EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Salomon 916 AFD on my toe broken, still safe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Salomon 916 AFD on my toe broken, still safe?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hello, I have a very lightly used pair of 2005 Salomon 916's ninja(new 2.5 seasons ago) less than 100 days on them,  that are mounted to some older skis, I have a new set of Head Carlos 125's im thinking of mounting these bindings too.  I am having the notorious broke afd's that are located under the wings.  I recently brought out these binders and skied them and decided, hey these things are pretty solid.  So to save some money I'm thinking of mounting these bombers on my new sticks.  I have absolutely no toe slop, and have not had any problems with pre release, i ride them at 12.5 din.  Am i flirting with fire? Should i just pony up and get some new bindings? I was at snowbird today and saw dozens of these things around, best bindings ever....

post #2 of 14

IMO - and not a shop guy or binding expert + you don't describe how it's broken - I'd ask myself if my knees are worth the cost of a new afd. Or binding, if no replacement afd's available. Just sayin'...

post #3 of 14

Get the AFD fixed...or a new binding. If you are already cranking them up to 12.5, you really don't want them to not release when they should. The AFD is a very important piece of ski binding, and you are taking a huge unnecessary risk. In pure economics, compare the cost of a new binding to the medical cost of a knee surgery, time lost at work, and time lost doing what you love. I've done ACL reconstitution and I never want to do it again. FIX EM OR DITCH EM.

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 

they are the afd's underneath the adjustable wings, ive  seen many ways to repair/fix them, i dont expect these bindings to come off/ i dont want these bindings to come off, im thinking if they hold me in i should be fine? Your probably right i should just sally up... 

1000

post #5 of 14

Whatever you want their your legs...

post #6 of 14

You can get a replacement.

 

You need a plate to "slide" off. Do not play with your life and limbs.

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiut420 View Post

 i dont expect these bindings to come off/ i dont want these bindings to come off, im thinking if they hold me in i should be fine? 

1000

Then why are they set at 12.5???? They go to 16. Looks like someone already is "Sally"-ing up.

post #8 of 14

These help you keep a solid interface with the bindings. If you bring then into a shop to get mounted, they will fail the visual inspection since they are missing an integral piece of the release mechanism. I will have to check the Salomon parts catalog of they are available. I have 20+ pair of this generation of bindings at my house, none have this piece missing. Someone cold use a better way to clean the snow off of their boots vs. kicking the toe piece. 

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post

Then why are they set at 12.5???? They go to 16. Looks like someone already is "Sally"-ing up.

 

Honestly, who rides there bindings at 16? Probably only professional freeriders/racers... a few of them.. You guys have convinced me, I'm going to wait and buy a new set of bindings....

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

These help you keep a solid interface with the bindings. If you bring then into a shop to get mounted, they will fail the visual inspection since they are missing an integral piece of the release mechanism. I will have to check the Salomon parts catalog of they are available. I have 20+ pair of this generation of bindings at my house, none have this piece missing. Someone cold use a better way to clean the snow off of their boots vs. kicking the toe piece. 

 

I've had numerous sets of these as well and never had this problem! I think i was careless a time or two and managed to break one on each toe piece.  Needless to say I am very very careful now not to kick my toe pieces, if you could check into getting these pieces I would appreciate that, I seriously like these bindings...

post #11 of 14

I would replace the AFD.

I  would also look carefully into other causes of pre-release for the binding (poorly adjusted forward pressure, inaccurate calibration, etc.)

 

BTW,  you may be a big guy with small feet and have your DIN number at 3++, but odds are your DIN is a little too high.  There are times (e.g. skiing long near-cliffs on the back side with turn or die at the bottom of same) when it is safer not to have the ski come off, but those times are rare.  I would reconsider the high DIN for most other skiing, unless, as I said the 12.5 is in line with a 3++.  I bet Lanzinger wishes this ski had come off a little easier

 

http://www.dinsetting.com/dinchart.htm

 

Just say'n.

post #12 of 14

according to Salomon's parts catalog, these are not available as a sand alone part. With that said, you might bring them into a shop and have them send them back to Salomon to be either fixed under warranty (I doubt warranty because of the age) or fixed for a nominal charge. It is not uncommon for repairs like this needing to be done at the manufactures level since we are dealing with a safety hence liability issue. As far as skiing these at a 12.5...ehh..that is even too warm and fuzzy for some of the Drivers I have that START at 14 (14-20 models)

 LL

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

according to Salomon's parts catalog, these are not available as a sand alone part. With that said, you might bring them into a shop and have them send them back to Salomon to be either fixed under warranty (I doubt warranty because of the age) or fixed for a nominal charge. It is not uncommon for repairs like this needing to be done at the manufactures level since we are dealing with a safety hence liability issue. As far as skiing these at a 12.5...ehh..that is even too warm and fuzzy for some of the Drivers I have that START at 14 (14-20 models)

 LL

 

Phil, thanks for your help, i have done some more research and it seems that Salomon changed the toe afd's a number of times over the years, different materials, etc.... And that the 2005 model that I have had a lot of problems with those afd's, i'm sure that with a little effort I could get these things fixed etc. but i think that im just going to go with a new set of binders, plus those 916's are mounted to some rock boards i have... I found the 2011 Atomic FFG 16's with 130mm brakes for like $225.00, btw those 997's you have are sick...

post #14 of 14

There are 2 pretty simple options to fix them...

 

1. Find some old skis on craigslist for free or super cheap with old salomon bindings (doesn't matter what type as long as the shape of the toe wing AFD is the same). Cut / prise out the AFD from old bindings. Sand / scratch the surface that connects with the binding. Glue into new bindings. This will give you the exact same release as previously; only problem is that AFD stands for anti friction device so it doesn't stick particularly well to anything, including glue....so your repair may not last long.

 

2. Mold new AFD out of JB weld or similar. Let it cure then sand down. In theory this method doesn't give the exact same friction as an AFD but I've used this on several sets of bindings and not had an issue. I have my DIN at 13 and find they release very reliably, and have comfortably skied them on 'no-fall' lines. There's a thread somewhere on TGR about this fix.

 

Or if you think the bindings are junk, pop them in a box and send them to me for recycling!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Salomon 916 AFD on my toe broken, still safe?