EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Boot Liners for Numb Feet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boot Liners for Numb Feet?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Hi Everyone..

 

I have Solomon Impact 9 boots (26.5) and ever since I bought them about 2-3 years ago I have been trying to make adjustments for a high instep and a somewhat beefy calf.  After about 30 -40 minutes, my left foot (in particular) gets tingly and begins to go numb to the point where I have to take the boot off or release all the buckles to let the blood flow again. I have just cut out a portion of the plastic top of the liner and it seems to help a little bit but not enough.  I'm wondering if using an Intuition heat-moldable foot liner will help take the pressure off the spot(s) on my foot (especially the top) where blood needs to flow and maybe even my calf muscles that also have blood vessels that run down to the foot.  Can anyone give me some advice?

post #2 of 18

I would bet that an Intuition liner will not help, much as I like them, but you will likely get a better response by posting this in the "Ask the Boot Guys" forum.  Also include whether or not you bought them from a boot fitter or just a ski shop.

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 

Will do; many thanks.

post #4 of 18

Intuitions are a-amazing.  SO warm. 
 

post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
So if I have been using two thin socks, one shoulddo the trick with Intuitions?
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelfahlund View Post

So if I have been using two thin socks, one shoulddo the trick with Intuitions?

 

eek.gif

 

Two pairs of socks?  Why?  Usually folks do that when the boots are too big and you are tightening the buckles too much to make up for it.  Each layer of sock makes your foot thicker.  When I'm barefoot, my foot is 25cm.  With a thin ski sock it goes up to 26.4cm.  Two pairs of thin socks would then bump it up 27.8!  That's just the length.  The same thing is happening for the width and instep.  Your adding about .5~.7 cm to each side of your foot per sock. Your original problem is a high instep and wearing two socks makes it even higher.  Don't do that.

 

Go back to the beginning with one thin pair of socks on and start over.  If you haven't yet, read the stickies in the "Ask the boot guys" forum and do a shell fit.  Just going to one pair of socks might solve your problems.  Especially if the shell fit is good.  If the shell fit is good, try a sock liner (incredibly thin) WITHOUT a sock.  That's the only way I can get my foot in my boot.

 

I'm also a big fan of Intuitions but before you go down that path, or modify your boots anymore, go back to the basics.

 

If there is an opportunity to see a real bootfitter, they are worth it.

 

Have fun & hope this helps,

 

Ken

post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post

I would bet that an Intuition liner will not help, much as I like them, but you will likely get a better response by posting this in the "Ask the Boot Guys" forum.  Also include whether or not you bought them from a boot fitter or just a ski shop.

^^^^ This. Prolly fit issue, not liner. Although yeah, they are great improvements, and warmer. 

post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 

Thanks alot, Ken.  Actually, I was using two very thin socks, but your point is well-taken.  I will from now on use only one.  But nonetheless, it sounds like the new Intutition liners will provide better warmth than the original Solomon liners, right?

post #9 of 18

Is your problem cold feet or boots too tight? Intuition liners may be warm but they could take up more room inside the shell an thus be tighter than your current liners.

 

Forget the thin socks and try a thinner sock liner. You may also need to switch to a thinner footbed which will lower your foot in the boot and give more room for your high instep.

post #10 of 18
What Dano said.

It would help if we go back to the beginning; why two socks? If it was cold feet, there are other ways to address this. Two socks could be causing the other issues too.

If you had two socks because the boots are too big (this can cause cold feet), the boots will remain too big.

Do a shell fit. How's much room is there behind your heel? An Intuition liner might be the perfect thing, but it is best to start with a boot shell that is the right size/fit. The idea with Intuition liners is to haven your foot squeeze out the liner; the liner doesn't expand to fill the voids. They have low, medium and high volume liners but to order the right one, you need to know how much room you have.

Getting an Intuition wrap liner will also add 10-15% stiffness too them based on my basement science experiment. Not so much with the tongue liners like the FX.

If the shell is a good fit, boot gloves are also a very good economical option. They work like a koozies for your feet. Keeps cold cold and warm warm so you need to put them on warm.

There is a ton on this sight about keeping feet warm and it all starts with properly fitting boots.

The more information you provide the more folks here can help.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

Is your problem cold feet or boots too tight? Intuition liners may be warm but they could take up more room inside the shell an thus be tighter than your current liners.

 

Forget the thin socks and try a thinner sock liner. You may also need to switch to a thinner footbed which will lower your foot in the boot and give more room for your high instep.

 

 

Typically, people with high arches need footbeds that will support the shape of their arch, especially if they have limited lateral mobility in their ankle. You may drop the foot 2 -3mm, but we don't know if this is possible given possible fore aft balance issues, the need for posting, etc... but it if the OP has a high arch and high instep, the first prognosis might be away from Salomon boots. Intuition liners also come in different thicknesses, so even here, it's hard to say which he'll need. In the end, without seeing the OP's foot, ankle, and up, it's anyone's guess as to what the actual cause of his problem might be.  My guess is the boots are too big to begin with.

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 

I bought the Intuition liners in the ski shop after a boot fitter heated them.  The combination of the new liner (with the added bonus of extra warmth.... my boots, not my feet, are not the warmest boots in the market) and reducing the tension of the buckles has mitigated (though not eliminated) much of the tingling/numb sensation.  We also put a small rubber doughnut on the top of the instep when the liners were heat-molded that helped (the doughnut was removed after fitting), and, of course, one thin sock rather than two.

post #13 of 18

and just as a side note, a pair of normal thin ski socks, the ones that have a bit of padding on the shin, heel, and instep, won't make your foot a centimeter large. A few mills maybe, but yes, knock off the wearing two pair of socks nonsense! (said in good humor!) smile.gif  Again, instep problems are telling... it sounds like you really need better arch support and or the solly's don't have enough volume for your instep. Good luck though. Hopefully the new liners will help. 

post #14 of 18

Are you buckling that second buckle (the one over the instep -- do you start numbering with 1 at the toe or the cuff)? I have high insteps, too, and I'm generally into my third season in a boot (averaging 50 days/season) before I can even buckle that one at all. I still often unbuckle it on the lift, to let things breathe again.


Various fixes I have used:

 

1. cut plastic chunk out of liner tongue (but I guess that doesn't work for Intuitions),

2. grind down boot board -- although I have a leg length discrepancy and one built-up footbed,  so that gets confusing and we haven't done it in the last couple of pairs-- and

3. swap bails. I noticed that the bails on my Langes were slightly different lengths ... I needed to be able to buckle tighter over the ankle, and looser over the instep, so we put the longer one on the instep buckle and the shorter one on the ankle. That actually worked pretty well. 

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post


Various fixes I have used:

 

1. cut plastic chunk out of liner tongue (but I guess that doesn't work for Intuitions), Have done that too.

2. grind down boot board -- Ditto

3. swap bails. I noticed that the bails on my Langes were slightly different lengths Have moved the buckle, a similar type of fix.

4. Heat moldable liners have helped as well.

 

My arch is sooooo high that I gave in and got the Fischer heat moldable shell boots. Even with the above, the shell just barely closes ( <1cm overlap)  over the arch. It's nice to not have to take the boot off anymore.

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

and just as a side note, a pair of normal thin ski socks, the ones that have a bit of padding on the shin, heel, and instep, won't make your foot a centimeter large. A few mills maybe, but yes, knock off the wearing two pair of socks nonsense! (said in good humor!) smile.gif  Again, instep problems are telling... it sounds like you really need better arch support and or the solly's don't have enough volume for your instep. Good luck though. Hopefully the new liners will help. 

 

Frickin' metric system! 

 

If I was more fluent with it, I would have realized how wrong that is.  I had measured my foot with a very thin ski sock and it was 26.4cm.  I went to the boot fitter and on his sheet, he had my foot at 25.0 but I was barefoot in a Brannock Device.  I'm sure his method was more accurate than mine.  Therefore, I was thinking the difference was 1.4 cm without even thinking how impossible that is.  I measured my foot with and without a sock today and as you stated, it was only a few mills.  I will add however, a few mills is enough to cause issues, especially circulation ones.

 

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for pointing that out.

 

Ken

post #17 of 18

Ditch those extra socks!

post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

Are you buckling that second buckle (the one over the instep -- do you start numbering with 1 at the toe or the cuff)? I have high insteps, too, and I'm generally into my third season in a boot (averaging 50 days/season) before I can even buckle that one at all. I still often unbuckle it on the lift, to let things breathe again.


Various fixes I have used:

 

1. cut plastic chunk out of liner tongue (but I guess that doesn't work for Intuitions),

2. grind down boot board -- although I have a leg length discrepancy and one built-up footbed,  so that gets confusing and we haven't done it in the last couple of pairs-- and

3. swap bails. I noticed that the bails on my Langes were slightly different lengths ... I needed to be able to buckle tighter over the ankle, and looser over the instep, so we put the longer one on the instep buckle and the shorter one on the ankle. That actually worked pretty well. 

4. Nordica Ratchet Extender. Made for the third or forth buckle (on the cuff) but could be used on other buckles. It is essentially a bale attached to the grooved part of a buckle.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Boot Liners for Numb Feet?