- 14,504 Posts. Joined 7/2005
- Location: Whitefish
- Select All Posts By This User
- itemAltatagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemBig Skytagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemBig Whitetagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemBridger Bowltagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemBrightontagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemDeer Valley Resorttagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemGore Mountaintagged by System, 11/18/12
- itemHeavenlytagged by System, 11/17/12
- topicIntermediate Skierstagged by System, 1/14/13
- itemOkemo Mountaintagged by System, 11/18/12More
- itemPark City Mountain Resorttagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemSilver Star Mountaintagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemSnowbasintagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemSteamboat Ski Resorttagged by System, 11/20/12
- itemStowetagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemStratton Mountaintagged by System, 11/18/12
- itemSugarbushtagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemSun Peakstagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemSun Valley Resorttagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemVail Resorttagged by System, 11/17/12
- itemWhitefish Mountain Resorttagged by System, 11/17/12
Related Forum Threads
- Outside Magazine’s 2012 Ski Resort Rankings Last post on 11/7/12 at 7:44am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- SKI Magazine Resort Survey Results, 2012-2013 Last post on 3/2/13 at 1:25pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Most Disappointing/Surprising Ski Resorts Last post on 5/9/14 at 9:45am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Does it make any sense for an intermediate New England groomer skier to venture somewhere out... Last post on 4/30/15 at 6:22am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Resort Signature Runs Last post on 4/18/14 at 9:16am in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- EpicSki Interview with James NiehuesLast edited: 9/14/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
- Unofficial Guide to STOWELast edited: 6/20/16
- Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...Last edited: 1/8/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Best intermediates skiing west? Best intermediates skiing northeast? Best groomed terrain west? Best groomed terrain northeast? - Page 5post #121 of 1272/1/13 at 9:31pmYou could email them and ask, but they used to - not sure these days - give discounts to anyone with a season pass from another areas, in or out of state, and that discount was equal to the price of add half day ticket. Which is higher than that Costco price.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #122 of 1272/1/13 at 10:20pmThread Starter
Well, if cost ends up being an issue...can't afford expensive airfare, no affordable lodging for single travelers, no discounted lift tickets...there is always Jay Peak and Sugarloaf - both far enough north to ward off any crazy early spring weather...and would be the first time skiing both places. Probably couldn't go wrong with that.post #123 of 1272/3/13 at 10:54pm
for groomed trails in the east: stratton,killington, and okemo. gore is nicer than them in my opinion but stratton has the nicest groomed runs, and okemo has a lot of intermediate trails. stowe maybe as well, but I haven't skied there.post #124 of 1272/19/13 at 7:26ampost #125 of 1272/19/13 at 8:14am
I know most people feel that Summit County is too touristy, but I actually think it fits the bill nicely. I think that Keystone is an outstanding intermediate mountain (especially the North Peak and the Outback areas) with Copper Mountain being decent as well. I'm not crazy about Vail for a number of reasons as I find that the size alone is a bit troublesome and most of the blue runs are either short or of the staircase variety (nice downhill followed by a flat strech followed by a downhill followed by a flat stretch).
But, a stay in Dillon gets you nice and close to Keystone, Copper Mountain, Beaver Creek, Arapahoe Basin, Vail and Breckenridge (which I like in that order), all of which should have plenty of snow in March.post #126 of 1272/19/13 at 8:34am
I think all "once in a lifetime" ski trips are setup to disappoint. Weather can turn any "best" resort into a mediocro one or vice versa.
Unless, that is, you set a low enough standard to account for the condition. In that case, any good size mountain will do perfectly fine.
Then, hunt down the deal you can stomach and go.
All this best this best that is just part of the process of setting up to be disappointed... "I wonder if I should have gone to that other place for a couple hundred extra instead..."
- Best intermediates skiing west? Best intermediates skiing northeast? Best groomed terrain west? Best groomed terrain northeast?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › Bomberskiclinic stowe / Alta lodge powder tracks 48 seconds ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 3 minutes ago
- › Instructor recommendation for Stratton 32 minutes ago
- › Saving boots for another kid 35 minutes ago
- › Another What ski/size question, with a twist... 43 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 44 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 59 minutes ago
- › Telluride March 11-18 2017 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer