or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › Beardski: embrace your inner Yeti.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beardski: embrace your inner Yeti.

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

I found Epicski.com just in time to make arrangements to join the 2011 Gathering in Summit County.  One of the advertisers at the time was Beardski, and I was feeling silly.  So I bought one (dark brown beard, although the white Hoth one was tempting...).  Been wearing it ever since (slight mishap notwithstanding, see below).

 

As a conversation starter, it is without peer: no piece of gear I own breaks the ice among strangers on the hill like the Beard.  I'm actually an ornery, private individual, but I enjoy making a shivering fellow fella smile.  Life is too short to be grumpy all the time.  Even some of my fellow female skiers have donned the Beard, if only out of curiosity (Ah Becky, you shouldn't have chickened out; now you'll never know...).

 

As a face and neck warmer, this thing is great, better than anything else I have tried.  It is warm, accommodates helmet straps, and doesn't fog up my goggles.  

 

I skip the Beard for things like clinics or when I want to focus on communicating on the hill more than warmth.  It's not that you can't be heard wearing the Beard, but it's like the the sense of courtesy that drives some of us to take off sunglasses when we are talking to folks.  I really am nitpicking here, just trying to think to where I didn't want to wear it.  It IS too warm for non-chilly days...  Oh, and:

 

DO NOT put it in the dryer.  I did, and had to buy a new one.  Putting this in the dryer (there is probably a warning label I ignored), will turn your beautiful faux face-mane into something unwearable, about as useful as a deep-fried Chewbacca.  Don't do it.

post #2 of 21

worthless.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1000

post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 

I thought about pics as I hit submit and headed out the door earlier, pretty silly to review a product and not include something like that.  Lemme see here... oh yes, here we go:

 

 

1000

post #4 of 21

there are so many things I could say and you are a friend but the words that best summarizes are "not a good thing"  wink.gif

post #5 of 21

biggrin.gif

post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

worthless.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1000

 

What I love about this pic is that you can see Seg in the goggle reflection. FTM, the picture that comes up on my phone for you is one with the beard. I'll look for the original to post.

 

Back to your review, I'll admit that the beard IS one of the things that made me talk to you on the E-Chair at Breck. Definitely a conversation starter. However, I don't think I was ballsy enough to ask about the beard, so I think I spent most of that first day thinking you were kind of a creeper (still waiting for evidence indicating otherwise, btw).

post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSloan View Post

 

What I love about this pic is that you can see Seg in the goggle reflection. FTM, the picture that comes up on my phone for you is one with the beard. I'll look for the original to post.

 

Back to your review, I'll admit that the beard IS one of the things that made me talk to you on the E-Chair at Breck. Definitely a conversation starter. However, I don't think I was ballsy enough to ask about the beard, so I think I spent most of that first day thinking you were kind of a creeper (still waiting for evidence indicating otherwise, btw).

 

There's a pic from the same day with proof of my inability to ski; the beard has a noticeable amount of pine needles in it.  Is that the one you have?  

 

I'm afraid you won't find much evidence to indicate otherwise.  The random phone call from Kirkwood should have should have been the latest of many clues...

post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairToMiddlin View Post

 

There's a pic from the same day with proof of my inability to ski; the beard has a noticeable amount of pine needles in it.  Is that the one you have?  

 

I'm afraid you won't find much evidence to indicate otherwise.  The random phone call from Kirkwood should have should have been the latest of many clues...

 

TC sent me a picture message from that phone call. THAT should be the pic that comes up on my phone. Haha.

post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 

While I am quite pleased with the gnar points earned that day...

 

Oh no you don't!  There's children present!  Think of the children!

 

In any event, if I hadn't just foolishly torched the (first) beardski in TC's dryer the evening before, I sure would have been wearing it that during that call.  It was super cold that day!

post #10 of 21

We really need a photo that mixes the kirkwood and beardski pics. If you know what I mean. (ie, I don't care where you wear it, but that's all you can wear)

post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

We really need a photo that mixes the kirkwood and beardski pics. If you know what I mean. (ie, I don't care where you wear it, but that's all you can wear)

 

Yessss . . .

post #12 of 21

Found it. I'll have to track down the original. The resolution on this sucks because it's the pic from the contact info on my phone, but you get the idea.

 

1000

post #13 of 21

I had a black Beardski at the gathering in Tahoe last March.  It works, but sure looks silly.  Fortunately no photo-evidence.

post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSloan View Post

Found it. I'll have to track down the original. The resolution on this sucks because it's the pic from the contact info on my phone, but you get the idea.

 

1000

 

I rather liked this:

 

 

1000

 

The important part of the story is the very cool SkiLogik Howitzers, neat-o skis, despite the abominable (snowman) tune... the snobby skier from Florida, on the other hand, needs to turn from his gaper ways and clip them day passes from Montana!

post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairToMiddlin View Post

 

I rather liked this:

 

 

1000

 

The important part of the story is the very cool SkiLogik Howitzers, neat-o skis, despite the abominable (snowman) tune... the snobby skier from Florida, on the other hand, needs to turn from his gaper ways and clip them day passes from Montana!

 

Nah, with that beardski the day passes are exactly where they belong. How did you like the Aspen airport, anyway???

post #16 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSloan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairToMiddlin View Post

 

I rather liked this:

 

 

1000

 

The important part of the story is the very cool SkiLogik Howitzers, neat-o skis, despite the abominable (snowman) tune... the snobby skier from Florida, on the other hand, needs to turn from his gaper ways and clip them day passes from Montana!

 

Nah, with that beardski the day passes are exactly where they belong. How did you like the Aspen airport, anyway???

 

That's not cool.  The Aspen airport is a black hole; your hopes of getting in a good ski day disappear when you buy a ticket into there.  Only idiots from Florida would book a flight into... 

 

Did I mention the Beardski was warm?

post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairToMiddlin View Post

 

That's not cool.  The Aspen airport is a black hole; your hopes of getting in a good ski day disappear when you buy a ticket into there.  Only idiots from Florida would book a flight into... 

 

Did I mention the Beardski was warm?

But it spawned one of the all-time-classic threads of epic....

post #18 of 21

Hey, I just realized it's Texas week up at the boat (yes, seriously) so I am thinking this would be the one week where the beard would actually be considered "normal"  biggrin.gif

post #19 of 21

Did somebody say Texas and Beards?

 

post #20 of 21

not really like those Texans......  wink.gif

 

post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairToMiddlin View Post

Oh no you don't!  There's children present!  Think of the children!

 

 

 

Wait...who?......wha, so let me get this straight th_dunno-1[1].gif

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › Beardski: embrace your inner Yeti.