EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › sun valley ski tools base and side bevel guides so confused!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

sun valley ski tools base and side bevel guides so confused!!!! - Page 2

post #31 of 53

I saw that the moonflex diamond stones come in 2 different sizes.  I think a 75mm and 100mm.  They are approx. 10 dollars difference in price.  Should I go with the larger size?  I'm guessing the larger size will last longer and might be easier to use. 

 

I'm just getting into doing my own tuning. I can purchase 3 smaller diamond stones for the price of 2 large ones. Does it make more sense to go with 3 grits of the smaller stones or 2 grits of the larger?

post #32 of 53

I have the 100 mm length and they are not very big. I have never used the little ones but I don't think I'd order them myself. I think the little size fits some specific tool. I have the 100, 200, 400 and 600 grits.

post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONedge View Post

I saw that the moonflex diamond stones come in 2 different sizes.  I think a 75mm and 100mm.  They are approx. 10 dollars difference in price.  Should I go with the larger size?  I'm guessing the larger size will last longer and might be easier to use. 

 

I'm just getting into doing my own tuning. I can purchase 3 smaller diamond stones for the price of 2 large ones. Does it make more sense to go with 3 grits of the smaller stones or 2 grits of the larger?

   Is there any way you can afford 3 of the 100mm's ? If not and you go with the 70mm's instead, I'd recommend red 200, yellow 400, and white 600. If you get just 2 of the 100mm's get the red &yellowwink.gif

 

   During use, lubricate with water, or even better SVST's secret sauce. I get the big bottle and make a 50/50 mix with water, as it is kinda spendy. Clean with a toothbrush, warm water, and a mild dishsoap (half a drop will do). Rinse--then dry...after each use. This will extend their life/effectiveness greatlyicon14.gif

   

 

   Moonflex stones are worth every penny.

 

     zenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsirin View Post

I have the 100 mm length and they are not very big. I have never used the little ones but I don't think I'd order them myself. I think the little size fits some specific tool. I have the 100, 200, 400 and 600 grits.

  Yep..it's the "travel" size. I have the blue 1600 as well. The moonflex stones are IMO (and MANY other's as well) are simply the best--cutting and polishing action is achieved....they last a long time as well.

 

 

   Happy New Year vsirin!

 

      zenny

post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentune View Post

   Is there any way you can afford 3 of the 100mm's ? If not and you go with the 70mm's instead, I'd recommend red 200, yellow 400, and white 600. If you get just 2 of the 100mm's get the red &yellow;) . 

   During use, lubricate with water, or even better SVST's secret sauce. I get the big bottle and make a 50/50 mix with water, as it is kinda spendy. Clean with a toothbrush, warm water, and a mild dishsoap (half a drop will do). Rinse--then dry...after each use. This will extend their life/effectiveness greatlyThumbs Up
   

   Moonflex stones are worth every penny.

     zenny
  Yep..it's the "travel" size. I have the blue 1600 as well. The moonflex stones are IMO (and MANY other's as well) are simply the best--cutting and polishing action is achieved....they last a long time as well.


   Happy New Year vsirin!

      zenny


Late to the party here and you have been getting great advice already. As zenny said if you only get 2 diamonds, red and yellow is fine. When I am lazy I will just use the red for a quick touch up/ sharpen. On my race skis I will use red and yellow and if it is a speed ski I will finish with a 1000. Works pretty well for me like that.

No need for secret sauce. Buy a quart of denatured alcohol and cut it 50/50 with water in a spray bottle and keep the diamond well wetted. I will probably spray it at least twice on each edge. In the absence of denature alcohol I have been known to use cheap vodka instead! smile.gif
post #35 of 53

roflmao.gificon14.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsSkier View Post


Late to the party here and you have been getting great advice already. As zenny said if you only get 2 diamonds, red and yellow is fine. When I am lazy I will just use the red for a quick touch up/ sharpen. On my race skis I will use red and yellow and if it is a speed ski I will finish with a 1000. Works pretty well for me like that.
No need for secret sauce. Buy a quart of denatured alcohol and cut it 50/50 with water in a spray bottle and keep the diamond well wetted. I will probably spray it at least twice on each edge. In the absence of denature alcohol I have been known to use cheap vodka instead! smile.gif
post #36 of 53

Thanks everyone for your advice.  You guys have been a big help!  I will be getting 3 of the larger diamonds.  200, 400, 600.

 

Do I need a gummi stone or Arkansas stone to go along with my diamonds?

post #37 of 53
might as well get both...great for removing hanging burrs left from filing. also get a dual sided pocket stone (svst, swix t240, ...) use this for removing hardened burrs from rocks n such;) helps "save" your moonflexes...

scotskier, do you take a "spritz" of that vodka as you tune? lol

zenny
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentune View Post

might as well get both...great for removing hanging burrs left from filing. also get a dual sided pocket stone (svst, swix t240, ...) use this for removing hardened burrs from rocks n such;) helps "save" your moonflexes...
scotskier, do you take a "spritz" of that vodka as you tune? lol
zenny

That's a great image (especially imagining some exotic Vodka). One spritz for the ski, one swallow for the skier.....moving along the edge now, and.....one for.....  biggrin.gif

post #39 of 53

Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONedge View Post

Thanks everyone for your advice.  You guys have been a big help!  I will be getting 3 of the larger diamonds.  200, 400, 600.

 

Do I need a gummi stone or Arkansas stone to go along with my diamonds?

post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

That's a great image (especially imagining some exotic Vodka). One spritz for the ski, one swallow for the skier.....moving along the edge now, and.....one for.....  biggrin.gif

Makes a good thought, watch the edges getting progressively worse smile.gif. Of course as a Scotsman it would be one for the ski, two for me!
post #41 of 53
Thread Starter 

Tuned the other ski today. Went smoothely!. It was actually pretty relaxing

post #42 of 53

That's why they call me...z e n t u n eroflmao.gifSeriously...for me it is very relaxing as well wink.gif...

 

 

   zenny


Edited by zentune - 12/27/12 at 6:07pm
post #43 of 53
Thread Starter 

Tomorrow I'll throw in a couple more wax cycles. Once I took the wax off I saw the knarly scar left from jagged NE rocks. One of those  funnels that ends in a mm of core.... No amount of PTet Ribbon or that metal bonding string repairs it cleanly. A  racer would have a heart attack looking at it.. So I resort to covering the structure with wax. rolleyes.gif

post #44 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplexed View Post

Tomorrow I'll throw in a couple more wax cycles. Once I took the wax off I saw the knarly scar left from jagged NE rocks. One of those  funnels that ends in a mm of core.... No amount of PTet Ribbon or that metal bonding string repairs it cleanly. A  racer would have a heart attack looking at it.. So I resort to covering the structure with wax. rolleyes.gif

 

i do that. Totally finish the ski then drip cold wax in the hole and level it out while it's still molten. It can last for a few days which is about when they get waxed again anyway

post #45 of 53

not sure what you guys mean, but because a core shot repair needs to protect the core from moisture, I'd be cautious taking a damaged ski out.

post #46 of 53
Thread Starter 

It's not really a core shot... It's very difficult to explain. The original was a core shit. At the base the gauge circumference was about the size of a dime. Then as it went deeper, the gauge become smaller and smaller, the exposed core being about the size of a hand written period ( . ) I was able to fill it, but it consistently comes off if i don't have wax over it and the scar is uggglllyyy. The core is always covered through.

 

And cold wax?? I was using Hertel, but hey why not get some, considering it's starting to freeze her in NE :D

post #47 of 53
Thread Starter 

I'm a little worried, though. yesterday was my first day out. I decided to use CW X stabilyx tights and socks for the first time ever. I made sure everything was in the right place, your knees being within the designated circle. Anyways I go out and notice some off feelings. Not pain... just a little funny. It was on my right knee area. Not the knee itself. Place your fingers on the patella of your right knee. Now go diagonally down and to the right about 3 inches until you hit a knob. That was the general area.. No problems with left knee. I'm on the same gear I was using last year. I was still able to rip, but It just felt off. Before skiing, I was fine, after skiing, no problems. Today I'm also fine. I stretch every day. I've come to the conclusion that it might be the CW X tights, or perhaps maybe my legs just need to remember skiing again after an off season break? I also do free weight slow squats for skiing. Any advice?? I'm just a little scared because I went through a nasty ITB injury and a fractured metatarsal. The last thing I need is yet another pain ):

post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplexed View Post

 or perhaps maybe my legs just need to remember skiing again after an off season break? I also do free weight slow squats for skiing. Any advice?? I'm just a little scared because I went through a nasty ITB injury and a fractured metatarsal. The last thing I need is yet another pain ):

 

Have an  instructor look at your form.     No joke - it's the first place to start with something like ^this^, you can then proceed to tweak boots or conditioning or upper body angulation, but you need to start with an on-slope evaluation first.

post #49 of 53
Thread Starter 

Okay. I'll keep that in mind for next week

post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplexed View Post

I've come to the conclusion that it might be the CW X tights, or perhaps maybe my legs just need to remember skiing again after an off season break? I also do free weight slow squats for skiing. Any advice?? I'm just a little scared because I went through a nasty ITB injury and a fractured metatarsal. The last thing I need is yet another pain ):

It isn't the CW X. I wear the CW X tights too - they are not so strong as to cause the symptoms you describe. Follow Cantunamunch's advice.

post #51 of 53
Thread Starter 

OK. I'll definitely get a lesson either next week or the week after. It's just a shame how my body seemed to fall out of technique even though I've been skiing for over 10 years.

post #52 of 53
Thread Starter 

cantun mentioned something about how changing footbeds helped. I'll replace my footbeds as well. If my feet grew over the summer I definitely see how the footbeds can really mess u up.

post #53 of 53
Thread Starter 

Hello everyone. Went skiing over the weekend. Before getting an instructor I tried to really concentrate on what I was doing. As the day went on the pain became more noticable. I finally figured out that it was just a baddd habbit. Instead of pushing and flexing forward, my right leg was leaning against the back of the boot, probably because it's my weaker leg , which probably caused a lot more loading and strain in the leg. After I tweaked my form the pain went away. I'll just need to remind myself to keep both shins against the cuff at all times.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › sun valley ski tools base and side bevel guides so confused!!!!