I live in the northern panhandle of West Virginia, and looking to take a ski trip with my fiance this January, we've both been skiing before and are low level intermediates and own our own ski. Last year in January we took a trip to timberline resort, we loved it there but I was just wondering what else was out there, and if maybe anything would be a little cheaper. We hit green and blues, but we want wherever we go to have a long run that's similar to the salamander at timberline, just to relax and cruise on.
Related Forum Threads
- 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD, west PA) Last post on 3/23/17 at 3:59pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Best value Mid-Atlantic resort? Last post on 12/3/12 at 2:40pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Mid-Atlantic Gathering 2016-17 Discussion Last post on 9/28/16 at 5:45pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- 2015-16 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, west PA; plus SC, GA, TN, AL, FL) Last post on 9/10/16 at 1:25pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Long Easy Greens for a first-timer [family driving from TN, beginners and intermediates] Last post on 11/10/13 at 5:07pm in Family Skiing Discussions
EpicSki Interview with Tim Eastley
Last edited: 12/19/16
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- Unofficial Guide for Canaan Valley Resort, West VirginiaLast edited: 9/17/13
- Timberline Four Seasons Resort, West Virginia, Unofficial GuideLast edited: 9/13/13
- Great Glades Almighty!Last edited: 5/28/13
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Cheap skiing around West Virginiapost #1 of 611/27/12 at 6:07pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 611/27/12 at 6:31pm
Welcome to EpicSki!
Timberline is probably your best bet. Snowshoe is definitely not for people worrying about their budget.
Take a look here for the places in WV, VA, PA.
You could join this EpicSki group and post a thread there too.post #3 of 611/27/12 at 7:00pmpost #4 of 611/27/12 at 7:01pm
Canaan Valley, which is practically right next door to Timberline is a little cheaper than Timberline to ski at and they do have a run like Salamander, actually, one that is a little nicer and prettier than Salamander. Unfortunately, Canaan Valley is in the middle of doing some much needed updates to their ski area and the work got significantly delayed by hurricane Sandy. This means they will likely get a late start to the season or pretty much miss the season entirely.
The lodge at Canaan Valley can be an inexpensive place to stay when you want to ski either Timberline or Canaan.
Other places you can check out are Wisp in Maryland and Blue Knob in PA. Wisp will be a bit more expensive, but is a nice place with some great views along with some good beginner and intermediate runs. Blue Knob may be a little less expensive than Timberline and they do have one nice long green trail that goes down the whole mountain. The only downside to the trail is that it is intersected by some intermediate trails so there is some cross traffic. The Epicski Mid-Atlantic gathering will take place this season at Blue Knob near the end of February.
If you go back to Timberline or Canaan this year and enjoy live music, you and your fiance need to check out the Purple Fiddle in Thomas WV. Great music, and pretty decent food, coffee and beer. The place fills up at night for the music. My wife and I always make a stop their when we travel to the Canaan Valley area.post #5 of 611/27/12 at 8:35pmThread Starterpost #6 of 611/28/12 at 8:43am
Hey Neighbor, Welcome to epic ski. I guess you've been to Seven Springs, that's an easy day trip from the northern panhandle?
I am very partial to Timberline, but Snowshoe has a whole lot more terrain for green/blue skiers. It's expensive, crowded and in my opinion a dangerous place to ski (on the weekends). While Snowshoe doesn't have a green trail as long as Salamander, my wife likes the variety of terrain better than Timberline. If you can swing a mid week trip you really should consider Snowshoe; if it has to be on the weekend come back to Canaan Valley and enjoy the unique ambiance of Tucker County. You might even consider a lesson at Timberline; learn to ski the whole mountain; ask for jimmy .
- Cheap skiing around West Virginia
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 50 minutes ago
- › lessons around Tahoe... 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Atomic Vantage 90 CTI Skis 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Pondering a new bike (but I really shouldn't ... but hey, summer... 2 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 3 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › NYC End of Season Social Gathering 3 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Utah weather, news, and chat 3 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Mountains that offer skiing and mountain biking 3 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › My 2nd annual Banff trip: March 9 – 11, 2017 3 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › More Retro memories???? 3 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview