planning a trip out to crested butte and Monarch. We are flying into Gunnison and thinking of going ahead and staying in Gunnison. Gunnison is a little lower elevation and we'll have our three month old baby with us which I think would be better for him at a lower elevation? any input where to stay and experience with young ones at higher elevations.
Related Forum Threads
- Monarch in Feb, is it enough for a father and son from NH/VT? Last post on 10/14/15 at 9:59am in General Skiing Discussion
- Trip to Monarch for the Young and Young at Heart Last post on 3/6/17 at 9:30am in Trip Reports
- Monarch Mountain, 1/3 Last post on 1/24/17 at 2:25pm in Trip Reports
- Driving to Crested Butte from Denver on Saturday 3/18/16 Last post on 3/18/16 at 10:21pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Spring Break on a budget? Last post on 2/20/16 at 10:38pm in General Skiing Discussion
Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...
Last edited: 1/8/16
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
skiing crested butte and monarch where to stay?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
When we skied CB a few years ago we stayed in Crested Butte right on the bus route and we loved it. (not Crested Butte Village, or whatever they call it, at the base area).
But travelling with a baby is very different. How important is being able to make a quick return to the room? Will you trade off, or alternate days, or what? Gunnison is not too far for a once a day commute, but it isn't right next door.
Crested Butte town is very cool and convenient enough; on mountain is pretty vanilla.
With such a small kid, someone's not going to be skiing at all I guess. Think you or your partner would be happy pushing a stroller around the town of CB, whether you're staying there or have to take the bus down from on-slope lodging.
As far as altitude goes, I have plenty of experience with kids sleeping at 1500 meters; CB is a full 1000 meters higher than that, though. We drove up/down every weekend from when kids were just over three months, and sometimes stopped once or twice on the way up to help with acclimation. Pretty important that ears are clear, pacifiers help. Our kids always slept just fine at 1500.
- skiing crested butte and monarch where to stay?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Atomic Vantage 90 CTI Skis 52 seconds ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 42 minutes ago
- › lessons around Tahoe... 42 minutes ago
- › Pondering a new bike (but I really shouldn't ... but hey, summer... 58 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › NYC End of Season Social Gathering 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Utah weather, news, and chat 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
- › Mountains that offer skiing and mountain biking 1 hour, 23 minutes ago
- › My 2nd annual Banff trip: March 9 – 11, 2017 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
- › More Retro memories???? 1 hour, 47 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview