or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Doug Coombs Foundation

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

Doug's widow Emily has set up a foundation to help kids from low-income families learn to ski.

 

http://www.facebook.com/DougCoombsFoundation

 

 

 

It's a great cause that fits perfectly with Doug's well-known passion for skiing - all the way from when he was a little bitty kid.

 

Likes are nice.  icon14.gif


Edited by Bob Peters - 12/3/12 at 8:10pm
post #2 of 21

Damn good idea!

post #3 of 21

Yes. Super idea. 

post #4 of 21

1000

 

I liked this so much that I took a picture of the TV the other night while watching "STEEP" on ESPN Classic. There's a big piece on Doug & Emily. If you haven't seen STEEP, I highly recommend it.

post #5 of 21

I'm not surprised, coming from the passion that Doug and Emily share(d) for the sport. 

post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 

A classic Doug poster I get to look at almost every day:

 

1000

 

For those of you who don't know, the photo for this poster was taken while Doug was a stunt double on "Aspen Extreme". 

 

I know people who were present at this film and photo shoot when Doug skied this frozen waterfall and even rock-star-level skiers were in awe that he could/would do this.

post #7 of 21

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!smile.gificon14.gif

post #8 of 21

Liked and thanks for bringing this back David Coombs.

post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David coombs View Post

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!smile.gificon14.gif

 

Hi, David.

 

If you're the "real" David, I sure hope you'll continue to post here at EpicSki.  You're definitely a little ripper and it would be fun to hear your thoughts about skiing as you grow up.

post #10 of 21

Doug was an idol for many of us! And many of us grew up skiing the hills with old gear from the swap shops. Now totally hooked on powder making it the center of life's choices. This is a great idea. I hope there are some wealthy ski bums out there to contribute the big bucks.

post #11 of 21

I read this article 2001 Ski Magazine interview with Doug Coombs recently and came away most impressed.

http://www.steepskiingcamps.com/SSCW/Articles_Interview.html

 

One part that stood out: despite skiing between 150- 200 days per yr, Doug didn't feel ''warmed up''

until he'd had a good 50 days in, first.  eek.gif  What a professional. Of course the stuff he is skiing is what I'll never

touch, but one can't help but admire his humble preparedness.

 

Excerpt:

 

  1. AB: How would you describe your style?

  2. DC: I try to be efficient.

  3. AB: Is it vision? Just knowing where you're going through all those obstacles? Is it just a comfort level from skiing that all the time? Is that just the knowledge base built through the years that makes you able to overcome any challenges that come your way?

  4. DC: It's all about the level of your comfort. Some people get so comfortable that they become numb and that's when they get hurt. I hate seeing my friends -- they push, push, push and think that they're almost superior to whatever is thrown in front of them and they get hurt. I like my comfort level -- I don't like going too far over that, I'm too old for that, I've paid the price, a few injuries, crashes, wrecks and all that. That doesn't happen that much anymore. My comfort level is a lot higher than others because of the time I put into it -- I'm skiing 150-200 days a year. I don't get warmed up until day 50 -- that's when I'm warmed up.

  5. AB: What's your scariest moment on skis?

  6. DC: I've had a few -- the scariest moment is when I'm thinking I'm having a good run and it ends up being icy and really steep and I'm stuck -- I've still got my edge into the snow but I realize that I'd better pull out my iceaxe -- I'd better be able to figure out how I'm going to get out of this mess. I've had a few of those in Europe -- not so much in Alaska, but mainly Europe and other places in the Tetons. The scariest thing of course is watching an avalanche. If skiing didn't have avalanches, it'd be the greatest sport in the world but then it wouldn't be what it is."

post #12 of 21

What a surprise to see this shortly after signing up for Epic Ski! I met Doug when we shared a couple geology classes at Montana State University in the late 70's-early 80's.  Back then I just thought he was a ski bum and lost track of him. I never imagined the greatness he would achieve. How fitting to have this foundation honoring this unique person that had such a passion for the sport.

post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by canali View Post

I read this article 2001 Ski Magazine interview with Doug Coombs recently and came away most impressed.

http://www.steepskiingcamps.com/SSCW/Articles_Interview.html

 

Such a great collection of articles there (all the links at the top of that page) - read em all. Very inspiring, thanks!
 

This was my favorite quote...

 

 

  1. AB: You're talking to some kids who are 10 or 12 years old who want to be great skiers --what do you recommend that they do? A race program, freestyle, pipe?

  2. DC: All of the above -- I like skiers who do bumps, race, pipes, jumps, even telemark, snowboard, cross-country ski. Might as well do all the things that slide on snow. I used to do that -- everything is about sliding and gravity. I tell 10 and 12 year olds, "you just keep doing it -- do as much as you can and you're going to get really good."

post #14 of 21

np....that quote that you provided sure provides insight into this gentleman,doesn't it?

....it actually reminds me of the great legendary BruceLee and how thorough and passionate

he was in exploring all the martial arts fully, to become the best well rounded martial artist that he could.

 

as per cross country skiing, that is something i was into before downhill (a bad breakup with an ex gf with who i did alot of xcountry,

had me wanting to take up downhill to distract myself and try something new)...loved cross country (both the scenery and fitness boosts)

and might try to get back into it (skate skiing and classic) next winter to try to mix both xcountry and downhill up a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc-ski View Post

 

Such a great collection of articles there (all the links at the top of that page) - read em all. Very inspiring, thanks!
 

This was my favorite quote...

 

 

  1. AB: You're talking to some kids who are 10 or 12 years old who want to be great skiers --what do you recommend that they do? A race program, freestyle, pipe?

  2. DC: All of the above -- I like skiers who do bumps, race, pipes, jumps, even telemark, snowboard, cross-country ski. Might as well do all the things that slide on snow. I used to do that -- everything is about sliding and gravity. I tell 10 and 12 year olds, "you just keep doing it -- do as much as you can and you're going to get really good."


Edited by canali - 1/27/13 at 7:02am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by canali View Post

....that quote that you provided sure provides insight into this gentleman,doesn't it?

 

This article too - good read!  ;-)

 

  Grand Teton Otter Body 1st Descent, story by Doug Coombs

 

Quite a special guy - time to make a donation to the foundation!

post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoback View Post

1000

 

I liked this so much that I took a picture of the TV the other night while watching "STEEP" on ESPN Classic. There's a big piece on Doug & Emily. If you haven't seen STEEP, I highly recommend it.

 

STEEP is also on Netflix right now. I also highly recommend it, fantastic look at the evolution of back country skiing.

post #17 of 21

Hi Bob (and all other Doug's fans),

I've been trying to find the K2 poster for ages, no luck. I understand that everyone who's got it is most likely to keep it (God knows I would), but is there any chance you could point me in the right direction regarding where to look for it?

Any advice is welcome. 

post #18 of 21

Bump for a worthwhile cause ... click the Facebook link in Bob's original post below to see some of the happy kids that have been introduced to skiing!  Thumbs Up

 

Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
 

Doug's widow Emily has set up a foundation to help kids from low-income families learn to ski.

 

http://www.facebook.com/DougCoombsFoundation

 

 

 

It's a great cause that fits perfectly with Doug's well-known passion for skiing - all the way from when he was a little bitty kid.

 

Likes are nice.  icon14.gif

 

Here's a vid from that page...

 


I'm sure they're still gladly accepting donations.  ;-)

post #19 of 21
post #20 of 21

Nice bump!!

post #21 of 21

In case you forget to get that special skier someone a gift for the holidays...

 

 

Coombs Foundation T-Shirt

 

They also accept donations via PayPal...

 

http://dougcoombsfoundation.com/donate

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion