or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Après-Ski › The most dangerous ski slopes in the World
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The most dangerous ski slopes in the World - Page 3

post #61 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
 

 

DOA is out of bounds off Blackcomb peak. I would not consider it dangerous or challenging (inbounds or not), it's actually a very easy ski other than the rocky chokes near the top which sometimes require side stepping depending on snowpack. I would put these higher:

 

Resort (excluding permanent closures):

-Excitation/Exhileration on Whistler (when icy) due to the pitch and rocks

-Skier's right gullies on CBC trees on Blackcomb (steep and rocky, icefalls and mandatory air with tight landings)

-Wildside into Zutzut (mandatory air over some rocks to get into it) in Diamond bowl on Blackcomb

-Skier's left on False Face or Hawaii 5-0 (Chainsaw on Blackcomb) because of rocks and exposure if you fall on the top pitch

 

Sidecountry:

-Hourglass chute on Tremor (pitch, mandatory air 2/3rd down)

-Asian Pussy off Spearhead (exposure the entire way)

-Summit chute and Elevator Shaft on Fissle (extreme pitch, exposure and length)

-NW face of Mt. Fitzsimmons (exposure, consistent pitch and size) near the top


Quite true. Names for gullies skier's right of CBC:  Forever gullies.

post #62 of 82

Or maybe the backcountry Cathedral Chutes.

post #63 of 82

Most dangerous runs for me are all at JH - have never had nearly the guts to drop S&S and props to those who mentioned they have. The three below are pretty high consequence for a wrong move. 

 

Horseshoe Couloir 

Pucker Face 

NW Passage 

 

Next is probably not that dangerous but I used to find very, very challenging to ski well - Pats Peak slalom, top to bottom ice - I hate that run - its harder to ski well for me than goat! (Though no nearly as long and physically grueling to ski top to bottom) 

post #64 of 82

:worthless 

We need pictures!

post #65 of 82

Video of Rambo. Dangerous? Maybe. Fun? Definitely! Rambo begins at :23. Rear facing POV camera starting at :50 looks like this guy just jumped out of an airplane.

post #66 of 82

The Vallee Blanche by any route should be on any list of dangerous slopes due to the crevasses. Off piste of course, but given the number of people who ski it--it often has moguls--it warrants inclusion. When we were there 3 years ago an Italian guide was killed on the normal route from the Italian side. Last year a member of PGHM died in a crevasse. Three years ago the day we skied it there were 12 crevasse rescues (it was a low snow year). 

post #67 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiWhistler View Post
 

Or maybe the backcountry Cathedral Chutes.

 

Have these been skied before? Have never heard of anyone hitting them and couldn't find any evidence Google searching Macbeth. I also haven't been up close to them to see if they actually go or not. Would probably have to be a multi day out of the hut?

post #68 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
 

 

Have these been skied before? Have never heard of anyone hitting them and couldn't find any evidence Google searching Macbeth. I also haven't been up close to them to see if they actually go or not. Would probably have to be a multi day out of the hut?


Definitely a multi day out of the hut. Or in my case, a helicopter ride. I don't know if they have been skied or been named (I call them the cathedral chutes) but I have skied the one to the far left

before it goes down on another ridge (I call it Suicide) with my bud. Awfully rocky, giant year but difficult and fun. I don't recommend this if you can't ski Hourglass.

post #69 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiWhistler View Post
 


Definitely a multi day out of the hut. Or in my case, a helicopter ride. I don't know if they have been skied or been named (I call them the cathedral chutes) but I have skied the one to the far left

before it goes down on another ridge (I call it Suicide) with my bud. Awfully rocky, giant year but difficult and fun. I don't recommend this if you can't ski Hourglass.

 

Wow, cool. The one far looks left in that pic (that ends of going lookers right over exposure)? That is bad ass. Didn't realize Whistler Heli will drop people there and ski that stuff? 

post #70 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
 

 

Wow, cool. The one far looks left in that pic (that ends of going lookers right over exposure)? That is bad ass. Didn't realize Whistler Heli will drop people there and ski that stuff? 


Actually, it was a mistake. We meant to ski the Curtain Glacier and it was full of crevasses. We thought (from the air) we had a line, and we skied our line but then we got stuck halfway through as the crevasse had a hidden part that was too dangerous. So we went to the side to see if the chute was good enough to ski. There were no rocks at the top, so my bud said: "Let's do it" and dropped in before I could see the chute. It was very scary but we didn't kill ourselves and the hell picked us up at the bottom.

post #71 of 82

I just saw a link to Unofficial Networks with a title about the Most Dangerous Slopes in the World I thought......I think I've seen that list before.  Sure enough, this is a list from a few years ago, but then, its summer and lists are one of the things we talk about to pass the time. :popcorn

 

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/travel/wipeout-world-dangerous-ski-slopes-gallery-1.47389

post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

I just saw a link to Unofficial Networks with a title about the Most Dangerous Slopes in the World I thought......I think I've seen that list before.  Sure enough, this is a list from a few years ago, but then, its summer and lists are one of the things we talk about to pass the time. :popcorn

 

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/travel/wipeout-world-dangerous-ski-slopes-gallery-1.47389

 

The list is bogus because...

1) Stowe isn't mentioned on it

2) They left out WROD at end of a weekend day.

post #73 of 82

I would have to go back and look at my old posts in this thread but I think I mentioned that Mountain Run at Squaw is the most dangerous run in the world.  More close calls on Mountain Run than I've ever had on any of the other terrain I've skied at Squaw. 

post #74 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

I would have to go back and look at my old posts in this thread but I think I mentioned that Mountain Run at Squaw is the most dangerous run in the world.  More close calls on Mountain Run than I've ever had on any of the other terrain I've skied at Squaw. 

 

 

Yeah.  Looks like a great place to crank high-speed GS turns with sudden, unpredictable changes in direction -- or to stop suddenly at choke points to take pictures.

post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post
 

 

 

Yeah.  Looks like a great place to crank high-speed GS turns with sudden, unpredictable changes in direction -- or to stop suddenly at choke points to take pictures.

Mountain run is more like the intermediate run that takes you - and everyone else - from the top of Squaw to the village.  Its not the terrain that's scary ;)

post #76 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Mountain run is more like the intermediate run that takes you - and everyone else - from the top of Squaw to the village.  Its not the terrain that's scary wink.gif

Yup.
post #77 of 82

Actually, Mountain Run is fine in the morning.  The lower-level team kids lap it in the AM when there's nobody else there.  They can really work on technique with that length of groomer.

post #78 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

I just saw a link to Unofficial Networks with a title about the Most Dangerous Slopes in the World I thought......I think I've seen that list before.  Sure enough, this is a list from a few years ago, but then, its summer and lists are one of the things we talk about to pass the time. :popcorn

 

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/travel/wipeout-world-dangerous-ski-slopes-gallery-1.47389

Some pretty odd choices on that list. I can't imagine why they picked Al's Run at Taos there is certainly much more challenging terrain there and it's certainly not the most challenging bump run I have been on and my bump experience is admittedly limited.

post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog View Post
 

I would add any beginners slope during the holidays.


Exactly.

 

Numero Uno on my list would be the catwalks on the lower mountain during the afternoon at VAiL during the xmas holiday period (Dec.-Jan.). I find people way more dangerous than the terrain.

post #80 of 82

Mt Tremblant - anywhere. Too many inexperienced people mixed with to many alcohol fueled bros and yahoos. Throw in rock hard snow and a dangerous "funnel" at the bottom of the slope for fun. I know more people who have been hit and injured there than anywhere else.

post #81 of 82

Skied one of them, Al's Run at Taos and I would say that it is not a dangerous run.   Big moguls but not dangerous  - Gunbarrel at Heavenly has the same size moguls and is steeper and longer and then you have the psychological aspect of looking down at Harrahs and it looks like a postage stamp.  The most dangerous run I  have ever skied is the traverse 60 yards uphill from the Rooka Jac at Portillo, a definite no fall zone, fall and you're dead scared the crap out of me.

post #82 of 82

I do not know if it still is, but statistically speaking Mozart at Keystone in Colorado was at one time the most dangerous run in the state of Colorado.  More people were injured on that run than any other run if the state of Colorado.  Keystone is three mountains laid out one behind the other.  Everyone on Dercum Mountain (the front mountain) had to ski down Mozart to get back to the next two mountains.  Mozart is a blue run with a couple steeper (for a blue run) pitches on it.  This run is always icy and almost always crowded with many people skiing it not belonging on it.  It is a bad mix of crowds, terrain and conditions.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Après-Ski
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Après-Ski › The most dangerous ski slopes in the World