I live in the northern panhandle of West Virginia, and looking to take a ski trip with my fiance this January, we've both been skiing before and are low level intermediates and own our own ski. Last year in January we took a trip to timberline resort, we loved it there but I was just wondering what else was out there, and if maybe anything would be a little cheaper. We hit green and blues, but we want wherever we go to have a long run that's similar to the salamander at timberline, just to relax and cruise on.
Related Forum Threads
- 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD, west PA) Last post on 10/20/16 at 9:49am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Best value Mid-Atlantic resort? Last post on 12/3/12 at 2:40pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Mid-Atlantic Gathering 2016-17 Discussion Last post on 9/28/16 at 5:45pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- 2015-16 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, west PA; plus SC, GA, TN, AL, FL) Last post on 9/10/16 at 1:25pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Long Easy Greens for a first-timer [family driving from TN, beginners and intermediates] Last post on 11/10/13 at 5:07pm in Family Skiing Discussions
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- Unofficial Guide for Canaan Valley Resort, West VirginiaLast edited: 9/17/13
- Timberline Four Seasons Resort, West Virginia, Unofficial GuideLast edited: 9/13/13
- Great Glades Almighty!Last edited: 5/28/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Cheap skiing around West Virginiapost #1 of 611/27/12 at 6:07pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 611/27/12 at 6:31pm
Welcome to EpicSki!
Timberline is probably your best bet. Snowshoe is definitely not for people worrying about their budget.
Take a look here for the places in WV, VA, PA.
You could join this EpicSki group and post a thread there too.post #3 of 611/27/12 at 7:00pmpost #4 of 611/27/12 at 7:01pm
Canaan Valley, which is practically right next door to Timberline is a little cheaper than Timberline to ski at and they do have a run like Salamander, actually, one that is a little nicer and prettier than Salamander. Unfortunately, Canaan Valley is in the middle of doing some much needed updates to their ski area and the work got significantly delayed by hurricane Sandy. This means they will likely get a late start to the season or pretty much miss the season entirely.
The lodge at Canaan Valley can be an inexpensive place to stay when you want to ski either Timberline or Canaan.
Other places you can check out are Wisp in Maryland and Blue Knob in PA. Wisp will be a bit more expensive, but is a nice place with some great views along with some good beginner and intermediate runs. Blue Knob may be a little less expensive than Timberline and they do have one nice long green trail that goes down the whole mountain. The only downside to the trail is that it is intersected by some intermediate trails so there is some cross traffic. The Epicski Mid-Atlantic gathering will take place this season at Blue Knob near the end of February.
If you go back to Timberline or Canaan this year and enjoy live music, you and your fiance need to check out the Purple Fiddle in Thomas WV. Great music, and pretty decent food, coffee and beer. The place fills up at night for the music. My wife and I always make a stop their when we travel to the Canaan Valley area.post #5 of 611/27/12 at 8:35pmThread Starterpost #6 of 611/28/12 at 8:43am
Hey Neighbor, Welcome to epic ski. I guess you've been to Seven Springs, that's an easy day trip from the northern panhandle?
I am very partial to Timberline, but Snowshoe has a whole lot more terrain for green/blue skiers. It's expensive, crowded and in my opinion a dangerous place to ski (on the weekends). While Snowshoe doesn't have a green trail as long as Salamander, my wife likes the variety of terrain better than Timberline. If you can swing a mid week trip you really should consider Snowshoe; if it has to be on the weekend come back to Canaan Valley and enjoy the unique ambiance of Tucker County. You might even consider a lesson at Timberline; learn to ski the whole mountain; ask for jimmy .
- Cheap skiing around West Virginia
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Unofficial Guide for Canaan Valley Resort, West Virginia
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 10 minutes ago
- › Best Budget Skiing in North America? 10 minutes ago
- › Another What ski/size question, with a twist... 33 minutes ago
- › Boutique Vs Big Brands: Which do you prefer? 38 minutes ago
- › Ski Powder Highway 40 minutes ago
- › FS - barely used Icelantic, Line, Elan, Salomon & Surface skis -... 52 minutes ago
- › Kids boot sizing 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Why you don't get cell service at Snowshoe 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › Beginners tip bible - share yours 2 hours, 47 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer