slope.  Of course, he lost control.  He fell backward and slammed his head against the icy snowpack, and bounced a few times.  He was limp immediately.  

 

We knew he wasn't immediately paralyzed - that's because his arms and legs flapped loosely as he slid face down, and unconscious below us.  He slid for a few hundred feet, and we turned to watch.  When a person is paralyzed, they go stiff.  

 

A guy stopped to grab the skis AND poles above the injured college student.  As he did this, ANOTHER college kid flew in the air, and hit, sliding past the man.  He slid into a small island of trees a couple hundred yards below.  

 

ANOTHER college student then flew by and landed on his back.  He slid down head first, LAUGHING as he slid.  He was stoned out of his mind.  

 

Three other college kids quickly wrecked and slid down the slopes.  Two were laughing and the third was hurt.

 

We decided to ski the catwalk back and go home...  As it turned out the Colorado School of Mines had a "ski deal" and brought three bus loads of STONED college kids to the resort that day.  The word quickly got out among locals and parents, and it was quickly passed on to parents and responsible skiers.

 

Flat light, icy conditions and stoned college kids.  Head home.

 

The "legalization" of marijuana in Colorado will be an EPIC disaster for ski resorts.  I'm not sure how many paralyzed college stoners it will take to make changes, but one thing's for sure - you WILL know who is skiing stoned, and you will be very lucky if you avoid them.  The resorts are running on fumes with labor because of the lack of snow and skier visits.  They DO NOT take away passes, and you will find very few ski patrol folks monitoring the slopes right now.  

 

Good luck and God Bless.


Yeah, ummm, wow....not really sure which way to address your level of fail...People go stiff with a spinal injury?? I work as an aircraft mechanic but I am also a qualified search and rescue spotter...I will assure you that there is absolutely no possible way to determine the presence of a spinal injury on sight with a victim who has gone night night.

 

As for the pot....When I was younger, I smoked and snowboarded all the time...I didn't need pot to do something stupid, I was quite capable of that on my own.

post #158 of 164

To completely hijack this thread and to clarify--an unconscious person--unconscious due to a head injury or any unconscious person you encounter should be assumed to have a spinal injury until proven otherwise.  The only time you would move them without immobilization would be to do CPR if they aren't breathing or heart beating, and then you would do your best to keep their neck in line and steady as you turned them. And pray.

post #159 of 164

Dunno if this thread is worth resurrecting, I just wanted this to go on record:

 

http://www.nsaa.org/media/68045/NSAA-Facts-About-Skiing-Snowboarding-Safety-10-1-12.pdf

 

"According to Dr. Jasper Shealy, professor emeritus at the Rochester Institute of 

Technology in Rochester, N.Y., who has studied ski related injuries for more than 30 years, the 
number of collisions accidents with other skiers or snowboarders accounts for only 6.4 percent 
of reported accidents.  Dr. Shealy’s research also confirmed that alpine skiers are three times 
more likely to be involved in a collision with other people than snowboarders"
 
IMO, If you do keep getting nailed by snowboards (and you aren't on a green trail), then the problem is more likely to be something that you're doing.
post #160 of 164

I snowboard now, but learned to ski in the 70's. In general, there is a lack of mountain awareness and safety considerations taught these days.  We live in a self centered world.  The OP was almost hit by Boarders, I wonder if they had music on?  I see all manner of skiers and Boarders on the mountain with music in their  headphones and that is incredibly dangerous and self centered.  I always listen for the sounds of skiers or boarders approaching from the rear and especially from my blind side. 

If I see younger people stopped on the mountain in a bad spot, I will always suggest they move to a safer place.  If they aren't taught, how will they learn?

post #161 of 164

 Id rather ski with a bunch of 18 yr old stoners than alot of the adults who decide to go have 3 or 4 beers for lunchtime and come back out and ski the afternoon half in the bag.
 

post #162 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post

Dunno if this thread is worth resurrecting, I just wanted this to go on record:

 

http://www.nsaa.org/media/68045/NSAA-Facts-About-Skiing-Snowboarding-Safety-10-1-12.pdf

 

"According to Dr. Jasper Shealy, professor emeritus at the Rochester Institute of 

Technology in Rochester, N.Y., who has studied ski related injuries for more than 30 years, the 
number of collisions accidents with other skiers or snowboarders accounts for only 6.4 percent 
of reported accidents.  Dr. Shealy’s research also confirmed that alpine skiers are three times 
more likely to be involved in a collision with other people than snowboarders"
 
IMO, If you do keep getting nailed by snowboards (and you aren't on a green trail), then the problem is more likely to be something that you're doing.

Hahahah I'm pretty sure it's unintentional but that last part of the sentence makes it sound like Dr. Shealy doesn't think snowboarders are people. 

post #163 of 164

Last weekend I smelled booze several times on the slopes.  The legalization of booze has been an EPIC disaster!

post #164 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post

Dunno if this thread is worth resurrecting . . .

If you had to ask . . .

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Snowboarders and edge of the run rules