EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 5 Point powder ski that can handle 250+
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

5 Point powder ski that can handle 250+

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hello epicski,

 

I've been reading a lot about different powder skis and been getting good info from posts on this site but i wanted to direct the questions a little more towards me.

 

First, i already have a good all-mountain mountain ski that i enjoy volkl mantra 184 2009 with at duke binding. Second I'm a big guy 6'2 250 fit. I need something that can handle me. Thirdly I'm looking for a ski that fits what i want- a ski that can float in the deep stuff, a ski that can turn in the tree's, a ski i can jump in, plus a ski that can rage down a bowl and handle the steep. (To much to ask?)

 

Any idea's come to mind? I know demoing skies is the way to go and i will. Last year i demoed the super 7 2012 when my skies were getting a tune up. I really like the camber, rocker and the 5 point design just a fun ski. Postive's- good float, great turns in powder, nimble in the tree's, could even make some good turns on the groomers. negatives- the chatter and stability at speed concerns me, turns on groomers seem to want to hold the line somewhat hard to get out of a turn at time.. Not a big deal since groomers are not where they are supposed to be.

 

The next ski i will demo will be atomics bent chetler. From what I'm reading it sounds like a perfect ski for what I'm looking for... Guess ill find out next month.

 

Any thoughts?

post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkierMDH View Post

Hello epicski,

 

 

 

Thirdly I'm looking for a ski that fits what i want- a ski that can float in the deep stuff, a ski that can turn in the tree's, a ski i can jump in, plus a ski that can rage down a bowl and handle the steep. (To much to ask?)

 


Any thoughts?

 

Yes..............

 

Naturally, I assume that you skied the Super in the 195. If not, you don't have an accurate starting point for your search.

 

You'll have to prioritze the float and the quickness in the trees (a typical 5 point can do this very well)..... VS .....Jumping and raging.....etc. (this speaks to a stiffer ski with less tail rise and not as much taper as a typical 5 point)

 

It is highly unlikely that you will find more stability in the Bent than in the Super 7. The Bent is a step above the standard S7 in stability but not really above the Super. The Rossi Squad 7, Nordica Helldorado, Blizzard Bodacious, and Atomic Automatic would likely be closer to fitting your goals than the Bent.

 

SJ

post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkierMDH View Post

Hello epicski,

 

I've been reading a lot about different powder skis and been getting good info from posts on this site but i wanted to direct the questions a little more towards me.

 

First, i already have a good all-mountain mountain ski that i enjoy volkl mantra 184 2009 with at duke binding. Second I'm a big guy 6'2 250 fit. I need something that can handle me. Thirdly I'm looking for a ski that fits what i want- a ski that can float in the deep stuff, a ski that can turn in the tree's, a ski i can jump in, plus a ski that can rage down a bowl and handle the steep. (To much to ask?)

 

Any idea's come to mind? I know demoing skies is the way to go and i will. Last year i demoed the super 7 2012 when my skies were getting a tune up. I really like the camber, rocker and the 5 point design just a fun ski. Postive's- good float, great turns in powder, nimble in the tree's, could even make some good turns on the groomers. negatives- the chatter and stability at speed concerns me, turns on groomers seem to want to hold the line somewhat hard to get out of a turn at time.. Not a big deal since groomers are not where they are supposed to be.

 

The next ski i will demo will be atomics bent chetler. From what I'm reading it sounds like a perfect ski for what I'm looking for... Guess ill find out next month.

 

Any thoughts?

From experience......it won't

 

See my review of the 191 Billygoat

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/115865/review-191-on3p-billygoat-12-13

 

there is also an earlier review in my signature

 

Here is another review thread from TGR

 

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/238566-Review-2012-2013-ON3P-191-Billygoat

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

 

Yes..............

 

 

It is highly unlikely that you will find more stability in the Bent than in the Super 7. The Bent is a step above the standard S7 in stability but not really above the Super. The Rossi Squad 7, Nordica Helldorado, Blizzard Bodacious, and Atomic Automatic would likely be closer to fitting your goals than the Bent.

 

SJ

You've got size and power to spare so shouldn't have a problem cranking the burlier guns SJ mentions. The Cochise is amazing and the Bodacious will charge with the best of them but turn on a dime.Definitely worth a try.

post #5 of 8

Praxis Protest in a med/stuff or stiff. EIther 187 or 196 depending on your style. I have mentioned before that one of my "kids" who weighed maybe 210+ and is very athletic has destroyed Bent Chetlers, Hell Bents, Rocker 2s and EP Pros over the past few years. Got on some med/stiff+ Protests half way through last year (after Rocker 2 decimation) and has been skiing them very happily since. Note, the first version of the Protest was one of the earliest 5 pointy skis. But unlike some of the others mentioned, it is not meant to be a super symmetrical ski. It'll ski switch - but it has a preferred direction. I just love that ski... Although I'm a Praxis fan, so take what I say with a tiny grain of salt. That said, there are a decent number of reviews (notably Blister) out there.

 

ON3Ps are generally burly stiff.

post #6 of 8

Cham 107 in a 190cm

and get a longer Mantra at 250lbs you have already flexed through the ski in that length...

post #7 of 8

6'2, 280 here.

 

Mantra 184 94mm: skied for 6 seasons=awesome, mine are beat

 

Cochise 185: demoed hardpack day at N*, solid, fun, not too flappy.

 

Helldorado 193: bomber, fun, tanker

 

Looking at, listed in Big Boy Skis.  Didn't include the Bent Chetlers but did throw in Automatic.

 

ON3P Billy Goat, Megawatt, and Bibby Pro are the ones I'm most interested in.

 

What is the prototypical or seminal 5 point ski?

post #8 of 8

My brother has got a pair of the BD Megawatts that he'd probably sell. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 5 Point powder ski that can handle 250+