EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Early scottish season December 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Early scottish season December 2012

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

well had three days so far... 

 

1 epic day at Cairngorm and two days at the Lecht... varying snow and over head conditions but been so much fun so far!!!

 

The three days are based on teaching 2 Aussies who had not touched snow till a month ago... they did so well and very impressed...

 

Here is the compilation video so far... hopefully snow stays and can get a few more days before new years trip to Tignes, France.

 

post #2 of 17

Thanks for the TR and video. It looks like everyone had fun and your 2 beginners are coming along. How is the skiing at Cairngorm for more advanced skiers? My daughter drove through that area this summer and said it was very pretty and interesting.

post #3 of 17

Thanks for the TR.  I was at Cairngorn about three years ago in the summer while hiking around Scotland.  Looked like it could be pretty cool skiing.  Nice to see the video with snow!  Love Scotland.  We stayed at Aberfeldy and road-tripped around hiking some of the Munros.  Good fun!

post #4 of 17

Fun stuff. Skiing in its primal form! I love it.

post #5 of 17

thanks Scotty.  great to see so much snow on Cairngorm in December!  my home mountain for the first 20 years of my ski life till i defected to the 'Coe after a run of bad seasons

 

 almost makes me homesick - till i look out the window here in Tahoe...smile.gif

post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsirin View Post

Thanks for the TR and video. It looks like everyone had fun and your 2 beginners are coming along. How is the skiing at Cairngorm for more advanced skiers? My daughter drove through that area this summer and said it was very pretty and interesting.

There are some decently steep runs.  All of the runs off West Wall Poma are pretty good.  White Lady and M1 are pretty good too.  See pics below.  I only skied there on one trip but it was a blast.  It's a very unique experience.

 

1000

 

1000

1000

post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsirin View Post

Thanks for the TR and video. It looks like everyone had fun and your 2 beginners are coming along. How is the skiing at Cairngorm for more advanced skiers? My daughter drove through that area this summer and said it was very pretty and interesting.

 

Yep.... they were pretty impressive - just hope they continue to ski in the future...

 

There is some good terrain - especially when west wall is open... obviously nothing compared to other areas in the world...

 

When there is lots of snow i go to Cairngorm as its worth the 2 hour drive... if not i go to lecht, one hour drive and free skiing!!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post

Thanks for the TR.  I was at Cairngorn about three years ago in the summer while hiking around Scotland.  Looked like it could be pretty cool skiing.  Nice to see the video with snow!  Love Scotland.  We stayed at Aberfeldy and road-tripped around hiking some of the Munros.  Good fun!

 

seems a good trip...  its beautiful up there... Aviemore reminds me of Banff Canada... 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsracer View Post

Fun stuff. Skiing in its primal form! I love it.

 

haha... 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsSkier View Post

thanks Scotty.  great to see so much snow on Cairngorm in December!  my home mountain for the first 20 years of my ski life till i defected to the 'Coe after a run of bad seasons

 

 almost makes me homesick - till i look out the window here in Tahoe...smile.gif

 

How did you end up over there???

 

Never been to Glen coe or Nevis - not worth the drive...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvg View Post

There are some decently steep runs.  All of the runs off West Wall Poma are pretty good.  White Lady and M1 are pretty good too.  See pics below.  I only skied there on one trip but it was a blast.  It's a very unique experience.

 

1000

 

1000

1000

 

snow was better last week there... warm here next few days so snow better stay!!!

post #8 of 17

Thanks for the vid!  Looks like your friends had a great time, falls and all.
 

post #9 of 17
Funny, I rode the chair at Breck Tuesday with some Scotlanders who said the snow had begun falling back home just as they boarded the plane to come ski on a bunch of really hard man-made snow.
post #10 of 17

Outstanding thread.

 

Well done!

post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrstrat57 View Post

Outstanding thread.

 

Well done!

 

thanks...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post

Funny, I rode the chair at Breck Tuesday with some Scotlanders who said the snow had begun falling back home just as they boarded the plane to come ski on a bunch of really hard man-made snow.

 

yep they are digging things ut after yesterdays storm here... roads were too iffy for me to drive up to be worth it... hopefully get some good snow tomorrow...

 

breck is sunnier though for the dew tour!!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post

Thanks for the vid!  Looks like your friends had a great time, falls and all.
 

 

Yep they loved it... shame they will be leaving this time next week - so hope they continue to ski in the future - be it in Australia or where ever... 

post #12 of 17
Interesting stuff. Scottland? Cool!
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post

Interesting stuff. Scottland? Cool!

yep... certainly interesting conditions...

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 

well another good day today... above freezing and some good cruisy snow... 

 

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

post #15 of 17

Great to hear Scotty and good to see you having fun. Scotland has a unique atmosphere and when conditions are good some really good skiing. I've had some of my happiest ski days there. I've also had some of the coldest and windiest. Always remember being with my son and deciding to head back to the top about 100 metres down a piste that we could see was looking bare below. We turned around, put our arms out and were blown back up the hill in no time. Now you don't get that too often!

post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adie View Post

Great to hear Scotty and good to see you having fun. Scotland has a unique atmosphere and when conditions are good some really good skiing. I've had some of my happiest ski days there. I've also had some of the coldest and windiest. Always remember being with my son and deciding to head back to the top about 100 metres down a piste that we could see was looking bare below. We turned around, put our arms out and were blown back up the hill in no time. Now you don't get that too often!

 

yes last sunday was 50mph winds and 0 degrees celcius and that was cold... 

 

scotland does some decent skiing but looking forward to Tignes and SLC!!!

post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 

well made another video of a day up at the lecht yesterday...

 

was a lovely day - just above freezing and no wind... was up with some friends... forecast is warm for the next few days... but still hoping i can get a days skiing before i head to Tignes on the 29th December...  busy week ahead leading up to Christmas!!!

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Early scottish season December 2012