Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAlpine Meadowstagged by System, 12/28/12
- itemAlpine Meadows Ski Resorttagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemAltatagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemArapahoe Basintagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemBig Skytagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemBrightontagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemCanyons Resorttagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemDeer Valley Resorttagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemJackson Holetagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemPark City Mountain Resorttagged by System, 12/5/12More
- itemSilverton Mountaintagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemSnowbirdtagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemSolitude Mountain Resorttagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemSquaw Valley USAtagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemTelluride Ski & Golf Resorttagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemVail Resorttagged by System, 12/5/12
- itemWolf Creek Ski Areatagged by System, 12/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- Outside Magazine’s 2012 Ski Resort Rankings Last post on 11/7/12 at 7:44am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- SKI Magazine Resort Survey Results, 2012-2013 Last post on 3/2/13 at 1:25pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Does it make any sense for an intermediate New England groomer skier to venture somewhere out... Last post on 4/30/15 at 6:22am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Ski Utah to announce plan for 7 resort interconnect Last post on 9/18/14 at 5:52pm in Skiing News
- Utah where to ski next few days lift tickets, 3 weeks in Utah for family of 5 Last post on 12/20/13 at 10:09pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A PictorialLast edited: 9/21/13
- EpicSki Interview with James NiehuesLast edited: 9/14/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
- Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...Last edited: 1/8/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Forbes top ten US ski resorts 2013post #1 of 15012/4/12 at 8:34pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 15012/5/12 at 6:34ampost #3 of 15012/5/12 at 6:40ampost #4 of 15012/5/12 at 7:01am
Agree it is well argued. I'd bump Vail down a few notches..but most of the top 5 is solid. If it was all of North America...you'd have to stick Whistler in there...but..overall, the top 10 here is about what I'd rank. Also agree that Jackson is the top dog...that place is special.post #5 of 15012/5/12 at 7:06am
I've seen these same places on lists forever and it would be fun to see something different. I would like to see a top 10 (or 20, or 50) list of ski areas, leaving out destination resorts. Has anyone developed such a list?post #6 of 15012/5/12 at 7:15ampost #7 of 15012/5/12 at 7:23ampost #8 of 15012/5/12 at 7:25ampost #9 of 15012/5/12 at 7:37amThread Starterpost #10 of 15012/5/12 at 7:57am
I loved their approach to the whole article, cutting out the extraneous crap that may contribute to a vacation but not the SKIING itself. Well done there.
I'd love to see a Top 10 Canadian list, or maybe Top 10 North American. There is "awesomeness" outside the US boundaries. Nonetheless, really quite a great job by Forbes.post #11 of 15012/5/12 at 8:02am
Not worried about that. We're too hard to get to, there's no lodging anywhere very near, and the weather is too unpredictable to make long range plans. I just hear about lots of small places here on Epic that sound interesting and I thought it would be fun to see some rating of those places.post #12 of 15012/5/12 at 8:22amThread StarterQuote:
Let's do it!post #13 of 15012/5/12 at 9:16ampost #14 of 15012/5/12 at 9:25amQuote:Quote:
W/B isn't in the United States. I am surprised that some of those came in over Aspen, though.post #15 of 15012/5/12 at 9:28am
Generally, I think this is one of the best of the ubiquitous obligatory rankings.
I am puzzled, however, by their seemingly arbitrary decision to group some resorts together, but keep others separate.post #16 of 15012/5/12 at 9:29am
Hard to believe Aspen isnt on the list since you have 4 mountains there.
I have always wanted to go on a Southern Colorade road trip. You could go to Wolf
Creek, Silverton, Telluride, and Crested Butte in one trip.post #17 of 15012/5/12 at 9:52amQuote:
When doing that southern trip, might as well spend a day or two at Taos.post #18 of 15012/5/12 at 10:00ampost #19 of 15012/5/12 at 10:03ampost #20 of 15012/5/12 at 12:17pmQuote:
I'm not sure that I've ever seen one that's specifically "Top Ski Areas (not resorts)". Usually it's "best resorts you've never heard of" or some such designation, which may include some ski areas but also includes some resorts. I've put together a few like that myself, but they tend to include at least a couple destination resorts. I think you have a good idea for a list. By framing it as no destination resorts, you could get rid of the "What about Whistler, bro" questions right out the gate and focus comfortably on small areas.
To be fair, though, one or two of those lists and those names will grow tired, too. There's a new ski season every year, but the ski areas and resorts tend to stay the same from one year to the next. Only so many different ways to repackage them into the obligatory annual best-of lists.post #21 of 15012/5/12 at 12:27pm
Here's a couple of older lists I found that are similar to, if not exactly, what you're talking about:post #22 of 15012/5/12 at 1:49pm
This has been a fun topic for a very long time among skiers. These bad pics come from a book of mine with a copyright of 1967 by a couple of guys who knew what they were talking about. They were smart enough to not rank them. It is not surprising that some of the same places still make the list. They took it a step farther and took it down to runs. A Basin, Poli of course.post #23 of 15012/5/12 at 2:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by Stranger
This has been a fun topic for a very long time among skiers. These bad pics come from a book of mine with a copyright of 1967 by a couple of guys who knew what they were talking about. They were smart enough to not rank them. It is not surprising that some of the same places still make the list. They took it a step farther and took it down to runs. A Basin, Poli of course.
This is classic - love it.
BTW - what ever happened to Gad Valley, UT (pg 124) and Peruvian Gulch, UT (pg 134)??? Oh yeah - Snowbird.post #24 of 1501/9/13 at 12:12amQuote:
I would choose a week at Taos over all of thosepost #25 of 1501/9/13 at 5:43amQuote:
Leaving off W/B...absofreakinglutely...every time, no question....of course I might sneak over the ridgeline to LCCpost #26 of 1501/13/13 at 8:28am
It was touched on by an earlier post -- I don't get the Park City entry. For its placement, they are combining the best of 3 ski resorts that require 3 different lift tickets and can only be skied "together" by traveling to each by car? Seems like a slippery slope of relaxed standards that will soon involve calling Summit County one ski resort. It does a disservice to top-ten candidates that offer top-ten skiing on a normal single-day's destination (which Alta/Snowbird can qualify for with their interconnected trails), and it does a disservice to readers working out a bucket list for the notches on their quiver. Enter your own example here, but how would the awesomeness of Park City by itself, or The Canyons by itself, or Deer Valley by itself, compare with the skiing at Snowbasin?
Edited by kitchener - 1/13/13 at 9:56ampost #27 of 1501/17/13 at 6:10am
You could easily do the morning at one and the afternoon at another and travel by free bus, it takes 10 -15mins from one to the other in PC. But that would still require 2 different lift tickets. I too was puzzled by that though.post #28 of 1501/17/13 at 11:42am
I have visited 50 plus ski resorts in my 30 years skiing. The Forbes list is a very good one. I have been to all on the list. Whistler should be #1 on any list.
A ski friend of ours recently visited a large European resort. I don't know the name of it right now. She said the resort was so large that it made Vail look like a pimple. She formerly was a ski instructor at Vail.
Guess I need to add Europe to the list.
post #29 of 1501/17/13 at 1:48pm
Not the worst list I've seen, but in the context Park City and Wolf Creek seem out of place. If they're looking for a somewhat mellower area that gets a ton of snow, why not Targhee instead of Wolf Creek? More snow and at least 50% bigger, and probably about the same level of competition.post #30 of 15011/22/13 at 12:56pm
Above is the new list for 2014. I mention this because Christopher Steiner called me in September and requested my snow data to refine his exercise. We had extensive e-mail correspondence about the components of his PAF formula.
He now emphasizes snow more in the new ratings, so Park City, Big Sky and A-Basin fell off and Telluride dropped from #3 to #9 while Mammoth and Solitude were added. He also saw the logic of my Targhee vs. Wolf Creek comparison. This is not my list but IMHO it's now much more internally consistent with his stated criteria.
I saw the recent thread about Top 5 family resorts and e-mailed some comments.
- Forbes top ten US ski resorts 2013
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A Pictorial
- › FS - barely used Icelantic, Line, Elan, Salomon & Surface skis -... 6 minutes ago
- › Dreamin' about ski season 7 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 7 minutes ago
- › Cons and Pros. Atomic Vantage cti 90 vs Nordica Enforcer 93 14 minutes ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 28 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Northern Michigan Ski Weather Forcast 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › North American snow watch 2016- snow reports needed! 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Steelers Baby! 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 1 hour, 34 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 1 hour, 51 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer