EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Best current conditions in SLC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best current conditions in SLC? - Page 2

post #31 of 55

Had a friend come over from Snowbird and ski Solitude with us today.  He was surprised how much better the snow coverage and quality was here. Alta is supposed to have some good snow, but people are saying the High Traverse is a major rock festival.  Skied soft snow all day and untracked without having to look too hard at Soli. Tons of untracked in Honeycomb.  They only have it open from the Summit Gates (both sides), but they opened the Honeycomb Return Lift today. Literally walked on every lift on the mountain.  Chairs are not more than 15% full.  The few inches of new this week and the windblow have kept things soft everywhere.  Prediction is for 5"-9" tonight, 4"-7" tomorrow and then another big wave coming in Sunday night through Wednesday.  Still can hit stuff but it's not too hard to avoid it, although with the new snow coming it is going to get interesting.  Skied some new skis on the groomers a little, but conditions don't warrant bringing out the good fatties yet for all mountain ripping.

 

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/snow/mtnwx/mtnForecast.php

 

Fond that some of the independents like Canyon Vacation Rentals can have better deals than the Inn at Solitude, which jacks up prices and then claims big "discounts," but prices everywhere at Solitude are not  bad compared to Alta and Snowbird, wherever you can find accommodations.  Wish we could stay through Christmas because the storms seem to be ramping up.

 

Anidfan, your timing looks to be impeccable!

post #32 of 55
WASATCH MOUNTAINS I-80 NORTH-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WOODRUFF...RANDOLPH
414 AM MST SAT DEC 15 2012

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH
MONDAY AFTERNOON...

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH
MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* AFFECTED AREA: THE WASATCH MOUNTAINS NORTH OF INTERSTATE 80.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR 1 TO 2 FEET OF
  SNOWFALL.

* TIMING: SUNDAY AND MONDAY.

* IMPACTS: WINTER DRIVING CONDITIONS WILL LIKELY DEVELOP IN THE
  HIGHER TERRAIN OF NORTHERN UTAH.

 

snowfalling.gif

 

biggrin.gif

JF

post #33 of 55

Bring it!!!

post #34 of 55
Thread Starter 
Reporting live from the Sunshine Grill at the base of the Powderhorn lift at Solitude:

What

A

Day

!
post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by aindfan View Post

Reporting live from the Sunshine Grill at the base of the Powderhorn lift at Solitude:
What
A
Day
!

 

It was pretty nice today, a little more terrain opened up as well.  It's still snowing at my house in West Jordan, tomorrow should be good too!

post #36 of 55

& now they are saying that Tuesday will be the most potent storm of 3!

biggrin.gif

JF

post #37 of 55
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM
MST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SALT LAKE CITY HAS ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM
MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM MST WEDNESDAY.

* AFFECTED AREA: THE WASATCH MOUNTAIN VALLEYS.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATION OF 12 TO 20 INCHES
  IS EXPECTED. THE HIGHER TOTALS ARE EXPECTED IN THE VALLEYS NORTH
  OF I-80...ESPECIALLY IN THE OGDEN VALLEY.

* TIMING: SNOW WILL PICK UP LATE TONIGHT AND WILL CONTINUE AT
  TIMES RIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT...ALTHOUGH THERE WILL BE SOME
  BREAKS IN THE SNOWFALL. THE TIMES OF HEAVIEST SNOWFALL FOR THE
  AREAS NORTH OF I-80 SHOULD OCCUR EARLY SUNDAY...SUNDAY NIGHT
  INTO EARLY MONDAY...AND MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.
  THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL FOR THE AREAS SOUTH OF I-80 IS EXPECTED
  MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS: WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS WILL MAKE TRAVEL DIFFICULT
  THROUGH THE MOUNTAIN VALLEYS AT TIMES TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY
  MORNING. THIS INCLUDES I-84...I-80 AND US-40.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW ARE
EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. DRIVING CONDITIONS MAY BE HAZARDOUS. USE
CAUTION. KEEP A WINTER STORM SURVIVAL KIT IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE
OF AN EMERGENCY.
post #38 of 55

Incoming!!!

 

Cottonwood Canyons Forecast

 

This forecast, issued at: 12-15-2012 15:27:01 is for use in snow safety activities and emergency management.

 

...Winter Storm Warning in effect from midnight tonight through 9am Wednesday...

 

Storm Details

Storm Duration

Total Storm Snow

Total Storm Water

 

Begin - 2012-12-15 23:00 MST

End - 2012-12-19 09:00 MST

30-45"

2.0-3.2"

post #39 of 55

7-DAY FORECAST

  • Tonight Snow. Low around 15. Southwest wind 6 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
  • Sunday Snow. High near 23. West southwest wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 16 to 21 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
  • Sunday Night Snow. Temperature rising to around 25 by 4am. South southwest wind 17 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
  • Monday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 31. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 21 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
  • Monday Night Snow. Low around 12. West southwest wind around 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 16 inches possible.
  • Tuesday Snow. High near 20. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.
  • Tuesday Night Snow. Low around 1. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
post #40 of 55

This storm forecast just keeps getting better for the Wasatch, especially the areas favored by Southwest flow!!!

When I pulled the same forecast for Snowbasin (8600' elevation), the "potential" storm totals from Saturday night through Tuesday night were 60" - 92".

 

  • Tonight Snow, mainly after 11pm. Low around 16. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
  • Sunday Snow. High near 17. West southwest wind 10 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 16 to 22 inches possible.
  • Sunday Night Snow. Temperature rising to around 20 by 8pm. South southwest wind 14 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.
  • Monday Snow. High near 25. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 17 to 22 mph increasing to 23 to 28 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.
  • Monday Night Snow. Low around 12. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 20 to 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.
  • Tuesday Snow, mainly before 11am. High near 12. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.
  • Tuesday Night Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 0. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

 

Looks like we may just have a white Christmas after all.

post #41 of 55

Wow! What a week this would be. Envious of those who are there. 

post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedToSki View Post

This storm forecast just keeps getting better for the Wasatch, especially the areas favored by Southwest flow!!!

When I pulled the same forecast for Snowbasin (8600' elevation), the "potential" storm totals from Saturday night through Tuesday night were 60" - 92".

 

  • Tonight Snow, mainly after 11pm. Low around 16. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
  • Sunday Snow. High near 17. West southwest wind 10 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 16 to 22 inches possible.
  • Sunday Night Snow. Temperature rising to around 20 by 8pm. South southwest wind 14 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.
  • Monday Snow. High near 25. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 17 to 22 mph increasing to 23 to 28 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.
  • Monday Night Snow. Low around 12. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 20 to 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.
  • Tuesday Snow, mainly before 11am. High near 12. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.
  • Tuesday Night Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 0. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

 

Then it should be good. 

post #43 of 55
Now the forecast is up to 35-50" thru 12/19 in the Cottonwood Canyons!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfoot View Post

Incoming!!!

Cottonwood Canyons Forecast

This forecast, issued at: 12-15-2012 15:27:01 is for use in snow safety activities and emergency management.

...Winter Storm Warning in effect from midnight tonight through 9am Wednesday...


 
Storm Details
Storm Duration
Total Storm Snow
Total Storm Water
Begin - 2012-12-15 23:00 MST


End - 2012-12-19 09:00 MST
30-45"
2.0-3.2"
post #44 of 55

i'm heading out in lest than 3 weeks. 

can't wait! 

now if I could get some snow around here to XC on and get the legs going that would be great. 


Edited by SnowbirdDevotee - 12/18/12 at 3:38pm
post #45 of 55

The Cottonwood Canyons report was updated this morning, they are now predicting 35"-50" by Weddnesday!!!

post #46 of 55

Storm fizzled a bit.  6" - 12"  Total Storm water .5" -.8" 

post #47 of 55

Well today, there was only a foot or so, on some of the ridges and bowls it was bottomless due to blow in. High winds from the front moving in blowing snow into every chute and gully. On the exposed faces, wind compacted creamy hero snow. Visibility, well, who needs visibility. Not for the Deer Valley crowd, Did I say crowd?

 

 

 

 

1000

 

 

 

 

 

 

1000

 

Phone shots, but you get the idea. It's snowing in Park City now. Tomorrow should be good.

post #48 of 55

Mr. Crab, that looks like FUN!.

post #49 of 55

  Twelve locals, four tourists, and the ski instructors were just let loose on the mountain. Couldn't eat it all. Oh well, the holidays approach. Coverage good though, for December.
 

post #50 of 55

Is it really that empty right now?  Ugh, I'm so jealous.

post #51 of 55

So very glad to read that the snow has finally come to Utah. It was looking a tad grim, but the snow has found it. Excellent.  Hope it keeps going through January, builds a nice soft/deep base ready for me in late January!  I don't envisage crowds then either... prices seem quite high this year for things.

post #52 of 55

Hi Ant! Here's more from the PCMR website. This will hold true of all three PC resorts and more for the Cottonwoods.

post #53 of 55

Excellent, that is so good to see. Heh, I wonder how many bumps are under that new snow on Newport?!  Reckon late January onward will be no gamble at all. 

post #54 of 55

Another good site to follow.  http://wasatchsnowforecast.com/

post #55 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketmartin View Post

Another good site to follow.  http://wasatchsnowforecast.com/

I like this site too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Best current conditions in SLC?