New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Snowboard info

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I am looking to make a custom snowboard for my boyfriend he is 5'9, 205lbs, and only been snowboarding for two years. What is the difference between Revolution and Donek? I have a front and back graphic all designed. I just need to know who is respectable and won't steal my money!
post #2 of 15
Thread Starter 
I am looking to spend between 600-700 dollars
post #3 of 15

My friend, Mikey Franco, is building snowboards at the Igneous factory here in Jackson.  PM me and I can get you some contact info.  Mikey is a DECL level snowboard instructor and former member of the national demo team.  He also guides all over the world both snowboarding and surfing.

post #4 of 15

If you are looking to do a custom board, you need a lot more info than you gave.  Mikey Franco will give u good info, and is an east coast boy made good, for sure. 

 

But, r u interested in the graphic, or in a board that fits what your boyfriend might do with it?  Everything from weight to riding style to fitness to where your boyfriend typically rides can matter, a lot. 

 

If you are looking for a truly special gift, see if you can get your boyfriend's  height, weight, fitness level, more or less where he rides, and whether he likes mellow slopes, likes the park, likes steep runs, what he calls steep runs, etc. 

post #5 of 15

I would expect Mikey or any other custom builder would ask those questions.  So you know Mikey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKook View Post

If you are looking to do a custom board, you need a lot more info than you gave.  Mikey Franco will give u good info, and is an east coast boy made good, for sure. 

 

But, r u interested in the graphic, or in a board that fits what your boyfriend might do with it?  Everything from weight to riding style to fitness to where your boyfriend typically rides can matter, a lot. 

 

If you are looking for a truly special gift, see if you can get your boyfriend's  height, weight, fitness level, more or less where he rides, and whether he likes mellow slopes, likes the park, likes steep runs, what he calls steep runs, etc. 

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 

I was hoping to get the best of both worlds. My boyfriend is 5'9, weighs 205, he has a 11 shoe,  he likes mellow slopes and steep slopes. We are from the western new york area and we typically go to Kissing Bridge. The reason I am so interested in the graphics is because his is a graphic designer and has made me an amazing design that I fell in love with. But if I have to give up the graphics for quality I am willing to do that. My boyfriend also only has about two years of experience under his belt, but I figure if I am going to pay the money I want to get him the best because this seems like it will be a life long activity. 

Thank you for being so helpful.  

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 

And also to reply to your last question nope I do not know Mikey. :)

post #8 of 15

It sounded as if CTKook knows Mikey.  Here is a picture from Mikeys Facebook page of some of his boards.

 

 

1000

 

 

 

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post

I would expect Mikey or any other custom builder would ask those questions.  

Good custom builders definitely will ask those questions, and yes I am sure Mikey would/will.

 

For someone who is relatively new to the sport and generally heads to the slopes in NYS, you  (the OP) have some interesting design choices.  You shouldn't have to give up graphics, though -- on a custom board you have a lot of choice there.  If you can find out what boots and bindings your BF currently has, and what stance angles he currently rides at, that can help on some design issues for the board as well.  You can just measure how the bindings are set on his board if you want to get the stance angles without asking him. 

post #10 of 15

When you say custom snowboard do you mean custom everything (size, shape, flex, materials, etc.) or just custom graphics? With Donek, I believe, you can do custom graphics on a stock model, or they can do something completely ground up for you. You just call and talk to Sean, the owner. Contact info is on their website.

 

I have a stock model Donek from years ago. They're definitely a respectable company. I don't "know" Sean. I just had a couple phone calls with him years ago when I ordered a board, and he posts on a couple forums.
 

post #11 of 15

As a bit of a digression on art on boards, it is interesting to see how custom shops feel about different graphics.  Some are very open, and some pretty tight on what they will do, because they feel the topsheet look is part of their branding.  I don't think there is any right or wrong there, just different very cool ideas about what each company wants their niche to be.  It reminds me that on the one hand the board is a tool, but on the other it can be more than that.  I personally hate art on surfboards, for probably very irrational reasons, but am cool with it on snowboards.

post #12 of 15

One does spend a fair amount of time with one's face up to the board when paddling. I can imagine some artwork that would make this unpleasant. Although I have seen a few people ride a snowboard this way, I wouldn't call them riders :)

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Matola View Post

When you say custom snowboard do you mean custom everything (size, shape, flex, materials, etc.) or just custom graphics? With Donek, I believe, you can do custom graphics on a stock model...

 

I think she's looking for stock board with custom graphics. I assume that would cost less and a stock board should be fine.

 

Donek is a well known, respected brand. I don't know Revolution but there are lots of reputable makers of quality equipment  that I don't know.

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRusty View Post

One does spend a fair amount of time with one's face up to the board when paddling. I can imagine some artwork that would make this unpleasant. Although I have seen a few people ride a snowboard this way, I wouldn't call them riders :)

Yes, art can have unforeseen consequences... :)

 

The main problem for me with surfboards is that they don't last long, so any good art on it is a sign the board likely won't get used much; and any color is a sign the board won't do well with sunlight and heat.  The boards I like to see on walls are the ones with lots of pressure dents and other signs of use, so you know there are stories that go along with the object.  But, obviously a board with great art is a cool thing and also puts money in several pockets in a good way, so it probably is good for the industry and the sport even if one is too nice to surf. 

 

Snowboards last at least a bit longer, and the topsheets are relatively more durable, and the production process is different.  So whatever the art it will still get used.  I have had a couple where I stickered over some parts of the art, for sure, though.

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Matola View Post


I have a stock model Donek from years ago. They're definitely a respectable company. I don't "know" Sean. I just had a couple phone calls with him years ago when I ordered a board, and he posts on a couple forums.
 

I've met Sean and ordered a custom board for one of my customers from him.  I highly recommend his work.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: