or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What's New In Ski Tech?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's New In Ski Tech?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Ok, so this long lost EpicSki Bear hasn't skied in 8 years.

 

Sad, yes. (In my defense, I was hyper-obsessive for the years before that, got more skiing in than most skiers do in a lifetime)

 

Any big changes in alpine ski/boot/binding technology.

 

Any big telemark changes?

 

I think this is the year I return to the mountains.

post #2 of 10
Rocker. Taper. Materials. Never been a better time to return.
post #3 of 10

Welcome back to the mountains.  Be careful when asking about new ski technology........it's a slippery slope biggrin.gif

 

If you were to come into our shop I'd ask you what your last ski/boot was and where you were planning on skiing. 

 

Then I'd make sure you're in good boots that fit your needs.  How are your old boots? What are your old boots? 

If its a groomer weekend you may want to demo a few front side skis.  If its a powder weekend, (like today) you may want to demo a fun shape ski and get your powder stoke. 

 

If you happen to head to Tahoe, you should check in with me and Phil.  We'd love to be your enablers. 

Welcome Back!

biggrin.gif

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

Ok, so this long lost EpicSki Bear hasn't skied in 8 years.

 

Sad, yes. (In my defense, I was hyper-obsessive for the years before that, got more skiing in than most skiers do in a lifetime)

 

Any big changes in alpine ski/boot/binding technology.

 

Any big telemark changes?

 

I think this is the year I return to the mountains.

Wow, welcome back. Changes, yeah...a few....lots of new colors and graphics wink.gif. Oh, and K2 is coming out with their own new boot. Tons of changes, where do you want to start? 

post #5 of 10

I have been absolutey amazed at how quick the ski industry is moving.  It has only been about 2-3 seasons since rocker (early rise tip and tail and other variations) became mainstream in skis.  The concept has already been tweaked almost to death.  For me the most curious new tech in skis is what Elan is doing with their Amphibio series where there are specific left and right skis with the inside edge cambered and the outside edge rockered.  Or is it the other way around?  Sometimes I get so confused.  I am hoping to get a demo on one sometime this season.

 

As for boots, other than Nordica's 3 buckle design boots pretty much look the same with the advancements done where you don't see such as natural flex, lateral stiffness and way better liners.  Insoles that come with most boots still suck and should replaced.  As always fit is way more important than anything else, so let your feet guide your purchase.

 

Welcome back and good luck,

 

Rick G

post #6 of 10

I'd like to see the Lib Tech NAS steak knife edges in person.  This sounds like a great innovation; I want to see how pronounced it is and whether it's a nightmare to tune.

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickg View Post

 

As for boots, other than Nordica's 3 buckle design boots pretty much look the same with the advancements done where you don't see such as natural flex, lateral stiffness and way better liners.  Insoles that come with most boots still suck and should replaced.  As always fit is way more important than anything else, so let your feet guide your purchase.

 

Welcome back and good luck,

 

Rick G

 

The whole "Custom Shell" thing from Salomon and Fischer has some possibilities too. wink.gif

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

 

The whole "Custom Shell" thing from Salomon and Fischer has some possibilities too. wink.gif

 

Oh yeah, I forgot about those, we don't sell them at the shop I work at so out of sight out of mind.  Lots of good press especially with the Fischers.  There is a huge thread around here about the Fischers being a "game changer".  Would love to give them a try as I am not an easy boot fit with my goofy shaped feet.

 

Rick

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDog View Post

I'd like to see the Lib Tech NAS steak knife edges in person.  This sounds like a great innovation; I want to see how pronounced it is and whether it's a nightmare to tune.

My gf has that on her (gasp) snowboard. Seems to be the real deal for boards at least. Haven't had to tune it or get it tuned yet, so we'll see. 

post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Very interesting, thanks everyone.

Sounds like I need to get to a ski shop!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What's New In Ski Tech?