I'm trying to pick a resort/area for the front half of an 8 day ski trip into Denver, with the latter half already fixed at Breckenridge.
It will the first time for me skiing in Colorado, (husband has been to Aspen), and I've read a few threads that have suggested Araphoe Basin, Copper Mt and Vail as good options, such as this one: http://www.epicski.com/t/117008/denver-jan-25-27-2013-where-to-ski
- We will not have our own car - ideally we'd take a shuttle from DEN to TBD, not need a car the entire time at TBD, then another shuttle from TBD to Breckenridge. (We don't want to separately rent a car, as a 4WD car is exorbitant and we will be meeting up with friends arriving later into Breckenridge who will rent a car).
- We won't get bored in the 4 days we will be there (I'm intermediate-advanced, my husband is advanced. Our favorite ski experiences have probably been Big Sky & Whistler/Blackcomb).
- This is a bit of a vague ask, but we only get to ski 2x per season and I'd really like to use this time to try to get to the next level - so perhaps a place where the adult ski school is good? I've taken a number of group/private lessons that were pretty underwhelming
- Would be nice to have an XC area nearby (thinking this could be a good option in case we are too tired to downhill everyday)
- Nightlife not super important as it will just be the two of us and thinking we can get our fill later on in Breck
- Not sure when we will be out to Colorado next, so there is also the tourist element (eg, is there somewhere we just *have* to try)?
- No idea about the snow variability/reliability for different mountains for early March, but just throwing it out there if it is a factor
Thanks in advance!