EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2012 MX88 - Good Deal? (pics inside)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 MX88 - Good Deal? (pics inside)

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

Saw these skis online (2012 MX88 168cm, previous demo, looks to be a ski shop that is selling).  Price is $250 (+shipping).  Is this a really good deal or does the price reflect the state of the skis?  The bases look ok - the top sheets have a lot of chipping (is this to be expected for a demo with 1yr use on it?).  

 

any input appreciated.

 

thanks!!

 

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 27

Looks to me like the price reflects the beat top sheet but hey, what do you want for two fitty?  If that's the right length for you then I'd say make 'em your own.

post #3 of 27
It's notoriously difficult to tell anything meaningful about the condition of ski bases from an online photo. Extrapolating from the tops, I'd say they've had hard use. Doesn't make it a bad deal, necessarily. Just my two cents. Often the kind of skier who is fussy enough to want Kaestles is fussy enough to want skis that are not beat on. That may not be you.
post #4 of 27

I bought new Kastles last year and before doing so was looking at eBay for prices/deals. From that experience, a LOT of the top sheets seemed to have some chips. I gathered from that the impression that the top sheets may be somewhat more fragile than most skis. I could be wrong on that, mine are in fine shape still but I am careful with them and only used them a half dozen times in the spring. The bases may have a small gouge or 2 but the tops are new looking. That being said, I don't think I've seen a pair with so many chips and dings. But I never saw a pair so cheap either. If there the right size, 250 isn't bad, almost a ski swap price. With all that damage, I would probably try to protect the interior structures from the moisture with epoxy or some other sealant but that might be an ongoing process. Since the seller showed all the damage on the top, I would guess the bases and edges are OK but impossible to tell from the pictures. Another factor to consider is that the bindings are worth about half of the 250.

post #5 of 27
I know people like their Kastles but I have not been impressed by used Kastles. the ones I have looked at have been amazingly beat up. They tend to have excessive chipping with big chunks missing, sometimes including broken or missing pieces of top edge. My sample size is very small but I know I have not ever been able to make any of my skis look like the few pairs of used Kastles I have seen. I don't know if they use material that chips particularly easily or if Kastle skiers are just super hardcore. It's been the main reason why I have been holding off on getting a pair. I first want to see some that have 40 days on them without looking like they have been run over by a pisten bully.
post #6 of 27
People tend to sell skis they love once they are totally beat up. Some of the best cars make horrible used cars, because they either sell at a major percentage of list or the are used up. These are the skis and cars you buy new, or you look for the deals that never arise, because the newer stuff has real value and the older stuff is just used up.
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post

Looks to me like the price reflects the beat top sheet but hey, what do you want for two fitty?  If that's the right length for you then I'd say make 'em your own.

 

 

A new pair of MX88's with Jesters or Griffins would run close to 1,500 retail.  It would be hard for the ski to not have some life left in it despite the topsheet damage.  Wisdom from the FREAQ.

post #8 of 27

I just got some Kastles this year but haven't used them yet. Now I am kind of afraid to use them! Maybe I should some buy Blizzards to use and just look at the Kastles?

 

Keep in mind demos, popular ones like that, were likely used everyday, all day.

post #9 of 27

They look too beat up for me.  I personally would not get them.

post #10 of 27

I don't know how you can beat a topsheet so bad. Apparently cross your skis a couple hundred times I guess.

post #11 of 27
Who cares how beat up the top sheet is? It's a matter of how clean the base is and how much life is left in the ski and I'm willing to bet you can still get a ton of mileage out of these. I say go for it!
post #12 of 27

Kastle topsheets susceptible to chipping?  Certainly.  That's nothing new, and they're not Robinson Crusoe in that regard.  Other brands do the same thing.  It's just that the nice, glossy Kastle topsheets show the damage more readily.

 

So long as the skis aren't bent or delaminating, the ski retains most of its spring (or 'action'), the bases and edges are in ok condition, there's enough edge material left, the bindings function to spec, and there haven't been so many base grinds that the bases are paper thin, then I say go for it.  Kastle skis are made to last, using the best materials available and they should ski just fine for years to come.  A pair of MX88s for $250 ... heck yes!

 

Also, there comes a point when a ski looks gnarly enough to be quite cool.  Not sure the above skis are there yet, but anyone in the lift line with those skis would get respect from me.  For starters, great choice of ski.  On top of that, it looks like they get ridden hard and put away wet.

 

I'd ask if there was any delam, ask about the condition of the bases (hard to see from the photos), ask how much effective edge is left (again, hard to see, although the sidewalls don't seem to have been planed back at all), ask how many base grinds they'd seen, and ask if the bindings worked to spec.  Subject to all of that I'd go for it.  

 

[edit]  At least you won't be forever worrying about putting a chip on your nice new skis  smile.gif


Edited by sinbad7 - 1/10/13 at 9:43pm
post #13 of 27
Thread Starter 

thanks guys - very helpful input.  I'll sleep on it and then make a call tomorrow!

post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingThere View Post

thanks guys - very helpful input.  I'll sleep on it and then make a call tomorrow!


What you need to check is how much edge is left.  Assuming these were demos...they may have been sharpened daily on the machine...meaning there is no edge left.  In that case $250 is too much...lots of edge left...$250 is a good price. FWIW I own Kastle MX88 and have not noticed any top sheet issues at all.....

post #15 of 27

I owned Kastle 88's, now in Bumpfreaq's quiver, and the small chipping did occur.

