EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › One ski quiver, need a solid all mountain twin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One ski quiver, need a solid all mountain twin

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Alright so I live in Texas, but I have had the incredible privilege of skiing all over the world since I was 4 years old and now a days I hit Colorado mountains, primarily Aspen, fairly regularly.  With that said, I had a pair of 2007 K2 silencers until last year when I hopelessly scratched them on a rocky drop off and now I am looking for another twin tip all mountain ski that isn't going crush my wallet.

 

My research has led me to the following skies, but I'm up for other suggestions as well, as that is why I have come to these forums:

 

Dynastar 6th Sense Distorter (I love the price on these bad boys)

Dynastar 6th Sense Slicer

Salomon Rocker 2 92

Line Prophet 90

 

All of which I will most likely mount with the Marker Griffon's or Look PX12's.

 

I'm a little guy at 5'8" 130 lbs and I ski pretty aggressively on pretty much all parts of the mountains. I ride piste fast, powder, moguls, tons of trees, the park (not my forte at all! All I can throw are grabs and a 360 and wait on the impending judgement of the far better locals), and backcountry.

 

Any feedback is highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

post #2 of 16

Have you skied any of these skis?

 

If you are skiing a K2 twin tip and like it, Why aren't the Kung Fujas and Obsethed (prior years model) on your list?

 

I spend exactly zero time in the Park, and own a pair of Kung Fu's and Seths. Both great all mountain skis, leaning a bit towards the off-piste side of things while still being perfectly capable on the groom.

post #3 of 16

Silencers are pretty soft, relatively speaking, which is probably fine for your weight, but the performance envelope is somewhat limited.  Many (most?) of the skis you identify (Prophet 90, for sure) are significantly stiffer.  If you prefer the feel of the Silencers, you should be looking for skis with no metal. 

 

Distorter might be a good choice.  I don't think they have metal and the Distorter is likely to be stouter than the Sliencer, which might turn out to be a good thing.  Rocker 2 might also be a good choice.  P90 probably isn't what you are looking for.

 

STE

post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 

I'm not looking at the Kung Fujas because they begin to cruise a little out of my budget, but I haven't yet looked into the Obsethed.  And I haven't the chance to ride any of these skis yet.  In fact I haven't ridden on any skis with a rocker yet except for the Rossignol S3 which I like but didn't love.  Right now I'm leaning towards the Dynastar Distorters, but I'd like to give the Rocker 2 92's a shot.  Does anyone know how the rocker/camber/rocker holds up in the park and in moguls?  Also, thanks again for all of your feedback

post #5 of 16

If you're looking at the Line Prophet, add the Line Sir Francis Bacon to that list.  That's what I'm skiing this year and it's a super fun all-mountain ski that can literally do everything at a superior level.  I absolutely love it.  

post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by djthomp View Post

If you're looking at the Line Prophet, add the Line Sir Francis Bacon to that list.  That's what I'm skiing this year and it's a super fun all-mountain ski that can literally do everything at a superior level.  I absolutely love it.  


Why would you add the bacon to the list based upon his interest in the P90. They have nothing in common beyond the name Line.

post #7 of 16

My son skis the Dynastar 6th Sense Bigs - 2010 model.  He is a very strong and aggressive skier and has had these all over the John Paul side of Snowbasin in Utah, including from the start house for the Olympic runs.  He prefers them to his dad's K2 Apache Recons and his own Atomic Crimson Nomads.

 

I can't speak to ski structure but he skis those things beautifully all over the mountain and loves them.

post #8 of 16

If you can find a place to demo them the High Society Free Rides. The problem with asking for advice is that a good "all mountain ski" is really going to depend on the rider, there will be people that tell you the ski should be something like 80-90 under foot, I know others that use a 110 underfoot.

 

Do you plan on dong a lot of drops or jumps? In that case you're gunna want something with a softer tail. Spend most of your time in trees or moguls? Then you want a skinnier ski.

 

We can provide you with a list of good skis but if your going with a true one quiver the "best" ski is going to be too dependent on your preferred terrain and style of skiing for us to point to a single ski and say that is the best all mountain

post #9 of 16

Are you sure you only need one ski in your quiver? I use two skis, one on each foot.

post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post


Why would you add the bacon to the list based upon his interest in the P90. They have nothing in common beyond the name Line.

 

I was simply stating that the Bacon is another excellent all-mountain ski by Line...I didn't say it had anything in common with the P90.  Just giving some feedback.

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski the East View Post

Silencers are pretty soft, relatively speaking, which is probably fine for your weight, but the performance envelope is somewhat limited.  Many (most?) of the skis you identify (Prophet 90, for sure) are significantly stiffer.  If you prefer the feel of the Silencers, you should be looking for skis with no metal. 

 

Distorter might be a good choice.  I don't think they have metal and the Distorter is likely to be stouter than the Sliencer, which might turn out to be a good thing.  Rocker 2 might also be a good choice.  P90 probably isn't what you are looking for.

 

STE

The Silencers are really one of the stiffer skis in the K2 lineup and is really just a PE with tip/tail rocker.  One great ski is the Recoil with a 90mm waist,one of the most underrated skis around. 

post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Really? Because the Silencers I had were pretty flexy
post #13 of 16

I just demoed the Salomon Rocker 92 (186cm) for 5 days. Its a fun ski. It skies MUCH shorter than the length suggests due to tip/tail rocker and center mount. It was good in the bumps and surprisingly in the hard pack. I am 6-2 and 195 and saw its limits when charging hard and fast (medium to large turns). Its a ski that likes to play but its not great at 30-40mph+. Not really meant for that. It was really easy to ski.

 

For my style I MUCH preffered the Volkl Kendo 184 that I demoed after and kept for my remaining week. Completely different skis obviously but best for the firm conditions and long groomers on Vail and BC and surprisingly capable in the crud. Goes over anything with authority but for bumps the Rocker 92 was much more fun. 

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruddog View Post

The Silencers are really one of the stiffer skis in the K2 lineup and is really just a PE with tip/tail rocker.  One great ski is the Recoil with a 90mm waist,one of the most underrated skis around. 

The 2007 Silencer was a noodle

 

Here is K2's description of the ski:

 

K2 Silencer Skis 2007

The K2 Silencer is an all-mountain pipe and park ski built to ski all over the mountain like its big brother, the Public Enemy. The K2 Silencer has a slightly narrower footprint and cap construction design for response and agility. The all black tone on tone design keeps it ultra low-profile and will quiet even the toughest critic.

 

Here's what Ski Diva's review had to say:

 

http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/mini-review-salomon-lord-and-k2-silencer.5149/


The Silencer makes the perfect ski for lighter or younger skiers looking for a twin tipped all-mountain option, as well as novice freestylers looking for their first park ski. It’s light and easy, and equally as important - amazingly good value for money. But just because it’s not expensive doesn’t mean it isn’t well made. K2 use a Torsion Box Construction with a fir wood core, giving the ski good pop and durability, this build is then Capped to increase the toughness without affecting the overall light weight. It has an 80mm waist for versatility, which, with the 17m radius and directional sidecut, offers great stability in all conditions. Hugely popular, and not hard to see why!

Light and easy, intermediate, will handle lots of terrain, cap, standard taper.

Features: Torsion Box Construction, Fir Core.
 

Here's the review a self-described intermediate skier gave on Evogear:

 

I'm a chick skier & my K2 True Love's could no longer fulfill me, haha. So I've gone to the boyz skis. I broke them in at Hakuba, Japan... These make me feel like a pro, I can do whatever, whenever & when I let them run, they [*]run! They don't like crud yet still cut through it, but these skis have more flex in them than my previous. I got the silencer poles free w the skis & lost a basket my first day, [*]! K2, make tighter grommits!

 

She is saying that the Silencer has a softer flex than her K2 True Love's, which were intermediate skis.

 

http://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/k2-silencer-2007.aspx

 

STE

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski the East View Post

The 2007 Silencer was a noodle

 

Here is K2's description of the ski:

 

K2 Silencer Skis 2007

The K2 Silencer is an all-mountain pipe and park ski built to ski all over the mountain like its big brother, the Public Enemy. The K2 Silencer has a slightly narrower footprint and cap construction design for response and agility. The all black tone on tone design keeps it ultra low-profile and will quiet even the toughest critic.

 

 

My Bad.....guess I'm thinking of the 2011 Silencer which was in fact a sidewall construction. It wasn't soft at all and identical construction as the Recoil. Yes, the 2007 ski was very similar to the current Press which is a $299 Park and Pipe ski. 

post #16 of 16

Does anyone have thoughts on the recoil? I'm looking into a set. I'm currently riding a 174 twin tip with no rocker. I'm looking into a set of 2013 Recoils with the all terrain rocker. I love my 174's but will I need to move up to 179 with the rocker? I do all of my riding in New England. I was looking at a set of 2013 Kung Fujas with tip and tail rocker, but I'm thinking the Recoil will be fine for less money. Any thoughts?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › One ski quiver, need a solid all mountain twin