- 15,041 Posts. Joined 7/2005
- Location: Whitefish
- Select All Posts By This User
- itemAltatagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemBig Skytagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemBig Whitetagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemBridger Bowltagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemBrightontagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemDeer Valley Resorttagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemGore Mountaintagged by System, 11/18/12
- itemHeavenlytagged by System, 11/17/12
- topicIntermediate Skierstagged by System, 1/14/13
- itemOkemo Mountaintagged by System, 11/18/12More
- itemPark City Mountain Resorttagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemSilver Star Mountaintagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemSnowbasintagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemSteamboat Ski Resorttagged by System, 11/20/12
- itemStowetagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemStratton Mountaintagged by System, 11/18/12
- itemSugarbushtagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemSun Peakstagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemSun Valley Resorttagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemVail Resorttagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemWhitefish Mountain Resorttagged by System, 11/17/12
Related Forum Threads
- Outside Magazine’s 2012 Ski Resort Rankings Last post on 11/7/12 at 7:44am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- SKI Magazine Resort Survey Results, 2012-2013 Last post on 3/2/13 at 1:25pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Most Disappointing/Surprising Ski Resorts Last post on 5/9/14 at 9:45am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Does it make any sense for an intermediate New England groomer skier to venture somewhere out... Last post on 4/30/15 at 6:22am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Resort Signature Runs Last post on 4/18/14 at 9:16am in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- A Brief History of Alpine SkiingLast edited: 2/13/17
- EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 3Last edited: 1/19/17
- EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 2Last edited: 1/20/17
- EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 1Last edited: 1/19/17
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
I went to Maverick the day after a day at Big Sky and what a dramatic difference. As opposed to Big Sky's massive area (which seemed to me to ski much smaller than its size), hard skier packed...
Easily the best hill (let's not get crazy calling these mountains) in Minnesota. It's fairly spread out across four separate hills (though, I'd call them two). There's a gondola that connects the...
Best intermediates skiing west? Best intermediates skiing northeast? Best groomed terrain west? Best groomed terrain northeast? - Page 5post #121 of 1272/1/13 at 9:31pmYou could email them and ask, but they used to - not sure these days - give discounts to anyone with a season pass from another areas, in or out of state, and that discount was equal to the price of add half day ticket. Which is higher than that Costco price.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #122 of 1272/1/13 at 10:20pmThread Starter
Well, if cost ends up being an issue...can't afford expensive airfare, no affordable lodging for single travelers, no discounted lift tickets...there is always Jay Peak and Sugarloaf - both far enough north to ward off any crazy early spring weather...and would be the first time skiing both places. Probably couldn't go wrong with that.post #123 of 1272/3/13 at 10:54pm
for groomed trails in the east: stratton,killington, and okemo. gore is nicer than them in my opinion but stratton has the nicest groomed runs, and okemo has a lot of intermediate trails. stowe maybe as well, but I haven't skied there.post #124 of 1272/19/13 at 7:26ampost #125 of 1272/19/13 at 8:14am
I know most people feel that Summit County is too touristy, but I actually think it fits the bill nicely. I think that Keystone is an outstanding intermediate mountain (especially the North Peak and the Outback areas) with Copper Mountain being decent as well. I'm not crazy about Vail for a number of reasons as I find that the size alone is a bit troublesome and most of the blue runs are either short or of the staircase variety (nice downhill followed by a flat strech followed by a downhill followed by a flat stretch).
But, a stay in Dillon gets you nice and close to Keystone, Copper Mountain, Beaver Creek, Arapahoe Basin, Vail and Breckenridge (which I like in that order), all of which should have plenty of snow in March.post #126 of 1272/19/13 at 8:34am
I think all "once in a lifetime" ski trips are setup to disappoint. Weather can turn any "best" resort into a mediocro one or vice versa.
Unless, that is, you set a low enough standard to account for the condition. In that case, any good size mountain will do perfectly fine.
Then, hunt down the deal you can stomach and go.
All this best this best that is just part of the process of setting up to be disappointed... "I wonder if I should have gone to that other place for a couple hundred extra instead..."
- Best intermediates skiing west? Best intermediates skiing northeast? Best groomed terrain west? Best groomed terrain northeast?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- A Brief History of Alpine Skiing
- › Lindsey Vonn 41 seconds ago
- › Rossignol SOUL 7's edge damage not warranteed 58 seconds ago
- › How to get a razor edge? 8 minutes ago
- › Wachusett Conditions and get togethers 21 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 34 minutes ago
- › Mountain Collective 17/18 is out 35 minutes ago
- › Why don't more people carve? (started in "Ski Softly" thread) 45 minutes ago
- › Mammoth Mountain for 2016-2017 47 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD,... 47 minutes ago
- › Need a VERY flexy ski for a while... 47 minutes ago
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › Mt. Baker by jhkc
- › Manning Park Resort by davidykay
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview
- › Fan Traverse Drill
- › Complete Ski Packages - Skip the Rental Line!