 

One plus is the Marker Griffon bindings are demo bindings, very easily adjusted to your specific boot sole without any remount cost. A definite plus, and as vsirin points out, they  have significant value on their own.

post #16 of 27

These were my pair last year after 5 days use, so yes, they chip readily

 

 

 

My new pair have started to show some chipping as well with 3 days so far on them.

 

As Living Proof says, the bindings are good for $140-180 on their own, so for $250 if you get only a few days it would be cheaper than demoing them.

post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

These were my pair last year after 5 days use, so yes, they chip readily

 

 

 

My new pair have started to show some chipping as well with 3 days so far on them.

 

As Living Proof says, the bindings are good for $140-180 on their own, so for $250 if you get only a few days it would be cheaper than demoing them.

Wow,

 

I bought a pair of demo MX78's from Dawgcatching 3 seasons ago.  They had one chip when I bought them. 40ish days of use later and they still only have that one chip.

post #18 of 27

Some people ski with feet closer together than others.

 

Think I might take a file to the edges of my MX78s to bevel off the edge a bit more.  Anybody tried that?

post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post

Some people ski with feet closer together than others.

 

Think I might take a file to the edges of my MX78s to bevel off the edge a bit more.  Anybody tried that?

Did it with my kendo and didn't chip...

Just did the same with my new mx88...so far so good...

post #20 of 27

Ibought a pair of demo on the net last year and skidude is right, you have to check the edges...mine were small...

Also, the base had so much repair that I think that only 20% was original...

They were supposed to be my skis for rocks days... but they are more skis for my storage...

post #21 of 27

agree,

 

you need zooms of the edges and bases (including any repairs) to make a good decision here more than the tops..

 

If the bases and edges are good (in terms of not having been over-repaired and ground away; then just budget $50 for a full tune and you should be good to go.

post #22 of 27

I also purchased a demo pair of MX-78's from Dogcatching.  Now have an additional 50+ days on them and the topsheets still look good but not perfect.  I patrol on them and they get a workout.

 

If looks are real important to you don't buy them and keep looking. I have never seen a pair so cheap.  Some people where I ski paint their skis. Use some gloss white epoxy paint??

 

If the edges and bottom are good and not ground completely away they are a bargain. These things ski very well indeed.

 

Good luck.
 

post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrezmer View Post

I also purchased a demo pair of MX-78's from Dogcatching.  Now have an additional 50+ days on them and the topsheets still look good but not perfect.  I patrol on them and they get a workout.

 

If looks are real important to you don't buy them and keep looking. I have never seen a pair so cheap.  Some people where I ski paint their skis. Use some gloss white epoxy paint??

 

If the edges and bottom are good and not ground completely away they are a bargain. These things ski very well indeed.

 

Good luck.
 

 

thanks for your input  - looks are not important - just wanted to make sure it had decent usable life and it's skiing integrity wasn't compromised.

post #24 of 27

Everyone's been commenting on the wrong side of the ski. The shot is not totally focused but it seems to me that the left ski (as you look at it) has a long gouge right down to the metal under the base, along the outside (left side) about a third of the way down from the tips. Could be wrong, but consistent with the topsheets, which are a lot worse than any demo for sale that I've ever seen. My .02:  The skis are thrashed, but probably have plenty of life left if you can handle them looking like you fought WWIII on them. The base, if it has that gouge, will require some shop work, and the topsheet just below the Kastle logo looks like one "chip" is actually down into the glass under the nylon, will need to be sealed. I'd guess a $100-$120 minimum for those (if I'm right, may not be), and you may have to get the bindings remounted, another $50-$80 w DIN adjustments. So total could be $250 or could be north of $400. No longer great in that case, but the bindings make the deal work, actually.

 

p.s. Have owned several Kastles, have never had an issue with chipping, that probably reflects style. 

post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrezmer View Post
 Some people where I ski paint their skis. Use some gloss white epoxy paint?

 

Paint a pair of Kastles?  You'd have to be mad!

post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

Everyone's been commenting on the wrong side of the ski. The shot is not totally focused but it seems to me that the left ski (as you look at it) has a long gouge right down to the metal under the base, along the outside (left side) about a third of the way down from the tips. Could be wrong, but consistent with the topsheets, which are a lot worse than any demo for sale that I've ever seen. My .02:  The skis are thrashed, but probably have plenty of life left if you can handle them looking like you fought WWIII on them. The base, if it has that gouge, will require some shop work, and the topsheet just below the Kastle logo looks like one "chip" is actually down into the glass under the nylon, will need to be sealed. I'd guess a $100-$120 minimum for those (if I'm right, may not be), and you may have to get the bindings remounted, another $50-$80 w DIN adjustments. So total could be $250 or could be north of $400. No longer great in that case, but the bindings make the deal work, actually.

 

p.s. Have owned several Kastles, have never had an issue with chipping, that probably reflects style. 

 

Thanks Beyond - good advice.  After some thought and based on input here decided not to go for it.

post #27 of 27

It's way early, but you could contact Dawgcatching or Whiteroom about demos that they will eventually sell, get your interest on record. Theirs will be in better shape. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2012 MX88 - Good Deal? (pics inside)