EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Correct fit of race helmet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Correct fit of race helmet

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Last spring, I bought my first race helmet.  Although it seemed to fit well in the store, after wearing it for more than just a minute or so, I find that the lower edge of the "ears" presses uncomfortably hard into my cheek/jaw area.  [Note to self: next time, keep in on in the store for a while before deciding it fits.]  The helmet fits comfortably snug on the upper part of my head, with no room for a finger between helmet and forehead.  It's the first one in the pics below.

 

I tried on another one 2cm larger (pic on right).  With this one, I can shove a finger up between my forehead the the helmet, but the pressure from the ears is about the same as the first one, and almost as uncomfortable.  I doubt I could go yet another size up, since then it would be way too loose around my forehead.

 

10001000

 

Is that normal with this kind of helmet?  I wonder if it would help to cut a wood 2x4 to the right length and push it in between the ears to spread them apart a bit.  Maybe if I left it in for a couple of weeks it might have a lasting effect.  Don't want to damage the helmet though....

post #2 of 11

You're starting to discover that race helmets have different *shapes* as well as sizes.    

 

If one shape in the right 'size'  doesn't fit try a different shape instead of trying the same shape in a different size. 

 

That said

- no, foam pressing into upper jaw is not comfortable or desirable. 

- first check that all foam on the inside is in its right place and hasn't moved since purchase.  

 

 

- you will NOT be able to stretch the shell of the helmet without cracking it.  Jamming 2x4s in is a good way to start the cracks. 

- you *may* (very carefully) be able to "soften" the foam on the inside at the trouble spots.  By 'soften' I mean "softly smash up and compress with something like a hammer handle".    Proceed at your own risk and discretion, your warranty will be toast.

 

- a helmet that fits slightly sloppy-but-comfortable with short hair can fit exactly right when a helmet liner is worn.

post #3 of 11
Correct fit should be the right shape of helmet for the shape of your head.
Second fit has to be very tight a little or more un comfy, but not painful.
Third, depending on use : if run DH or SG should be race like fit, absolutely tight over your head and face, if just for recreational use looser would do..

P.S. look at some vids of WC racers in their helmets, from Bode to Lindsey. You'll see how the helmets stay very tight on their faces/heads.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View PostYou're starting to discover that race helmets have different *shapes* as well as sizes.    

Golly!  You mean you can't just go by the snazzy graphics??? Darn! roflmao.gif

post #5 of 11
You may want to try a different brand. I find race helmets fall into basically 2 distinct shapes. The poc/bricko fit and. The uvex/shred fit. Last Carrera I tried was somewhere in between (I have poc, bricko and uvex but the poc fit best for me, also bricko M is a 58 and like a large in other brands). As others have said, you want a good tight fit but should not be uncomfortable.
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by ScotsSkier View Post
You may want to try a different brand. I find race helmets fall into basically 2 distinct shapes. The poc/bricko fit and. The uvex/shred fit. Last Carrera I tried was somewhere in between (I have poc, bricko and uvex but the poc fit best for me, also bricko M is a 58 and like a large in other brands). As others have said, you want a good tight fit but should not be uncomfortable.

How do the ears on the uvex/shred compare to the poc/bricko?  Do they come further down?

post #7 of 11

^^^ Well, the uvex will cover down to your mid ear lobe, but may provide 2 mm tighter fit across your forehead. rolleyes.gif Asking an internet forum about how a helmet might/should/could fit your head, let alone where ear pieces will come to, is sillier (if possible) than buying boots blind. Each model of each brand will have its own shape relative to your skull and face. Go try them on. If you can't near where you live, make a day of it to downtown Toronto, find a ski shop. 

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

^^^ Well, the uvex will cover down to your mid ear lobe, but may provide 2 mm tighter fit across your forehead. rolleyes.gif Asking an internet forum about how a helmet might/should/could fit your head, let alone where ear pieces will come to, is sillier (if possible) than buying boots blind. Each model of each brand will have its own shape relative to your skull and face. Go try them on. If you can't near where you live, make a day of it to downtown Toronto, find a ski shop. 

LOL....but maybe if I trace the outline of my foot and post it here, someone can recommend a pair of boots that will fit me??? ROTF.gif  Sorry, you're right, of course.  And what makes it even more embarrassing is that there's a ski shop just a 5 minute walk down the street from my house redface.gif  On the other hand, I dropped my coffee mug at work a few months ago and broke the handle off, leaving a sharp edge.  I rubbed it on a concrete wall to smooth it down, and since then have been carrying it with a few wraps of paper towel to avoid burning my hand.  I keep telling myself I need to buy a new mug, but haven't found the time.  Oh, no!  How am I ever going to find time to go skiing? eek.gif


Edited by renenkel - 11/28/12 at 8:13pm
post #9 of 11

Ya got yer round pumpkin heads, and ya got yer long potat'er heads. POC's like pumpkins. In the non-race world, Smith likes tater's.  

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by renenkel View Post

LOL....but maybe if I trace the outline of my foot and post it here, someone can recommend a pair of boots that will fit me??? ROTF.gif  Sorry, you're right, of course.  And what makes it even more embarrassing is that there's a ski shop just a 5 minute walk down the street from my house redface.gif  On the other hand, I dropped my coffee mug at work a few months ago and broke the handle off, leaving a sharp edge.  I rubbed it on a concrete wall to smooth it down, and since then have been carrying it with a few wraps of paper towel to avoid burning my hand.  I keep telling myself I need to buy a new mug, but haven't found the time.  Oh, no!  How am I ever going to find time to go skiing? eek.gif

OK, I can relate. You're back in good graces. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

Ya got yer round pumpkin heads, and ya got yer long potat'er heads. POC's like pumpkins. In the non-race world, Smith likes tater's.  

An ya got yer Giros, which ain't bad fer reasonable-like taters. An fer them weird taters, the real long narrow ones a'dll get ya at night, ya got yer Sweet's, no one 'cept me's ever even seen one, let alone wear one, ya gotta order online, but they're made of nice stuff like POC's. 

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 

Originally Posted by markojp View Post
Ya got yer round pumpkin heads, and ya got yer long potat'er heads. POC's like pumpkins. In the non-race world, Smith likes tater's.

Originally Posted by beyond View Post

An ya got yer Giros, which ain't bad fer reasonable-like taters. An fer them weird taters, the real long narrow ones a'dll get ya at night, ya got yer Sweet's, no one 'cept me's ever even seen one, let alone wear one, ya gotta order online, but they're made of nice stuff like POC's. 

 

Trash-talking redneck skiiers!  Gotta love it!!!

And lots of useful info too, thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Correct fit of race helmet