EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Whistler Blackcomb Jan20-21
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whistler Blackcomb Jan20-21

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Of all the times I've been to WB, by far the vast majority have had lousy weather. Well, not this time!

 

Leaving the hotel in Van, was the first sign things might be OK -

 

 

And the weather at WB was glorious. Temps around (and a little above) freezing, with great visibility. Conditions on Saturday were a bit least coast like, with dust on crust (aka packed powder), but as the sun hit it a bit it became excellent.

 

Whistler shot from Blackcomb:

 

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

 

Black Tusk shot from Whistler Peak:

 

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

post #2 of 25

Glad to hear conditions are lookig good.  I am there in 2 weeks!  Can't wait.

 

Rick G

post #3 of 25

We'll be there on 23 Feb.  Staying for a fortnight and hoping for both snow and nice weather in there somewhere.  Prepped two pair of skis on the weekend.  Leaving it to the last weather forecast to make a call.  Giddyup!

post #4 of 25

Heading to Whistler next week.  I;ve been there twice before and of course the fickle weather has always been an issue.

 

So conditions wise which skis do you think I should pack based on the conditions you have seen recently?  All Mountain or Powder Skis?

 

thanks in advance
 

post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekweezle View Post

Heading to Whistler next week.  I;ve been there twice before and of course the fickle weather has always been an issue.

So conditions wise which skis do you think I should pack based on the conditions you have seen recently?  All Mountain or Powder Skis?

thanks in advance

 
[/quote


I have MX88, LX92 and MX108 there. By far the MX108's have the fewest days on them. If I could only have one set of skis it would be the LX92's.

Watch the conditions page one the WB we page for pretty good date.
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekweezle View Post
.

So conditions wise which skis do you think I should pack ?

 

 

I'm sitting on Head Monster 78s and Head Mojo 94s.  If there's decent snow in the forecast I'll pack the 94s, if the forecast shows only a few centimetres here and there (or nothing eek.gif ) I'll pack the 78s.  Either way I'll be demoing some skis from the Yurt on each hill while I'm there. 

post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 

If you're saying your 78's are your "all-mountain", and 94 is your "powder" ski, then take your powder skis. 

 

I think it's illegal to have anything less than 85 on the hill, and that's when it's crappy.

post #8 of 25

Hey Snowfun,

 

Do you think my AC30's will  be good for the week I am there?  biggrin.gif

 

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I am bringing my E98''s and renting some big powder boards for my day of Heli.

 

Rick G

post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 
Well,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickg View Post

Hey Snowfun,

Do you think my AC30's will  be good for the week I am there?  biggrin.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I am bringing my E98''s and renting some big powder boards for my day of Heli.

Rick G

Well, thankfully your infatuation with the AC 30 appears over with, and the 98's should be a good all-around ski for WB.

Least coast style ice is a rarity, but sometimes it gets a bit hard, but that's more early season.

Aren't bigger boards included in your heli package?
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

If you're saying your 78's are your "all-mountain", and 94 is your "powder" ski, then take your powder skis. 

 

I think it's illegal to have anything less than 85 on the hill, and that's when it's crappy.

 

Well, I did discard any thought of my 66 waisted Supershapes  redface.gif

 

Not really powder skis, more hard snow v's soft snow biased all mountain skis.  

 

Took the 94s to North Lake Tahoe (Squaw / Alpine / Homewood) last year.  Should have taken the 78s ... or even the 66s (my snow mojo is crap!).

 

Still, it will have to be a truly disappointing forecast to go with anything other than the 94s.


Edited by sinbad7 - 1/24/13 at 7:15pm
post #11 of 25

i'm off to whistler in one week for the first time... (taking my 6th sense slicers) i hope for decent snow...

 

according to long term forecasts there should be snow (and rain at the bottom) the second half of our  trip... i know how unreliable a 2 week forecast is but at least i have hope!

post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post

 

Well, I did discard any thought of my 66 waisted Supershapes  redface.gif

 

Not really powder skis, more hard snow v's soft snow biased all mountain skis.  

 

Took the 94s to North Lake Tahoe (Squaw / Alpine / Homewood) last year.  Should have taken the 78s ... or even the 66s (my snow mojo is crap!).

 

Still, it will have to be a truly disappointing forecast to go with anything other than the 94s.

