EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Demos to ski at Mammoth, CA?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Demos to ski at Mammoth, CA?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I'd like some recos specifically for Mammoth as that seems to be the only place we visit. We live in So. Cal. but never go to Wrightwood or Big Bear. Anyway, I'm 52, 6-1, 175#, very athletic (mtb and road bike race, trail run). I hadn't skied in 10 yrs until starting again last year, will prob do only 8-10 days. Even though I was off the slopes, I would still consider myself advanced in skill and aggressive in style. I ski mostly mid-mountain and go up to the top now and then. It seems no matter what part of MM one is at, you're going to have to ski some crud and some packed or fresh pow there--I'm looking for a ski that's good in that stuff. That said, I'm not a groomer kind of guy--if on one, I'll look for the cut-up stuff/bumps or loose stuff on the sides. I'm not specifically a bump skier.

 

Last year, I skied a Fischer Watea 84 in 167 length. The ski was fun but way short for me after a new storm refreshed the slush we had been skiing. I was so out of touch with ski lengths I didn't question the rental person. I think I should have been on at least a 176, 177. An 84 waist is pretty narrow for Mammoth outside of the groomers, isn't it? I'm planning to try the Watea 88 and/or a Watea 96 or a Rossignol E88 and/or E98. That sound good? Any other ideas? Thanks!

post #2 of 10

Just got back from Mammoth and the conditions have really improved. I would recommend demoing out of the Main Lodge. You can switch skis during the day if you don't like what they gave you or you want to try something different. Tell them your an experienced skier and you want an all mountain ski with a waist around 88 to 98 and they will take care of you. Don't rule out the Blizzard skis.

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

Does Canyon Lodge do that too? Either way, sounds better than say a demo from Foot Loose as you get one pair/day unless you drive back.

post #4 of 10

I believe Canyon has the same program with the same variety of skis, just haven't been over there in a while, I always ski out of Main Lodge or chair 2.

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whoSki View Post

Does Canyon Lodge do that too? Either way, sounds better than say a demo from Foot Loose as you get one pair/day unless you drive back.
Canyon Lodge has the same policy as well as the rentals in the village. I'm pretty certain that you can swap out skis at any location. Also, I would definitely look for a ski in the 90-100 waist. I use a 98mm Volkl Mantra as my go to ski there as well as a Rossi E98. If there is fresh pow, I'll go with a wider ski.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc7 View Post


Canyon Lodge has the same policy as well as the rentals in the village. I'm pretty certain that you can swap out skis at any location. Also, I would definitely look for a ski in the 90-100 waist. I use a 98mm Volkl Mantra as my go to ski there as well as a Rossi E98. If there is fresh pow, I'll go with a wider ski.

Either lodge, I go to main lodge.    Tons of variety to demo all day long.    while you are demoing warm up on a pair of RTM 84's, (I use them all over the mtn, unless it dumps).  Then try everything else, Salomons, rossis, Volkl, blizards,     they have a pretty good selection... 

post #7 of 10

Yes, you can demo out of either AND drop them off at either. I demo'd out of Canyon last year, skied over to Main, took out some Blizzard Black Pearls at Main, skied them all day then skied back to Canyon, and bought them at Canyon. They had to do some shuffling over the phone for me to actually buy them since I checked them out of Main, but it wasn't a problem.

 

Better inventory at Main, but a few different options at Canyon. Do NOT rule out Blizzard skis for sure. Mine had never been skied before and the guys over there were happy to see them finally go out. biggrin.gif 

post #8 of 10

Do they only carry the "major" brand of skis or do they have DPS, Moment, or 4frnt as well? Im lookin to demo the Wailer, Hoji, and Bibby pro if I can find them and if the conditions warrant it. If they only carry the larger companies, maybe the Katana and Automatic? Would I need Footloose?

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen View Post

Do they only carry the "major" brand of skis or do they have DPS, Moment, or 4frnt as well? Im lookin to demo the Wailer, Hoji, and Bibby pro if I can find them and if the conditions warrant it. If they only carry the larger companies, maybe the Katana and Automatic? Would I need Footloose?

you need to call around. 

post #10 of 10

Yes, you'd have to call.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Demos to ski at Mammoth, CA?