EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › mittens recommendations?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

mittens recommendations?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Sorry if this thread sounds totally dorky, but my fingers often get really really cold so I'm thinking about switching to mittens.

 

I've tried three pairs that I liked: Swany Toaster, Spyder Fusion and Burton Gore-Tex. Anybody with experience with any of those?

 

The Spyders fit me best but they have separate, non-removable finger spaces inside -- would that defeat the purpose of getting mittens? I don't like the fit on the Swany and the Burton quite as much but they have removable liners, which I like since it could give me more flexibility in terms of having some protection while I fiddle with my camera, etc.

 

Also, only the Burton mittens have leashes to secure them on your wrist, which I love.

 

Feedback appreciated! 

post #2 of 20

I have the Hestra Heli mitts.  Very warm, and you can easily keep a chemical warmer on the back of your hand.  They have mitt leashes, too, as well as removable liners *and* they sell replacement liners online.

post #3 of 20

The mitten that gets the most favorable press around here, I think, is the Black Diamond Mercury.

post #4 of 20
teppaz,

I'm a mitten wearer for the cold days. Of all the threads I've read here, Hestra army mitts (not sure on the name but I have a pair) and black diamond's Mercury Mitts, always seem to get the best ratings. My daughter has the Mercury mitts, loves them until they get wet. I think BD is currently running a special until the end of the month or Xmas. Not sure which.

Mittens are warmer than gloves and in my opinion, segregating your fingers defeats the purpose. When you size your mittens, wear glove liners. Liners come in different weights just like mittens and gloves.

Even if the mittens come with a liner, you might want to add another or have a heavier/lighter one available. Also consider a liner that has a pocket for hand warmers. Buy the hand warmers at the big box discount stores - way cheaper that way.

Leather shell and Goretex are key ingredients for success.

Have fun and stay warm,

Ken
post #5 of 20

I suffered for a long time with cold hands, and am in love with my Outdoor Research Alti mitts. Make sure that whatever you get has the Gore-tex in the outside layers, with the insulating liner inside.

post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the tips! I'm glad to hear that the non-removably liners somewhat defeat the purpose -- confirms my hunch. Weirdly no store in NYC seems to carry Hestra mitts. I may take my chance when I go to Utah next week, or just start with the Burton Gore-Tex, which fit well, have a heatpack pouch, a leash, and removable liners (I have a pair of spare liners I could substitute as well).

 

It's just so rotten to have frozen digits make a ski day uncomfortable...

post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by teppaz View Post

Sorry if this thread sounds totally dorky, but my fingers often get really really cold so I'm thinking about switching to mittens.

 

I've tried three pairs that I liked: Swany Toaster, Spyder Fusion and Burton Gore-Tex. Anybody with experience with any of those?

 

The Spyders fit me best but they have separate, non-removable finger spaces inside -- would that defeat the purpose of getting mittens? I don't like the fit on the Swany and the Burton quite as much but they have removable liners, which I like since it could give me more flexibility in terms of having some protection while I fiddle with my camera, etc.

 

Also, only the Burton mittens have leashes to secure them on your wrist, which I love.

 

Feedback appreciated! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post

I have the Hestra Heli mitts.  Very warm, and you can easily keep a chemical warmer on the back of your hand.  They have mitt leashes, too, as well as removable liners *and* they sell replacement liners online.

 

Dorky?  Idiots wearing head bands in 10F weather are dorky.  Hestra makes great mittens and gloves. 

 

If you have poor circulation, consider using those Heat Treat Hand Warmers.  You can buy them by the boxload off season for at least 75% off.  Don't worry about the expiration date, they will work.  One of my kids has cold fingers, so I bought a very thin liner that acts as a buffer between his mitten and the hand warmers.  Problem solved.  I've been using hand warmers inside my hydration pack, zipped near where the insulated tube used to freeze.  Problem solved.

post #8 of 20

I've used the Hestra Army Leather Extreme mitt for a few years now, but I don't use the liners that came with the Hestra mitts.  I use several different liners with the Hestra outer mitt, ranging from a light wool glove on cold days (-5 to -10c) or a light wool mitt on moderately cold days (-10 to -20c) to a heavy boiled wool mitt liner on really cold days (- 20c and below).  My hands stay warm with this system, which is good because I get Raynaud's symptoms when my hands get cold.  I find that most man-made liners pack out where I hold my ski poles and develop cold spots.  A good wool liner, especially boiled wool, doesn't get thin from the pressure of holding a ski pole.

 

I also like the versatility of using an over-mitt with a different liners.  Easy to dry at the end of the day too.  Also, the wool gloves and mitts that I use for liners are good for backcountry travel as well - I often climb with just the liners.

post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 

I use warmers but they tend to be positioned near the back of the hand and the tips of my fingers get cold. I think mittens + warmers should do the trick.
 

post #10 of 20

Also, remember that the warmer your core, head and feet are, the warmer your hands will be.

post #11 of 20

Please try our SEARCH feature

post #12 of 20

as others have said, Hestra makes good stuff but expensive, my wife has the XCR mitt and no regrets. But the best mitt for the money is probably the Mercury from Black Diamond, you can get them easily for less than $100.

post #13 of 20

Mercury mitts are great, but beware of sizing. Mine are a few seasons old, so maybe it has changed, but they run big. I am always a ladies large, but my LG Mercuries are enormous. Definitely could have used a medium. Otherwise they are great.

post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

Mercury mitts are great, but beware of sizing. Mine are a few seasons old, so maybe it has changed, but they run big. I am always a ladies large, but my LG Mercuries are enormous. Definitely could have used a medium. Otherwise they are great.

 

I have the Black Diamond 2011 Mad Max Gloves.  I went verbatim by the sizing chart on their site following their instructions and they fit like a glove biggrin.gif.

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&AirC View Post

 

I have the Black Diamond 2011 Mad Max Gloves.  I went verbatim by the sizing chart on their site following their instructions and they fit like a glove biggrin.gif.

My BD gloves fit fine ... my son and I both have the Mercury mitts, and they are huge. (It's the width, mostly)  Sample size of two isn't large, true ... just advising to check.

post #16 of 20
Thread Starter 

I did try the Mercury mitts but I found them to be a little too wide. As for keeping the core warm, I totally agree with the idea but I don't have a problem with core -- just my extremities (toes, fingers).
 

post #17 of 20

Hestra claw mitts.  The warmth of mitts with all the mobility of gloves.  Wrist leashes.  Probably my favorite piece of gear at the moment. I don't know whether they are cool or not, but my 10 year old, who also has a pair, says that they are "beast."

post #18 of 20

If hands get cold often try some latex or plastic gloves in addition to your gloves.  It works.  Not too tight or sweat will defeat the purpose.

post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by teppaz View Post

I did try the Mercury mitts but I found them to be a little too wide. As for keeping the core warm, I totally agree with the idea but I don't have a problem with core -- just my extremities (toes, fingers).
 

 

Or it could be your core stays warm at the expense of your extremities wink.gif.  Not saying that is what is going on, but that is how the process works.

post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

My BD gloves fit fine ... my son and I both have the Mercury mitts, and they are huge. (It's the width, mostly)  Sample size of two isn't large, true ... just advising to check.

I just didn't want to waste an opportunity to make a pun biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › mittens recommendations?