 

I was in Tahoe in January last year and it was truly horrible with a solid inch of crust on it, but that's not exactly typical. I've never had a situation at Whistler in 15 years and 300+ days where it's been worthy of narrow skis.

post #13 of 25

Sorry to dissapoint you, but I still love those AC30's  They really do rock here in the East.  But, I did find their achiles heal when I took them to Vail / BC 2 seasons ago.  They are sinkers, not floaters, hence my purchase of the E98's for my western trips.

 

Coast Range does not include powder boards in their 1 day packages and I don't believe the other heli outfits do either.  Coast Range suggest a pair of their Foon skis for $35 for the day.  Never heard of this indie maker, but they tell me all of their guides swear by them, of course they probably get them for free just to say stuff like that. 

 

I know you spend some time at Whistler, have you any input on these skis, which I am told are made nearby?

 

Rick G

post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickg View Post

Sorry to dissapoint you, but I still love those AC30's  They really do rock here in the East.  But, I did find their achiles heal when I took them to Vail / BC 2 seasons ago.  They are sinkers, not floaters, hence my purchase of the E98's for my western trips.

 

Coast Range does not include powder boards in their 1 day packages and I don't believe the other heli outfits do either.  Coast Range suggest a pair of their Foon skis for $35 for the day.  Never heard of this indie maker, but they tell me all of their guides swear by them, of course they probably get them for free just to say stuff like that. 

 

I know you spend some time at Whistler, have you any input on these skis, which I am told are made nearby?

 

Rick G

 

No disapointment for me - just glad the AC30 still isn't the answer for every question asked anymore.

 

Have not heard of "Foon". Tried some other local skis last year from Prior, and I wish I could remember the model as they were absolutely superb. Very wide (115?), with lots of tip and tail rocker,  and were fantastic in pow, but could also rail the groomers as required.

 

I think Fanatyko charges $40 / days, and they have everything you'd want in big skis.

post #15 of 25

Foon is a local indie from Pemberton made by Johnny Foon who is a famous skier in the area. Haven't been on them personally but have heard good things. Same with Prior.

 

Finally some soft snow in the past 2 days (this is only the 3rd time it's snowed since December 20/21, unusual for this time of year). Slackcountry will be fun this weekend.

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekweezle View Post

Heading to Whistler next week.  I;ve been there twice before and of course the fickle weather has always been an issue.

 

So conditions wise which skis do you think I should pack based on the conditions you have seen recently?  All Mountain or Powder Skis?

 

thanks in advance
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post

 

I'm sitting on Head Monster 78s and Head Mojo 94s.  If there's decent snow in the forecast I'll pack the 94s, if the forecast shows only a few centimetres here and there (or nothing eek.gif ) I'll pack the 78s.  Either way I'll be demoing some skis from the Yurt on each hill while I'm there. 

 

You guys need to follow the weather report.  While 94 is a reasonable suggestion normally, we havent had much snow in a long time.  Basically sun, sun and more sun.  We are getting some now...but if it goes back to sun sun and sun between now and your trip...pack the narrower skis.  Lots of "old" 70 somthing skis being brought out of the ski shed at the moment.

 

Skiing is still good, but its groomers and bumps, even the glacier, ladders, and trees are firm....not "hard" but you certainly dont need "float"!!!

post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude72 View Post

 

You guys need to follow the weather report ... if it goes back to sun sun and sun between now and your trip...pack the narrower skis. 

 

^^^^ This is Plan A.  Unfortunately the guy who usually blogs about Whistler's weather day-to-day has a broken toe and isn't putting up reports.  Anywhere else I should be looking to get some local intel on conditions?

 

Thanks for the update.

post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post

 

  Anywhere else I should be looking to get some local intel on conditions?

 

Thanks for the update.

 

WhistlerBlackcomb.com, Alpine Forecast

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

I think it's illegal to have anything less than 85 on the hill, and that's when it's crappy.

 

My 75mm Head Integrale 009s rock on WB. Lots of other instructors ride the head magnum at ~70 and the head titan at ~78 waist. Spanky's and couloir extreme were both "unsoft" (I wouldn't call it firm) on Saturday, and those are some of the less skied parts of the mountain. And let's face it - no matter where you ski on WB, you're eventually going to end up on a groomer--so one may as well pack a ski that handles everything well. 

post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphor_ View Post

 

My 75mm Head Integrale 009s rock on WB. Lots of other instructors ride the head magnum at ~70 and the head titan at ~78 waist. Spanky's and couloir extreme were both "unsoft" (I wouldn't call it firm) on Saturday, and those are some of the less skied parts of the mountain. And let's face it - no matter where you ski on WB, you're eventually going to end up on a groomer--so one may as well pack a ski that handles everything well. 

 

Last weekend (20-21) I was either on MX88 or LX92's and did a couple of laps of Spanky's that Saturday and wouldn't have wanted anything narrower. Saying an MX88 (or Blizzard or whatnot) can't handle everything well I guess means you haven't tried them. Different strokes......

post #21 of 25

WB is the sort of place where you'll find a bit of everything.  No doubt about it.

 

If it's looking light-on for snow the narrower skis will be more fun on the groomers and will be ok in the softer stuff.  If it's going to snow the wider skis will be more fun in the softer stuff and will be ok on the groomers.  I'm not wringing my hands trying to decide or anything - it'll come down to the snow forecast on the day I pack. 

 

Just found out a friend of mine will be there for the back half of our trip.  He's staying at the Westin (which rhymes with "hot tub"  biggrin.gif).

 

Really looking forward to it.

post #22 of 25
I am am in Whistler this week. Weather wise, we've gotten snow this week so fatter skis have been working well in the bowls and trees for me. So if you are planning to come up here this week, can't go wrong with faster than usual skis.



Sent from a HTC Droid Incredible running CM 10.1
post #23 of 25
After spending several days at Whistler Blackcomb and seeing the full spectrum of conditions, i will have to revise my original recommendation and advise you to bring whatever you consider to be your all mountain skis for what you will be skiing 90% of the time .

I saw some snow in the bowls, white out conditions, poor visability and followed by spring conditions depending on what elevation and part of the Mountain I was in. However, due to my timing, I saw mostly hard pack and crud due to lack of snow. Even in the bowls, some exposed rocks and skied off packed powder. Coverage a little thin. Our problem was that we did not get much new snow.
I brought my fattest ski-90 mm waist icelantic pilgrims and while they did well in the trees and bowls, a little too soft for the hard pack.

Incidentally, if you want to demo fat skis for free for 2 hours, you can do it at the Burton demo tent at the roundhouse lodge. 20$ per hour after that. They make it really easy.

Another tip if you want to stay with the powder if there is any is to stay upper upper mountain where the bowls and Glacier are exclusively and download at the end of the day to avoid the spring conditions below. Every time I went to the very bottom, it sucked.

If anyone is going out there in the next few days, hope you get more snow than we got.

Sent from a HTC Droid Incredible running CM 10.1
post #24 of 25

agree skidude72... if going for an extended period then i say bring 2 sets to play it safe for varied conditions and those dry periods with little or no snow

 

WB isn't having a big dump in their forecast .. sure some new snow the next few days but no big dumps

 

...inversion continues today with temp going up go +5C..

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/the-mountain/snow-and-weather/index.aspx?t=alpine-forecast1#tabsa

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude72 View Post

 

 

You guys need to follow the weather report.  While 94 is a reasonable suggestion normally, we havent had much snow in a long time.  Basically sun, sun and more sun.  We are getting some now...but if it goes back to sun sun and sun between now and your trip...pack the narrower skis.  Lots of "old" 70 somthing skis being brought out of the ski shed at the moment.

 

Skiing is still good, but its groomers and bumps, even the glacier, ladders, and trees are firm....not "hard" but you certainly dont need "float"!!!


Edited by canali - 2/2/13 at 7:46am
post #25 of 25

Foon skis are excellent - made a by a big mountain guide and local legend. Be more specific with your dates in the post would be helpful (I cannot really work of this week or next week as I dont log in every day).

 

Currently spending most days on my Blizzard 8.0 Ti (80mm @172cm). This week 05 Feb should move n=me back to my Blizzard Bonafide (98mm @ 187 cm). No real need for the big boys so far this season (Cochise 108mm @ 193 cm) unfortunately but there is always March.

 

Have fun hope that update helps.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Whistler Blackcomb Jan20-21