Planning a trip, usually do Vermont and looking for a good mountain with powder and a lot of intermediate trails with some blacks as well. Aspen seems to be the most expensive, but if its really worth it then so be it. Never boarded on powder before and actually thinking about taking up skiing. First question is what do you recommend as far as good powder in January or February? And what places do you highly recommend being that I never really travel to ski? Second question is, should I stick to what I know(snowboarding) or definitely try some skiing wherever I go? Thanks for the help!
Related Forum Threads
- SKI Magazine Resort Survey Results, 2012-2013 Last post on 3/2/13 at 1:25pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2014-2015 Utah Weather Discussion Last post on 8/16/15 at 2:50pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Utah where to ski next few days lift tickets, 3 weeks in Utah for family of 5 Last post on 12/20/13 at 10:09pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Solo Ski Trip!?!? Salt Lake city/Park City Last post on 2/3/14 at 10:36am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Does it make any sense for an intermediate New England groomer skier to venture somewhere out... Last post on 4/30/15 at 6:22am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- EpicSki Interview with James NiehuesLast edited: 9/14/16
- Park City, UT - A PictorialLast edited: 9/20/15
- Aspen Mountain, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 8/12/14
- Colorado Road Trip RecapLast edited: 8/29/15
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Aspen, Jackson Hole, Chamonix France, or Salt Lake City?post #1 of 812/14/12 at 6:46amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 812/14/12 at 7:39am
Where are you based?
If it is literally "powder" that you're interested in, I would say SLC or maybe Whistler.
Remember though, nothing is guaranteed when you book in advance.
A trip to Alta would work nicely with your skiing idea!post #3 of 812/14/12 at 10:17am
As an intermediate, you aren't going to get much powder. Powder tends to be quickly skied out, and intermediate runs are generally groomed. If you can't handle off-piste terrain, then you are going to be relegated to runs that see alot of traffic.
Soft snow, on the other hand, can be had at any of the places you indicated. But as an intermediate rider, you might want to think about the other attributes you'd like. Such as variety of terrain, nightlife, etc.
Rather than Alta, I'd suggest Park City, Aspen, or Whistler out of the choices listed.
Mikepost #4 of 812/14/12 at 10:24amQuote:
Probably not quite ready for Chamonix.post #5 of 812/14/12 at 11:17ampost #6 of 812/14/12 at 11:54am
Save JH and Chamomix for later. Go to SLC. Stay in the city somewhere cheap. Reserve a AWD SUV, switch to 2WD if not going to be driving in snow. Drive to Park City or Brighton or Snowbasin with your board. Park City and Brighton have night skiing if you have the energy for a long day. Or stay in Ogden and play at Snowbasin. Nice long blue runs there and the views are amazing in clear weather, plus a good ski school. In short, lots of options around SLC.
Stay away from Snowbird. Save Alta for a ski trip.post #7 of 812/17/12 at 6:25pmThread Starter
- Aspen, Jackson Hole, Chamonix France, or Salt Lake City?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › Quick Bonafide size question? 2 minutes ago
- › Question about shuttle bus from Banff to ski areas 11 minutes ago
- › Replacements for Nordica El Capo's 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Instructor recommendation for Stratton 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › need help finding a racesuit 1 hour, 36 minutes ago
- › North American snow watch 2016- snow reports needed! 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › FS - barely used Icelantic, Line, Elan, Salomon & Surface skis -... 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
- › East Coast: Snowshoe $99 Early Season Pass on Sale 1 hour, 51 minutes ago
- › Another What ski/size question, with a twist... 1 hour, 54 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 1 hour, 57 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer