Does anyone know of a good website/book that has good practice plans for a new race coach? Or your own ideas?
Related Forum Threads
- Angulation, My package never arrived. Last post on 5/27/14 at 7:31am in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- Like EpicSki on Facebook Last post on 10/16/11 at 12:39pm in Community Discussions & Forum News
- Total Skiing's approach to functional movement and ski fitness Last post on 11/30/12 at 4:23pm in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- Functional assessments for skiers Last post on 12/8/13 at 3:32pm in Ski Instruction & Coaching
Portillo: Open Your Mind to the Full Chilean Mountain Experience
Last edited: 5/4/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
race coach lesson palns?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Not race specific but I like Chris Fellows' book "Total Skiing" : http://www.amazon.com/Total-Skiing-Chris-Fellows/dp/0736083650
breaks down skiing into the components of functional movement, physical fitness, ski technique, and terrain specific tactics.
Lots of drills and exercises in the book for technique - balance, etc.
It also contains diagnostic tests to determine which areas need work, and then builds plans around the results.
The best thing a new race coach can do is get their athlete's attention. If they aren't interested in what you're teaching them - if they don't genuinely see that you can offer them something - it doesn't matter what you teach.
The USSA website is pretty good. Check out the skills quest.
Otherwise look on line. There are a million drills / videos etc.
As far as a typical day training...
Send kids an e-mail ahead of time or creat e aFB page for announcements. What skis GS? SL? Twin tips? Suits? Training shorts? Armor? Focus for the day. Post a link to pix or video of pros training (on snow and dryland). Weather conditions. Layering. etc. (I HATE when kids are underdressed.)
If possible have something set up when the lids get there. If terrain and space do not allow - then directed free skiing.
So...to warm up...
Unbuckle cuff - Buckle very loosely. (promotes ankle flexion.)
Hold poles parallel to slope
Hands on knees
One footed skiing (have kids start with TWO skis on) on VERY gentle terrain.
If you can set something:
Brushes and stubbies to start. Set a brush above the turn to round things out.
Hop drills with brushes and bamboos.
Vary rythym and turn shape.
Finally - courses. How are your setting skills?
Finally Finally - VIDEO. Nothing teaches like seeing yourself. Post on u tube or sprongo.
Finally finally finally- Keep it simple. Try not to overload the kids with too many things. Emphasize MASTERY not so much variety.
Hope this helps.
Your coaching association must have lots of materials on drills, training, mental, coaching, safety, ethics, equipement selection, boot fitting etc. The CSCF has tons, if you're in Canada...
Get as much training as possible for yourself. Up here we have to get PD credits every season (professional development) which are done with high level coaches and you always learn new stuff there... Or remember what you've forgotten.
If you're really into it, there are a lot of other books on training and coaching principles in general that can assist you in developing your plans, like "the talent code" etc. look them up.
Edited by razie - 12/31/12 at 6:39am
- race coach lesson palns?
- › NOAA Winter Outlook issued 14 minutes ago
- › Kids boot sizing 30 minutes ago
- › Whistler/Blackcomb 2017 Roll Call 41 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Boutique Vs Big Brands: Which do you prefer? 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 1 hour, 31 minutes ago
- › Recommendation allmountain skis [to replace Armada TST] 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › Big Sky 2016-2017 2 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › EpicSki is not down - Comcast major DNS outage 2 hours, 23 minutes ago
- › Rate my workout! 2 hours, 30 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer