or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › WB - January 4-10th
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WB - January 4-10th

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Was going to go to SLC, but conditions seemed marginal, particularly when reservations had to be made, so swapped it out for WB.

 

4th - Touron world - aren't they all supposed to be home by now? Well, they're not, and early day lines on Green chair, and Harmony were, not good.

 

Today started OK, since everything's open, and thankfully lines seem to be easing.

 

1000

 

As usual though, visibility was Whistleresque, meaning flat light city.

 

There's allegedly a major dump coming in soon, so let's see how this goes. Today was first day out on Kastle LX92 - nice ski, very nice. Going to take tomorrow off, sleep late and watch playoff games, but looking forward to taking the new skis out again.

post #2 of 15
It's still Xmas break, thus the tourons. Next week should be nice.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

Well, it was a good news, bad news day. First, the bad news that the tourons are still in place, as the line at the Whistler Gondola was fairly significant for a Monday, although it was a powder day:

 

1000

 

So, I fled that line and went over to the Blackcomb gondola that had no line. A while later I was looking down at the 7th Heaven lift, and saw some good news:

 

1000

 

Noice!

 

Sadly, WB is the whiteout capital of the universe, and the top of 7th, and the Glacier chair were ski by braille. When WB says the visibility is poor, just take them at their word:

 

1000

 

So with about 8-10 overnight, it put a nice topping on some fairly hard crust underneath. Had to take the blunderbuss Kastle 108's out today to plow through the stuff. What a ski!

 

1000

 

On occasion the sun would flirt with coming out, so there'd be some strange lighting

 

1000

 

Overall an interesting day. Nice snow, usually miserable vis.

post #4 of 15

It still surprises me at the number of people who line up for the Whistler gondi while being able to see the empty maze of the Excaliber (Blackcomb) gondi. 

There are some excellent powder pockets to be found all over Blackcomb with the blowing snow!  When the vis is grim (aka - ski by braille), I recommend a hike up to Grey Zone and then take any of the lines around Crystal chair or hit the trees (burnt trees especially) down to the rescue road and back to Excelerator.  Also, the patroller trees hold snow quite well and have a really good pitch.

Wednesday has the potential to be pretty epic so hopefully you get to stick around and enjoy the goods!

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimptacular View Post

It still surprises me at the number of people who line up for the Whistler gondi while being able to see the empty maze of the Excaliber (Blackcomb) gondi. 

There are some excellent powder pockets to be found all over Blackcomb with the blowing snow!  When the vis is grim (aka - ski by braille), I recommend a hike up to Grey Zone and then take any of the lines around Crystal chair or hit the trees (burnt trees especially) down to the rescue road and back to Excelerator.  Also, the patroller trees hold snow quite well and have a really good pitch.

Wednesday has the potential to be pretty epic so hopefully you get to stick around and enjoy the goods!

 

Yes, I leave on a red-eye Wednesday, so hoping that the goods are good! And you're right - while it's a gondi and two chairs to get to the top of Blackcomb, even with that and a P2P ride, it's still probably quicker than the darned Whistler Gondi.

 

Forgot about the burnt trees - need to do that. Almost got off the traverse to go down Bark Sandwich - should have, 7th was hopeless vis almost all the way down to the chair.

post #6 of 15

Arthur's Choice and Outer Limits are both a very good places to hide off Crystal chair when the light gets flat and when the snow is good. You should also try Fragglerock. Hopefully, they build the new chair so we only need one lift to get back up in the future.

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer View Post

Arthur's Choice and Outer Limits are both a very good places to hide off Crystal chair when the light gets flat and when the snow is good. You should also try Fragglerock. Hopefully, they build the new chair so we only need one lift to get back up in the future.


Yeah I though that the relocated Harmony was going to become the Crystal chair this year. Latest story is that it'll happen this coming summer.

post #8 of 15
Fraggle rock was skiing pretty well on Sunday but there's still a few exposed rocks to watch for on the steep walls....
If you do head to Whistler side, there are still sone nice lines in Robertson's trees off of Harminy Ridge and the incoming snow should fill them in quite nicely.
post #9 of 15

That is a long trip from SoFLA, but it beats the hell out of the snow here. lmao

One of my ski gurus many, many years ago warned me of the WBcloud/fog during the season, even my sis in Corvalis stays at home.

Sno, at least you are right on the SLC conditions, the new year is off to a slow start.

One of my ski bros from Brookline, MA is moving to Ogden this month and stopped by here in Naples to see his Mom before heading out,

they need more snow, so no rush to get there.

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 

So today it snowed. And snowed, and snowed.

 

This is from my balcony this afternoon, but it's indicative of what we had all day:

 

 

OK, the vis was Whistler-usual. There was even a sign at the bottom of Harmony that the vis didn't exist. So, what else is new?

 

Here was someone enjoying the snow new snow on Bear Paw:

 

 

Have to pack everything up to leave tomorrow afternoon, but I'm coming back in 10 days, so the hotel will just keep my gear. Here's my first shot of the latest quiver that'll live at WB (the LX92's are the latest addition:

 

 

Today I had the LX92's out. So, so smooth. Tomorrow will be the MX108's for all the new snow. For a wide ski with very little sidecut what they can do is just amazing.

post #11 of 15
The rest of us posters can try and live vicariously through your frequent trips and gear. But I'm puzzled with watching football after traveling as far as you did to get there. On the other hand ,what the hell, you're back there in a week and a half anyway. Why ski in a milk bottle. I was only there once and that's the one drawback of the place. Visibility was challenging .
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Round turns View Post

The rest of us posters can try and live vicariously through your frequent trips and gear. But I'm puzzled with watching football after traveling as far as you did to get there. On the other hand ,what the hell, you're back there in a week and a half anyway. Why ski in a milk bottle. I was only there once and that's the one drawback of the place. Visibility was challenging .


7 days = 3 days on, 1 day off to (hope) the legs recover, then another 3 days on. C'mon man, Vikings at Packers - not to be missed! (and there were those 30-40mph winds and such that made for a wonderful excuse).

post #13 of 15

Seems that the jetstream is parked like a two ton gorilla right there on the border, hope you get some relief from that before your return.

How bout a nice sunny trip to CO? Wish I had your miles. lmao

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snokat View Post

Seems that the jetstream is parked like a two ton gorilla right there on the border, hope you get some relief from that before your return.

How bout a nice sunny trip to CO? Wish I had your miles. lmao

 

download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f138016%5fAHvGimIAAStjUO2VBgtmnC8zfdI&pid=2.2&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=YahooMailClassic

 

My car last night.

post #15 of 15

It didn't post, but let me guess. Snow hat?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › WB - January 4-10th