Does anyone know of a good website/book that has good practice plans for a new race coach? Or your own ideas?
Related Forum Threads
- Angulation, My package never arrived. Last post on 5/27/14 at 7:31am in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- Like EpicSki on Facebook Last post on 10/16/11 at 12:39pm in Community Discussions & Forum News
- Total Skiing's approach to functional movement and ski fitness Last post on 11/30/12 at 4:23pm in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- Functional assessments for skiers Last post on 12/8/13 at 3:32pm in Ski Instruction & Coaching
Portillo: Open Your Mind to the Full Chilean Mountain Experience
Last edited: 5/4/13
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
race coach lesson palns?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Not race specific but I like Chris Fellows' book "Total Skiing" : http://www.amazon.com/Total-Skiing-Chris-Fellows/dp/0736083650
breaks down skiing into the components of functional movement, physical fitness, ski technique, and terrain specific tactics.
Lots of drills and exercises in the book for technique - balance, etc.
It also contains diagnostic tests to determine which areas need work, and then builds plans around the results.
The best thing a new race coach can do is get their athlete's attention. If they aren't interested in what you're teaching them - if they don't genuinely see that you can offer them something - it doesn't matter what you teach.
The USSA website is pretty good. Check out the skills quest.
Otherwise look on line. There are a million drills / videos etc.
As far as a typical day training...
Send kids an e-mail ahead of time or creat e aFB page for announcements. What skis GS? SL? Twin tips? Suits? Training shorts? Armor? Focus for the day. Post a link to pix or video of pros training (on snow and dryland). Weather conditions. Layering. etc. (I HATE when kids are underdressed.)
If possible have something set up when the lids get there. If terrain and space do not allow - then directed free skiing.
So...to warm up...
Unbuckle cuff - Buckle very loosely. (promotes ankle flexion.)
Hold poles parallel to slope
Hands on knees
One footed skiing (have kids start with TWO skis on) on VERY gentle terrain.
If you can set something:
Brushes and stubbies to start. Set a brush above the turn to round things out.
Hop drills with brushes and bamboos.
Vary rythym and turn shape.
Finally - courses. How are your setting skills?
Finally Finally - VIDEO. Nothing teaches like seeing yourself. Post on u tube or sprongo.
Finally finally finally- Keep it simple. Try not to overload the kids with too many things. Emphasize MASTERY not so much variety.
Hope this helps.
Your coaching association must have lots of materials on drills, training, mental, coaching, safety, ethics, equipement selection, boot fitting etc. The CSCF has tons, if you're in Canada...
Get as much training as possible for yourself. Up here we have to get PD credits every season (professional development) which are done with high level coaches and you always learn new stuff there... Or remember what you've forgotten.
If you're really into it, there are a lot of other books on training and coaching principles in general that can assist you in developing your plans, like "the talent code" etc. look them up.
Edited by razie - 12/31/12 at 6:39am
- race coach lesson palns?
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 5 minutes ago
- › I bought new skis and they feel soooo heavy! 7 minutes ago
- › NYC End of Season Social Gathering 13 minutes ago
- › Skier dies in accident at Hunter Mountain 24 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 25 minutes ago
- › Early 2018 Gathering Thread 27 minutes ago
- › How do I screw bindings on Stockli speedplates? 37 minutes ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 39 minutes ago
- › lessons around Tahoe... 42 minutes ago
- › Good enough goggles for less than $100???? 48 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview