New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Early Season New England

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hey guys,

 

Sorry if this topic has been discussed this year but I haven't seen it.  I'm going skiing this Sat, Dec 1st with a few friends and am looking for a recommendation for a mountain in New England.  Just got a new pair of S3s (thanks in part to these forums) and really want to test them out.  I'll be driving from Boston.  Right now I'm thinking Killington as I hear the early season is good compared to others ( haven't been in years), other possibilities are wildcat and sugarbush.  A new one to me is Cannon in NH, I hear good things but have never been.  Open to any recommendations you guys may have.

 

Thanks

-Danny

post #2 of 12

Might learn something useful here:

http://www.epicski.com/t/115122/thanksgiving-2012-killington-sugarbush-stowe

 

If you can deal with Facebook, sometimes can find out something about conditions for a particular place.  Although I like to check out webcams on a resort's website to draw my own conclusions.

 

Have fun!

post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dony85 View Post

Hey guys,

 

Sorry if this topic has been discussed this year but I haven't seen it.  I'm going skiing this Sat, Dec 1st with a few friends and am looking for a recommendation for a mountain in New England.  Just got a new pair of S3s (thanks in part to these forums) and really want to test them out.  I'll be driving from Boston.  Right now I'm thinking Killington as I hear the early season is good compared to others ( haven't been in years), other possibilities are wildcat and sugarbush.  A new one to me is Cannon in NH, I hear good things but have never been.  Open to any recommendations you guys may have.

 

Thanks

-Danny


Unless we get some decent snow in a storm you probably are not going to really get a good feel for what the S3 can do. It really isn't worth it as a ski for groomer zoomer skiing and that is pretty much what is going to be available. Yeah one might find some small moguls but they will be pretty hardpacked stuff, most all other trails open will be groomed and scraped. Bring a carver type ski and save the S3 for when we have better / more snow and you will enjoy them.

post #4 of 12

Cannon will have minimal open by the weekend.  Sunday River or Killington aree your best bets if you want decent terrain open and within driving distance.

post #5 of 12

Since you are considering Sugarbush I'll through another place into the mix which is about the same drive time as Sugarbush. Stowe has quite a bit of terrain open & will probably have more on line for the weekend. The area is open top to bottom with over 2,000ft. of consistent vertical. They have what is arguably the best snow making system in the east & are not afraid to use it. In addition to snow making they're reporting  6"-10" of natural snow falling this week with 2" of that last night. No other resort in the east is reporting anything near that amount of natural snow except for their next door neighbor Smuggs. There is also more natural snow in the forcast for later today into tonight. I would consider going there if I were you.
 

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to check out Stowe. Apparently its snowing there right now and I found a good deal on a local hotel. Looks like there's plenty to do around there.
post #7 of 12

Have fun!  Hope we can to see a Trip Report. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dony85 View Post

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to check out Stowe. Apparently its snowing there right now and I found a good deal on a local hotel. Looks like there's plenty to do around there.
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 

Went to Stowe and had a great time.  The night before I arrived they had 5-6 of nice powder.  37 trails listed open but I found a few that weren't listed and were open.  Mansfield was open with good runs, most of the double blacks were closed.  Still some rough terrain with rocks and branches in between but overall it was great.  I checked out spruce for a little bit with a friend of mine who is pretty new and it was fine.  They were blasting snow all day with their new guns.  We ended up staying the night at Sun and Ski which I'd highly recommend to anyone visiting the area, very nice people and well priced. 

 

Thanks for the suggestion and tips

 

-Danny 

post #9 of 12

Thanks for the TR.  So how did you like the S3?

post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 

Well between the new boots and the S3s I had a great time.  It's a first time actual purchase for me so it took me a bit to get used to them and I'm not sure given the conditions I experienced the whole of what the S3s can offer.  All together though I really enjoyed them, I might consider buying a cheaper carver ski for conditions like that.  

post #11 of 12

I demoed the S3 and thought it was an okay ski. Like you, I didn't have much for trail variety to choose from. Left me wishing I could do a more in depth test.
 

post #12 of 12

Aah . . . ready to build a quiver already. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dony85 View Post

Well between the new boots and the S3s I had a great time.  It's a first time actual purchase for me so it took me a bit to get used to them and I'm not sure given the conditions I experienced the whole of what the S3s can offer.  All together though I really enjoyed them, I might consider buying a cheaper carver ski for conditions like that.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel