planning a trip out to crested butte and Monarch. We are flying into Gunnison and thinking of going ahead and staying in Gunnison. Gunnison is a little lower elevation and we'll have our three month old baby with us which I think would be better for him at a lower elevation? any input where to stay and experience with young ones at higher elevations.
Related Forum Threads
- Monarch in Feb, is it enough for a father and son from NH/VT? Last post on 10/14/15 at 9:59am in General Skiing Discussion
- Driving to Crested Butte from Denver on Saturday 3/18/16 Last post on 3/18/16 at 10:21pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Spring Break on a budget? Last post on 2/20/16 at 10:38pm in General Skiing Discussion
- If you could do the ultimate CO ski trip, which slopes would you hit? Last post on 12/22/15 at 3:30pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Crested Butte Apres-Ski Last post on 12/30/15 at 3:19pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...
Last edited: 1/8/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
skiing crested butte and monarch where to stay?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
When we skied CB a few years ago we stayed in Crested Butte right on the bus route and we loved it. (not Crested Butte Village, or whatever they call it, at the base area).
But travelling with a baby is very different. How important is being able to make a quick return to the room? Will you trade off, or alternate days, or what? Gunnison is not too far for a once a day commute, but it isn't right next door.
Crested Butte town is very cool and convenient enough; on mountain is pretty vanilla.
With such a small kid, someone's not going to be skiing at all I guess. Think you or your partner would be happy pushing a stroller around the town of CB, whether you're staying there or have to take the bus down from on-slope lodging.
As far as altitude goes, I have plenty of experience with kids sleeping at 1500 meters; CB is a full 1000 meters higher than that, though. We drove up/down every weekend from when kids were just over three months, and sometimes stopped once or twice on the way up to help with acclimation. Pretty important that ears are clear, pacifiers help. Our kids always slept just fine at 1500.
- skiing crested butte and monarch where to stay?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Another What ski/size question, with a twist... 1 hour, 12 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 1 hour, 51 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 2 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 2 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › FS - barely used Icelantic, Line, Elan, Salomon & Surface skis -... 2 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Best Budget Skiing in North America? 3 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 3 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Rate my workout! 4 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › New Instructional Video: JF Beaulieu, Andreas Spittle & Nadine... 4 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › Ski Powder Highway 4 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer