New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hot Gear Bag? - Page 2

post #31 of 55

i have, early last spring I contacted them about my heating element.  IT WAS a little difficult getting thru to them, eventually I got human on the line.  the replaced the element on the spot; I got it in about 10 days.

I love their stuff even though getting thru is a bit of a pita.  keep trying...    btw, if I remember right, they were more apt to answer the phones in the afternoon.

good luck,

post #32 of 55

Thanks.  Been calling in the afternoons but it either rings until it goes to voicemail or rings once and then goes to VM which makes me think someone just doesn't want to take the call.  Pretty terrible customer service, if I had known it would have been like this, I would have ordered it from one of their dealers instead.  

post #33 of 55

I got my bag from http://www.fuxiracingusa.com/ and race with him.

 

He will take care of HotGear bags without issue.

post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cee View Post

Does anyone know if this bag is compatible with intuition liners? I know that the intuition website says no, but I'm hoping that some of you may have personal experience. I often view such warnings from manufacturers as liability control.

I've used my bag for several years, like it very much, and would like to keep using it if I can do so without ruining my new liners.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Like everyone else I have the bag and love it. I called intuition exactly with the same question about the liners and they said no problem being in the heated bag
post #35 of 55

I have loved my hot gear bag for years and now feel I need it. :o

 

 

However,it simply didn't work when I cranked it up this season. Went to the website to buy my THIRD heating element. Out of Stock. Really????

 

I decided to take it apart -- take of the plastic outer layer off -- to see if I could figure out why it failed. There was a burn mark, almost like a cigarette burn where one of the heating wires had gotten too hot and had burned a hole through the fiber covering. Jeez. Glad it didn't start a fire!

 

Great bag; flimsy heating element. Hot Gear Bag has been in business with these elements for a while. I hope they find a better design or a better manufacturer.

 

I am abandoning HotGearBag for a Transpac in the hopes that it will be more durable.

post #36 of 55
Look at the bullet proof Athalon
post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfan View Post

I got my bag from http://www.fuxiracingusa.com/ and race with him.

He will take care of HotGear bags without issue.

That looks exactly like my Athalon bag
post #38 of 55

Ive heard Hot Gear Bag went out of business this summer. Started to see many of their designs with knockoff labels now. 

post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhanson View Post
 

Ive heard Hot Gear Bag went out of business this summer. Started to see many of their designs with knockoff labels now. 

 

http://skigearbag.com/products.aspx

 

Appear to be doing business as usual. Excellent bags.

post #40 of 55

have been trying to replace the failed heating element in my bag for a while now. No answer or returned messages from Hot Gear. Reaching out to Franz at Fuxi Racing to see if it's possible to buy a stand a lone replacement. 

post #41 of 55
can't you waste a hand warmer and throw it into your boot bag?

extra credit if you spend a little effort and line your boot bag with a reflective surface, such as emergency blanket.
post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrover04 View Post
 

have been trying to replace the failed heating element in my bag for a while now. No answer or returned messages from Hot Gear. Reaching out to Franz at Fuxi Racing to see if it's possible to buy a stand a lone replacement. 

 

 

Some people just replace it with something like this:

 

https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-731-500-Heating-UltraHeat-Technology/dp/B00075M1T6/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1480954925&sr=1-2&th=1

post #43 of 55

Everyone in the industry is scrambling to figure out what is going on with them.  According to some who have contacted the manufacturer in China, no order was placed this year for Hot Gear.

 

I would cancel your order if you can, or dispute the charge.

post #44 of 55
I have read you can by a heating element at cvs for a plug in.
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start Haus View Post
 

Everyone in the industry is scrambling to figure out what is going on with them.  According to some who have contacted the manufacturer in China, no order was placed this year for Hot Gear.

 

I would cancel your order if you can, or dispute the charge.


​I had a friend order this summer, no communication from them, had to dispute the charges. They charged but he never received anything. When I was at Surefoot in Beaver Creek over Thanksgiving they told me very definitively they had went out of business and they were carrying other brands. Sad, I had good service from them.  

post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start Haus View Post
 

Everyone in the industry is scrambling to figure out what is going on with them.  According to some who have contacted the manufacturer in China, no order was placed this year for Hot Gear.

 

I would cancel your order if you can, or dispute the charge.

 

 

I can second this. After the creator of Hot Gear passed on a couple years ago the business has not been keeping up. To my knowledge nothing is in the pipeline.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom View Post
 

I have loved my hot gear bag for years and now feel I need it. :o

 

 

However,it simply didn't work when I cranked it up this season. Went to the website to buy my THIRD heating element. Out of Stock. Really????

 

I decided to take it apart -- take of the plastic outer layer off -- to see if I could figure out why it failed. There was a burn mark, almost like a cigarette burn where one of the heating wires had gotten too hot and had burned a hole through the fiber covering. Jeez. Glad it didn't start a fire!

 

Great bag; flimsy heating element. Hot Gear Bag has been in business with these elements for a while. I hope they find a better design or a better manufacturer.

 

I am abandoning HotGearBag for a Transpac in the hopes that it will be more durable.

 

Have you tried using the 12v portion of the heating element? My 120v plug stopped working. Plugged it into a 12v adaptor and voila, working element. Since the defective one had been replaced, I put the 12v only one in a different boot bag for my second pair of boots. You'll need a 12v adaptor that can put out sufficient current to handle the element. If you are interested I'll report back with the output of my adaptor.

post #47 of 55

Homemade hot gear bag

I was all set to buy a Hot Gear bag for my wife's Tecnica Diablo 130s. They are a struggle to get on especially since she is recovering from a broken knee. However after reading the mixed reviews I decided to see what I could do myself. We bought a season clearout 50 can soft side cooler for $18 at Canadian Tire and dug out a Sunbeam Ultra heating pad we weren't using. (The heating pad needs to be cheap so it doesn't have a timer. That way you can leave it on all night.) The pad was rated at 50 watts which seems to be the norm but I suspect is less than the Hot Gear bag uses for their 'hot' setting. We experimented and found wrapping the front and side of the boots with the pad's fabric cover removed worked perfectly. 

We want to keep them warm in the car and since our car doesn't have a 110 outlet I (many cars do) I plugged the pad into a small 150 watt inverter to run off the 12 volt plug and we are all set.

As an added bonus there is lots and lots of room for hat, gloves, etc.

post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post
 

 

I can second this. After the creator of Hot Gear passed on a couple years ago the business has not been keeping up. To my knowledge nothing is in the pipeline.

 

Have you tried using the 12v portion of the heating element? My 120v plug stopped working. Plugged it into a 12v adaptor and voila, working element. Since the defective one had been replaced, I put the 12v only one in a different boot bag for my second pair of boots. You'll need a 12v adaptor that can put out sufficient current to handle the element. If you are interested I'll report back with the output of my adaptor.

 

It is rated at 6 AMPs.

 

post #49 of 55

Not sure if they're still available but Lange made a heated boot bag also but if Hot Gear was making them for Lange they may not be available either.  Used to see a lot of ski racers with the Lange heated boot bags because they were pretty big and would hold all their equipment.  Anyone know if these are still available?

post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJo23 View Post
 

Not sure if they're still available but Lange made a heated boot bag also but if Hot Gear was making them for Lange they may not be available either.  Used to see a lot of ski racers with the Lange heated boot bags because they were pretty big and would hold all their equipment.  Anyone know if these are still available?

Available here

http://mountaincultures.com/store/lange-heated-bag/dp/1729

post #51 of 55

These heated bags are wonderfully decadent. I got mine several years ago at an instructor pro deal event. There are actually several companies making them now. If you are a PSIA member, at least one company discounts them on the PSIA pro deals site.

 

Rich

post #52 of 55

Does anyone know anything about this company? I put an order in on December 12th and my credit card was charged, but I have not gotten confirmation, an order number, or any shipping information from them since. 

 

Can anyone advice? Has this turned into a scam company? 

post #53 of 55

Hot Gear has gone through a lot of turmoil since its founder died about a year and a half ago. The company was left to languish by those that assumed control. Orders have gone unfilled to retailers.

 

It has since been purchased by a reputable individual with strong ties and history with the ski industry. While I can't speak to current orders, I expect that before long, Hot Gear will be a responsible member of the ski industry and shipping quality product.

 

That's all I can say. This is second hand info from someone in the know.

post #54 of 55

I spoke to the US distributor for Hot Gear Bags. He said that the owner has "disappeared" and screwed him out of nearly 2,000 bags. Apparently there will be a lot of orders this year and 0 deliveries. 

post #55 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanwetter View Post
 

I spoke to the US distributor for Hot Gear Bags. He said that the owner has "disappeared" and screwed him out of nearly 2,000 bags. Apparently there will be a lot of orders this year and 0 deliveries. 

 

Not the new owner I suspect. The latest change in ownership was recent. I don't know whether the old orders will be fulfilled or not, but the current owner is promising to get the company back on track.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion