or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Camera: good idea or dorky?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Camera: good idea or dorky? - Page 2

post #31 of 86
Thread Starter 

I had not heard of the Contour. I like the form factor much better than the GoPro.

 

However, many of the reviews of the software that comes with the Contour are very negative. Can you use other software? Will it understand the GPS logging info?

post #32 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2010 View Post

I had not heard of the Contour. I like the form factor much better than the GoPro.

 

However, many of the reviews of the software that comes with the Contour are very negative. Can you use other software? Will it understand the GPS logging info?

I have a Contour, and I use separate video editing software. Although mine is a little older model, and doesn't have the GPS tracking element. I believe the GPS tracks are saved as a separate file, which the Storyteller software can meld together. But other than that, I think the Contours are by far the better product. It doesn't stick a half foot off the top of your head, it has a big slider to start and stop recording, so you always know when its on and when its not. it also has lasers that help you aim it and level it, so you never have to worry about shooting sky or skis. Get a Contour. Totally better.

post #33 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Bims View Post

I haven't skied in warm conditions in ages so I'm not concerned about melting snow. I'll make sure it's dusted off before going inside but as far as the cost, I already have an iphone and because it's a 4, it isn't worth half of what a GoPro would cost so money saved.

 

Its not just surface moisture you have to worry about. The rapid change in temperature from going from outside to inside WILL cause condensation on the inside of the phone, it CAN cause it to short out, and it is NOT covered under warranty because the moisture will activate the water detecting strips.

 

You can pick up a contour ROAM for $100 on ebay...well worth the money if you plan on doing any filming.

post #34 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarley84 View Post

 

Its not just surface moisture you have to worry about. The rapid change in temperature from going from outside to inside WILL cause condensation on the inside of the phone, it CAN cause it to short out, and it is NOT covered under warranty because the moisture will activate the water detecting strips.

 

You can pick up a contour ROAM for $100 on ebay...well worth the money if you plan on doing any filming.

 

+1

 

I saw a thread yesterday saying that Target.com currently has the original Contour ROAM on clearance for $100 + free shipping. I think it's a fairly easy choice given that that the Miveu harness is $80 and that a used iPhone 4 is going for over $200 on ebay.

post #35 of 86
I think by far the best thing about the contour is the fact that I beeps when you turn it on/off, on the whole I find them a lot easier to use than a gopro (which was only for an afrernoon).



Lukas
post #36 of 86

I'm going to get a POV cam, probably Contour....I don't really care what other people think, even if I do ski like shiit.  It'll be a fun way to record and go back to those great vacation places when you feel the need to.  I'm sure you can use in other fun ways as well. 

 

Don't let what other people think hold you back.

 

Kevin

post #37 of 86

I agree with the many, many others saying you should do it :) I never go on the slopes without my camera (not a gopro, but a waterproof point-and-shoot), and I'm not in Chamonix! It would be a shame to pass on the opportunity to document your trip there, it will be gorgeous and you will cherish those images forever. 

post #38 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by burknutz11 View Post

I saw a thread yesterday saying that Target.com currently has the original Contour ROAM on clearance for $100 + free shipping.

Thank you for that information!! I just ordered one. I had been investigating the Countour+2, but it's $400 --  a healthy fraction of a pair of new skis, which I want more than a camera.

post #39 of 86
Thread Starter 

Is the Profile Mount that comes with the Roam adequate? It looks like it just sticks to the helmet--seems a bit insecure. Goggle Mount might be a better choice but it's hard to judge online.

post #40 of 86

I have the regular Contour ROAM from before the newer one came out.  If you can find one for $100 then pull the trigger on it - you won't be disappointed.

 

As for editing software, no one (or most people anyway) uses software made by the camera companies.  If you have a mac the latest versions of iMovie are actually pretty good for editing.

post #41 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2010 View Post

Is the Profile Mount that comes with the Roam adequate? It looks like it just sticks to the helmet--seems a bit insecure. Goggle Mount might be a better choice but it's hard to judge online.

 

I didn't like the stick on helmet mount, just didn't trust it on a snow helmet. I put the stick on mount on my rock climbing helmet, and use the goggle mount for skiing. Works fantastic!

post #42 of 86

Yeah I managed to tear the entire helmet mount off with my ski during a tomahawk earlier this season, couldn't find it in 2 feet of powder, definitely recommend the goggle mount.




Lukas

post #43 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarley84 View Post

 

I didn't like the stick on helmet mount, just didn't trust it on a snow helmet. I put the stick on mount on my rock climbing helmet, and use the goggle mount for skiing. Works fantastic!

 

I have heard some people have reported shaky footage with the goggle mount. I have never used it before, but could the make/model of your goggles make a difference? I have also read that people have had some success reinforcing the sticky part of the helmet mount with some gorilla glue. 

post #44 of 86

I have a goggle mount and didn't like it.  Not nearly as stable and difficult to keep aligned precisely on a consistent basis.

post #45 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

I have the regular Contour ROAM from before the newer one came out.  If you can find one for $100 then pull the trigger on it - you won't be disappointed.

As for editing software, no one (or most people anyway) uses software made by the camera companies.  If you have a mac the latest versions of iMovie are actually pretty good for editing.

Ive seen some video of perfect conditions with the original roam, but am curious how it performs on the mtn. Do you any quick links to some video examples of the roam? I was 2 seconds away from getting one from target, but was worried about delivery to my location. I may just take the risk and jump on the deal that's out there.....

Thanks in advance!
post #46 of 86

I used a Tachyon in the past but received a GoPro Silver for Christmas.  I haven't had a chance to mount it yet but I am a little concern on battery life.  I will pick up another battery before the big trip.

What I like about the tachyon is the fact that it takes 2 double A batteries.  I purchase the lithium Ion which gives me several days of usage. What I don't like is the helmet mount (either one).  There is just too much play while skiing.  The GoPro mounts looks much better.

 

Good luck.

post #47 of 86

One way I got around the shakiness from the goggle mount was to attach the adhesive patch from the helmet mount to the goggle mount's backside / the helmet, that way it doesn't wobble on the helmet, and should something manage to knock the camera hard enough to tear off the adhesive patch your camera will still be secured to the goggle strap.



Lukas 

post #48 of 86

I use the swivel helmet mount with my Contour.  Works great.

 

In theory I like the idea of the iPhone harness, but it doesn't solve the battery drain problem that smartphones have shooting video in cold weather. Or doing anything in cold weather.  

 

Also, video can eat up a lot of memory on my 16GB iPhone.  With the Contour you can insert different micro SD cards and without all the apps and music and stuff on a smartphone, the same 16GDB size can record a lot of video.  

post #49 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinVB View Post


Ive seen some video of perfect conditions with the original roam, but am curious how it performs on the mtn. Do you any quick links to some video examples of the roam?

 

Okay, here's a recent one of mine.  This is the original Contour Roam, set to record at 720p instead of 1080p because even the best HD online like Vimeo is going to convert your video to 720p anyway, plus you get a better viewing field of 170 degrees instead of 120 degrees - or something like that.  Early morning was blue bird, then after an hour or so it started snowing and the light went flat.  I included some of both in this.  To give you perspective, in person the light wasn't just flat, it was brutally flat to the point that groomers on the way back to the lift were scary and people were wiping out (and bumps were quite adventurous) - so the camera held up pretty well in those conditions considering.  However, to be fair, some of the best runs I had this day - including some chutes I hit for the first time ever - I didn't even bother to include because you can't really tell what's going on, but that's going to be the case with any camera.

 

 

 

Also, here's another Tahoe skier with better chops than me using a Countour.  Plenty of good stuff to watch: https://vimeo.com/skier666

post #50 of 86

Quick tip, remember to turn it off when going to the washroom. Especially if you have it helmet mounted and tend to look down...

post #51 of 86

I've looked at a lot of those helmet cam videos the last few years since that type system has become popular and at least for this person it simply gets boring rather quickly because one cannot see the skier skiing but rather just their view below as they descend.  Far better is to work with a friend who actually wants to capture some skiing videos and trade off recording each other skiing down some favorite terrain sections.  Yeah reality is it simply more interesting watching a person ski because the sport is about skiing not some chronicle of the terrain.    Another idea is to have the person with a helmet cam record some person skiing in front of them.  But good luck finding anyone doing that on Youtube.  Makes this person suspect that does not work out well except maybe on groomed runs because of constant motion of the skier with the camera?

post #52 of 86

off topic, does the helmet mounts create excessive wind noise, say cruising 20 mph?

post #53 of 86

The only downsides to POV I find are:

 

1) Depending on your personality, you might spend too much time/effort thinking/fiddling with the camera instead of focusing on skiing. Best to try not to think about the camera/footage, just hit record and deal with it later.

2) Unless you ski fast and fluidly, the footage is pretty boring (my opinion). For this reason, it's only useful to me on soft snow days (when you can go fast in interesting terrain).

post #54 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

 

Okay, here's a recent one of mine.  This is the original Contour Roam, set to record at 720p instead of 1080p because even the best HD online like Vimeo is going to convert your video to 720p anyway, plus you get a better viewing field of 170 degrees instead of 120 degrees - or something like that.  Early morning was blue bird, then after an hour or so it started snowing and the light went flat.  I included some of both in this.  To give you perspective, in person the light wasn't just flat, it was brutally flat to the point that groomers on the way back to the lift were scary and people were wiping out (and bumps were quite adventurous) - so the camera held up pretty well in those conditions considering.  However, to be fair, some of the best runs I had this day - including some chutes I hit for the first time ever - I didn't even bother to include because you can't really tell what's going on, but that's going to be the case with any camera.

 

Also, here's another Tahoe skier with better chops than me using a Countour.  Plenty of good stuff to watch: https://vimeo.com/skier666

Nice stuff!  I'm sold.  Your comments about the flat light; I think the camera did a pretty good job out there considering.

 

Thanks for posting it up,

Kevin

post #55 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

If you're skiing off piste in Chamonix you'll likely be wearing a beacon and if the Vallee Blanche or Grands Montets a harness.  Chest mount might not be the best idea if you have to get to the beacon. 

Check your own beacon for interference - I've been told a lot about GoPro vs tranciver interference lately  - I can't replicate any of the results myself - I haven't seen any of the ones online conducted in a scientific manner either.

 

In Chamonix if you wear your GoPro on top of your helmet, you'd better be skiing and have a good reason for it being up there and not on your chest - here generaly a go pro on the helmet means an anoying dumb/uninformed tourist.

 

GoPro's are great, mine has captured some fantastic images this year - but if it's not recording and it's just stuck up there you do look like I ROBOT ;)

post #56 of 86

A word of warning with GoPro's in Chamonix  - here we have more change of altitude on ski lifts and skiing than anywhere else in the world - it plays havoc with all things temperature and pressure sensitive - GoPro's are a sealed box  - I regularily suffer form condensation - sometimes inside sometimes outside.

 

You ride a lift here and you can have still air temperature swings of 30C easily .....add the windchill and that more than doubles (not that the windchill affects the little plastic box)

 

Close the camera at the top of the Aiguille du Midi and when you get to the valley you will have trouble opening it.

post #57 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2010 View Post

Is the Profile Mount that comes with the Roam adequate? It looks like it just sticks to the helmet--seems a bit insecure. Goggle Mount might be a better choice but it's hard to judge online.

Just clean the area of the helmet before applying, then let cure up overnight. I have had no issues with the profile mount. Just keep it as far forwad as your helmet will allow or the wide angle lense will always have part of your helmet in the picture. I also have a goggle mount, which I have yet to try, but the helmet mount is so easy and not fussy, plus it is not on top of your head making you look like a Teletubby.

post #58 of 86
Thread Starter 

I ended up getting the original Contour Roam on clearance for $100 at target.com. I used the rotating surface mount instead of the helmet mount and it worked great--the rotating mount lets you tilt the camera up or down, whereas the helmet mount is fixed. I installed it in my hotel room the night before my trip to Killington. The camera is very easy to turn on and off while wearing gloves; I turned it on only when going down except for one time when I accidentally recorded my entire conversation with someone on the gondola.

 

Here's a sample video, taken on the Superstar run, a moderately steep black at Killington. They had been blowing snow for 5 days straight, so there was a bit of fresh. I was on a demo pair of Dynastar Cham 97. The only problem I had (on other runs, not this one) was ice particles from the snow guns getting on the camera lens and my goggles.

 

post #59 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2010 View Post

 

 

Here's a sample video, taken on the Superstar run, a moderately steep black at Killington.

 

One thing about those cameras is they sure can never show steepness, thats a pretty steep run i guess the only way to show steepness is to look back or to the side where the trees are and you can kind of get the angle between the slope and direction the trees are for a better comparison? 

 

 

post #60 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2010 View Post

Okay, thanks for the input and encouragement. What about the question of chest vs helmet mounting?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_SSS View Post

I've looked at a lot of those helmet cam videos the last few years since that type system has become popular and at least for this person it simply gets boring rather quickly because one cannot see the skier skiing but rather just their view below as they descend.  Far better is to work with a friend who actually wants to capture some skiing videos and trade off recording each other skiing down some favorite terrain sections.  Yeah reality is it simply more interesting watching a person ski because the sport is about skiing not some chronicle of the terrain.    Another idea is to have the person with a helmet cam record some person skiing in front of them.  But good luck finding anyone doing that on Youtube.  Makes this person suspect that does not work out well except maybe on groomed runs because of constant motion of the skier with the camera?

 

This is my 4th season with the GoPro. From the beginning, I've used the chest mount because I like to see what my feet/legs/skis are doing, watching them go back and forth across the screen and trace out the arcs while going down the hill. I don't think it's easy to get that perspective from a helmet cam.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Camera: good idea or dorky?