EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Dynastar Legend 85 Too Advanced?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dynastar Legend 85 Too Advanced?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

I'm looking for a some advice on buying skis.  I've done a lot of reading on this site and took the advice of getting boots taken care of first.  I went to see Brent Amsbury at Park City Ski Boot and got boots and footbeds. 

 

I had planned on renting or demoing this season but with plans to ski approximately 15-20 days going the rent/demo route will cost me between $600 and $1000 so buying is looking more attractive.  I saw a couple of good deals on the 2012 Dynastar Legend 85 but was wondering if this ski is too advanced for me.

 

Here's a little more info:

 

Where in the world are you skiing? 

--Utah and maybe a couple of days in New Mexico

 

What kinds of terrain do you prefer

--Groomed runs

 

How many days a year do you ski?

--At least 15 but hopefully 20

 

How advanced are you as a skier?

-- Low intermediate.  Took a level 4 lesson at Alta last weekend.  Linking parallel turns on Alta's easier blues.  More lessons planned.

 

What's your height and weight?

-- 5'10", 165 lbs. 

 

Thanks.

post #2 of 19

It should suit you, and you shouldn't outgrow it soon either.

It really is worth getting your own skis for the convenience, regardless of the cost saving.

post #3 of 19

What length are you thinking of getting?  Since you are planning to take more lessons, seems like you will be fine with these skis.  Definitely beats using regular rentals if you don't want to wait and do a personal demo day to try out several options.

 

Did you get over to the Supreme lift yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Andrew View Post

 

How advanced are you as a skier?

-- Low intermediate.  Took a level 4 lesson at Alta last weekend.  Linking parallel turns on Alta's easier blues.  More lessons planned.

 

What's your height and weight?

-- 5'10", 165 lbs. 

 

Thanks.

post #4 of 19

That ski suits a wide range of skiers, and everyone seems to like it - great choice! The 165cm is good if you're planning to ski at a more modest pace with other skiers that are at your level or lower, but the 172cm would give you more room for growth and higher speed stability - especially useful if you're skiing with faster skiers.

post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post

What length are you thinking of getting?  Since you are planning to take more lessons, seems like you will be fine with these skis.  Definitely beats using regular rentals if you don't want to wait and do a personal demo day to try out several options.

 

Did you get over to the Supreme lift yet?

Thanks for the replies. 

 

I was thinking about the 165 but CHRISfromRI brings up a good point about the 172.  It may take a little getting use to (172) because the rental skis I've used were around 160.  I haven't been on Supreme.  The instructor for my lesson last weekend took us up Sugarloaf.  As I take more lessons I'm looking forward to exploring more of Alta. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

It should suit you, and you shouldn't outgrow it soon either.

It really is worth getting your own skis for the convenience, regardless of the cost saving.

I'm going to get them, just have to decide between 165 and 172.  Going straight from the car to the lift without a stop for skis will be nice. 

post #6 of 19

Go for the 172.  I remember taking out demo skis that were a little long when I was an intermediate.  I have a feeling you won't take long to adjust.  10cm isn't really that much.  172cm is about 5'7", so that's well below your forehead.

 

There is a nice selection of blue runs off Supreme.  Plus short blacks for when you are ready.  A great place when it's windy at the top of Sugarloaf.

 

Have fun!

post #7 of 19

172 would be a better choice in that ski for you, especially if you plan on taking lessons, so you won't be fighting the ski.

 

The usual advice for beginners and seldom ever skiers who rent is to go a little shorter to make it easier on 'em, so 165 might do for a little while, but it would soon be too short for you. 165 would be easier for a beginner who doesn't know what to do, to push around and fight against, but if you work with the sk,i 172 should not be a problem.

post #8 of 19

If the 172 feels a little long and "grabby," you might consider using a gummy stone to dull 6" of the tip and tail.  A few passes with the stone to take the sharp edge off and the difference will be substantial on hardpack and funky snow.  I found this helped a lot on my 178 Mythic riders which I think were pretty much the same ski.  I agree that 165cm seems quite short given that you are about the same size as me.

post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten80 View Post

If the 172 feels a little long and "grabby," you might consider using a gummy stone to dull 6" of the tip and tail.  A few passes with the stone to take the sharp edge off and the difference will be substantial on hardpack and funky snow.  I found this helped a lot on my 178 Mythic riders which I think were pretty much the same ski.  I agree that 165cm seems quite short given that you are about the same size as me.


If you think it's too grabby, just ski it for a day and get used to it.  With about a 17 m turn radius, the Legend 85 is not a "grabby" ski.   I recommend against detuning modern shaped skis.

post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post


If you think it's too grabby, just ski it for a day and get used to it.  With about a 17 m turn radius, the Legend 85 is not a "grabby" ski.   I recommend against detuning modern shaped skis.

 

I agree with Ghost that detuning (aka dulling) isn't needed on modern all-mountain skis, but I would recommend that you make sure the bottom edge bevel is set to 1 degree to keep them from feeling "grabby". Less bottom edge bevel can also feel "grabby" or "hooky". I recommend 2 degrees of side edge bevel for an all-mountain ski for good performance on ice - while you're getting those edge bevels set...

post #11 of 19

De-tuning a little worked great for me and my Mythic Riders, but I agree that proper edge bevel can make a ski that feels a little long feel a lot more manageable.  

post #12 of 19

I would recommend the 172 without the detuning.  I skied a 178 Mythic Rider for a season and really liked it.  I am 5'10" and was 160 lbs at the time.

post #13 of 19

The Legend 85 is a good choice - it's easy to ski and not too demanding. You can easily "smear" turns and they're happy at slower speeds while being very stable at higher speeds (I haven't found the upper speed limit yet),  Most importantly, you don't have to be right on top of them all the time.

 

In short, you'll be able to grow with this ski, but it's not so demanding that you'll find it to be a handful.

 

As others have said, get 'em in 172.  Since they have early rise in the tips, their effective length is a bit shorter than 172, so I wouldn't recommend going shorter.

 

As for edge bevel, the factory tune is 1 degree base and 2 degree edge, and I'd recommend just sticking with that and not detuning the tips and tails.

post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the all the great advice.  I got the 172s and am looking forward to using them during my lessons. 

post #15 of 19

Get someone to take a pic of you when you go and report back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Andrew View Post

Thanks for the all the great advice.  I got the 172s and am looking forward to using them during my lessons. 

post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Andrew View Post

Thanks for the all the great advice.  I got the 172s and am looking forward to using them during my lessons. 

 

Enjoy your new skis, and your lessons!

 

We had a half foot of fresh sticky snow last night into today. I played hookie and rocked the similar Dynastar Sultan 94 in 184cm (I'm 5' 10" and 170 lbs). They are a super fun ski and the length works for an advanced skier in soft snow! Edge bevels set to 1 and 2, and no detuning (dulling).

post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 

1000

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post

Get someone to take a pic of you when you go and report back!

Taken this weekend at Brighton.  I got the 172s and am really enjoying them.  I don't ski all that fast yet, but at the moderate speeds I do reach, these feel a lot more stable than the rental skis I've used.   

post #18 of 19

icon14.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Andrew View Post

1000

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post

Get someone to take a pic of you when you go and report back!

Taken this weekend at Brighton.  I got the 172s and am really enjoying them.  I don't ski all that fast yet, but at the moderate speeds I do reach, these feel a lot more stable than the rental skis I've used.   

post #19 of 19

get the 172....you will be happy you did..you are only going to get better and when you do you will want more stability and more ski...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Dynastar Legend 85 Too Advanced?