Agree tomorrow morning would be ideal ... but that would mean traveling today if I considered going up to Snowshoe! Maybe discretion is the better part of valor and I should set my sights more local for tomorrow, like Beech or Sugar.
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemAppalachian Ski Mtn.tagged by System, 11/28/12
- itemBeech Mountain Resorttagged by System, 11/28/12
- itemCataloochee Ski Areatagged by System, 12/22/12
- itemMassanutten Ski Resorttagged by System, 12/22/12
- itemOber Gatlinburg Ski Resorttagged by System, 12/28/12
- itemSugar Mountain Ski Areatagged by System, 11/28/12
- itemWintergreen Resorttagged by System, 12/22/12
Related Forum Threads
- 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD, west PA) Last post on 3/23/17 at 3:59pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- 2015-16 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, west PA; plus SC, GA, TN, AL, FL) Last post on 9/10/16 at 1:25pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- The 2014-15 thread for NC, VA, SC, GA, WV, etc.. Last post on 9/8/15 at 7:32pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- NC, VA, SC, GA Ski Trip/Day Trip Get Together Meet Up Thread for 2013-2014 Season Last post on 4/11/14 at 6:07am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Wintergreen vs Sugar vs Beech Last post on 2/27/17 at 1:40pm in General Skiing Discussion
Massanutten - An Unofficial Guide
Last edited: 10/9/15
- Appalachian Mountain, NC. Local Guide/Best Place to LearnLast edited: 3/8/14
- Beech Mountain, NC Local Guide to Highest Elevation in the Eastern USLast edited: 3/8/14
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Semi Official Southern MidAtlantic NC, TN, VA Meet Em and Ski Em Informal Gatherings and Conditions Thread. - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #122 of 1423/6/13 at 8:04am
Massanutten and Wintergreen are happily buried in snow today, March 6. Mnut reported 18 inches as of 10:30am on their snow conditions webpage. Wintergreen's snow blog has a pic of 13 inches as of 7am.
If I had the time for a day trip on Thu, I'd probably be heading to Wintergreen. Would take the 4WD pickup to make sure of getting up the mountain. Wintergreen apparently started getting lighter snow after the first few inches. A SkiSE regular spent the night up there. He's having a good time today!
The advantage of driving another 45 min to Massanutten is there is no real mountain driving involved. Mnut is NOT grooming the black and blue trails. Late season lift ticket prices started Monday.
The bumps on MakAttack could be huge by the weekend. All schools around Harrisonburg are closed Wed.post #123 of 1423/6/13 at 8:39amThread Starterpost #124 of 1423/7/13 at 10:19am
Wintergreen's snow blog says they got 24-30 inches. With all the wind, they can't figure out how to measure. Access road is open.
Massanutten says 22-24 inches. They groomed out everything except MAKattack. Local families are taking advantage of the fact that local schools are closed again today. Mnut has a special rate for snow days. The slopes are much busier than the average late season Thursday.
Temps will stay cool until the weekend. Highs in 30's or 40's. Should be perfect spring skiing this weekend when it gets up into the 50's.post #125 of 1423/7/13 at 11:29ampost #126 of 1423/8/13 at 10:07am
The high yesterday at Mnut was about 34. Right now it's 33 degrees. Presumably similar temps at Wintergreen. So all the new snow will still be there Sat morning!
Everything but MAKattack was groomed yesterday. Hoping they left the side of Paradice ungroomed like they did during the blizzard year. The Mnut team coaches liked to take the kids on those little bumps. I bet there are tracks under the lower part of Lift 6.
Wintergreen not only groomed out the trails, they had ski patrol actively keeping people out of the trees along the sides of the Highlands. Pretty strange to see snow at the side of trails that was HIGHER than on the run.post #127 of 1423/8/13 at 12:15pmThread Starter
For those fortunate enough to be skiing MidAtlantic Saturday I HIGHLY recommend a generous coating of sunscreen on your faces. I suspect tomorrow will be that first really nice sunny day that many people get burned bright red around the cheeks and nosepost #128 of 1423/9/13 at 6:30amThread Starterpost #129 of 1423/9/13 at 6:23pmpost #130 of 1423/9/13 at 6:25pmpost #131 of 1423/9/13 at 8:10pmI didn't ski much since we didn't arrive until mid-afternoon. Enough to know that everything was groomed flat after Wed, except MAKattack. Big bumps to be found there. Paradice is flatter than usual. Before there were contours based on snow guns whales. A couple friends who skied this morning said it was great, but got messy by early afternoon. Not so much slushy, but more a matter of small chunks forming all over.Here with two other Bears and their kids who are at Mnut for the first time. So three adult ski nuts and three tweens along for the ride. Kids enjoyed the waterpark this evening. We'll all ski tomorrow morning, but not until things soften up.Just enough snow left in the valley for a little sliding fun
Deep up on the mountain, is it really March?
Views from the top of Lift 6 around 5:30pm, temps falling into the 30's.post #132 of 1423/10/13 at 6:38pmThread Starter
A few more
Chance of Snow moved up from 100cm beginner skis to 117 cm Head Mojo 65. Not sure if it was that or showing off for the girls he was skiing with, but he moved up from a greenish blue skier to a blueish black skier today
Good morning Old Man River!
And he's GONE!post #133 of 1423/10/13 at 8:37pm
Great spring skiing at Mnut today. No waiting for softening . . . was 42 at 9am on the mountain even thought it was 35 in the valley. First few runs were wonderful before it got a bit too warm. Still, plenty of fun for parents and kids. Plus I had a private for the Silver Clinic in the afternoon.
Melting off ski lodge roof at 9am
Ski school line up at 10. Does NOT look like March in VA.
ddanks, marznc and their tween daughters at top of Massanutten
Off Lift 5, got busier on Showtime in the afternoonpost #134 of 1423/13/13 at 6:14amThread Starter
Appalachian still looks on track to stay open until March 24th.
Beech info is a little less specific.Quote:Beginning March 4th and continuing for the remainder of the ski season, the resort will provide one youth (12 & under) lift ticket at no charge with the purchase of every adult lift ticket."Although Mother Nature has the final say in the matter, officials at Beech Mountain Resort have set a goal to stay open well into the second half of March.""As long as the weather cooperates and there are people on the slopes, we will stay open," Freeman said.post #135 of 1423/14/13 at 6:18ampost #136 of 1423/14/13 at 6:38ampost #137 of 1423/14/13 at 7:03am
Winterplace has, or had, one bump run. Most of the folks who are there on weekends never go near it because they are doing good if they can handle the blue groomers. Haven't been for several years.
Wintergreen . . . the bigger issue for me is that someone who does not own property there cannot buy a season pass that includes any Saturdays for any amount of money. Plus if you actually pay for a lift ticket on Sat, the lift line wait is even longer because property owners get priority over the general public. I've skied bumps at the top of Upper Cliffhanger in the past when there was enough snow early in the season, but hard to say what the current management will allow in the future given what they groomed out everything on the Highlands the day after the 20+ inch snowstorm.post #138 of 1423/14/13 at 7:12am
Since someone brought up bump runs . . . this is what MAKattack at Massanutten can look like under the lights. Wasn't quite that much this season, but there were bumps after mid-Jan. Although with more snowboarders than skiers, not really easy to find round bumps. Pretty short trail, but good place to get someone started before they go to Blue Knob or Timberline.
Even if Wintergeen allowed bumps to form, couldn't ski them after 4pm because there are no lights on the Highlands.post #139 of 1423/17/13 at 8:55am
It's snowing at Mnut again! Looks like big wet flakes on the webcam, but that beats rain.
Timberline got an inch between 5am and the website update at 7:30am. A snowy luau after all.post #140 of 1423/17/13 at 8:12pm
Well, well, well . . . Massanutten's last day wasn't today after all. Snowed most of the day and temps never got over 32 on the mountain. From the Massanutten snow page as of Sun evening:"Winter Storm Watch in effect for tonight. We will operate 3 lifts servicing 11 trails for our final day on Monday, March 18th 9am-4:30pm."post #141 of 1423/18/13 at 9:12am
Mnut didn't run the J-bar for the big terrain park or Lift 3 that serves the little terrain park and Geronimo. Got 4 inches of snow overnight.Wintergreen decided to open today too instead of being closed M-F. Said they wouldn't groom the Highlands. They have one more weekend for sure since the pond skim festivities were move to March 23-24.Bryce is doing something unusual to end their season. $20 lifties M-F this week but only midday, 10:00-3:00. Not planning to open next weekend.
This thread is locked
- Semi Official Southern MidAtlantic NC, TN, VA Meet Em and Ski Em Informal Gatherings and Conditions Thread.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Appalachian Mountain, NC. Local Guide/Best Place to Learn
- › FS Fischer Pro Mountain 86 182cm only used 4 days 9 minutes ago
- › 105-110 powder ski that can handle ice 31 minutes ago
- › MA this intermediate(ish) senior skier 35 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 38 minutes ago
- › Best name for a run... 46 minutes ago
- › Skis you can't or won't part with 54 minutes ago
- › Lech am Arlberg, March 3rd-11th 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Aspen end of March?? 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
- › The 2017 Oregon Ski Safari : 60 years old. 50 years of skiing... 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › FS: Dynastar Speed Omeglass SL WC with PX15 Bindings - 155 cm 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview