EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Vail, Beaver Creek, Snowmass public transportation & lodging
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vail, Beaver Creek, Snowmass public transportation & lodging

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

I am researching a possible 4-night 3-skiing days trip for me in that area, along with several other resorts for which I'll post separately. According to their bus system, they have transportation between Vail and Beaver Creek, but don't have transportation to Snowmass. Is Snowmass too far in another direction, and how far in case I decide to get a taxi? If it's too far, then I suppose I'll do 2 days at Vail and 1 at Beaver Creek.

 

Also, regarding lodging, the cheapest I found was Super 8 motel at Leadville, for $66/night which seems pretty low for the Vail surrounding, but I'd be willing to go even cheaper if anyone knows of anything else.

post #2 of 20

I'm not an expert, but I think Snowmass is actually pretty far from Vail/Beaver. You wouldn't do them together on the same short trip. Well, you could, but not ideal.

 

I know there are bus routes around Vail/Beaver. Not sure of the extent though, will leave to the experts.

post #3 of 20

Snowmass is about 100 miles from Vail. Don't think you would want to take a taxi. Another option for would be to stay in Glenwood Springs, which is about halfway in-between and has less expensive lodging, but think you would need a car. Also thinbk you would want a car in Leadville.

post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesX521 View Post

I am researching a possible 4-night 3-skiing days trip for me in that area, along with several other resorts for which I'll post separately. According to their bus system, they have transportation between Vail and Beaver Creek, but don't have transportation to Snowmass. Is Snowmass too far in another direction, and how far in case I decide to get a taxi? If it's too far, then I suppose I'll do 2 days at Vail and 1 at Beaver Creek.

 

Also, regarding lodging, the cheapest I found was Super 8 motel at Leadville, for $66/night which seems pretty low for the Vail surrounding, but I'd be willing to go even cheaper if anyone knows of anything else.

 

To echo what Bill said, it’s 2 hours to Snowmass, is it essential for you to ski there? Vail and BC have enough terrain to keep you busy for 100 days, there’s no reason to rush through those places…

 

Also, Leadville is 35 miles from Vail Village, do you want to deal with a 70 mile commute each day on your vacation? Your call, but I wouldn’t recommend it, especially since Leadville is at 10,200 ft. You’ll be huffing and puffing up there.

 

I know you want to do a cheap vacation, but Vail and BC are some of the nicest ski resorts in the country, cheap doesn’t exist anywhere near those spots. If you’re trying to pinch pennies and want a more affordable option, look at lodging in Silverthorne and Dillon and stick with the free shuttles to Keystone and Breckenridge. 

post #5 of 20

Snowmass is over in the Roaring Fork Valley, which is down 70 to Glenwood and then turning south onto 82 towards Aspen.  Its about a hour and a half drive (or more depending on conditions) from Vail.

 

Leadville is a decent drive away from Vail too, and off the I70 corridor.  Check out Avon or Edwards for something a bit closer and still on the free bus routes.  Leadville is a "premium" route so it costs money, similarly you can check out Eagle for cheaper lodging, also on the "premium" route but still on I70.

 

If you plan to stay that far out, I'd suggest a car.  If you're wanting to hit Vail/BC and Snowmass, find a place along I70 towards the west of Beaver Creek to put yourself in a better position to reach both.

 

Edit to echo what CoBillsFan said: Leadville is 10k feet, really really high elevation.  Going down valley to Eagle (6600ft) or Glenwood (5500ft) might be a better choice.  Also sticking with Summit county and Dillion/Frisco is also a good option. 

post #6 of 20

Last January I stayed at Comfort Inn, Avon, CO for $59 per night using priceline.  It's across the street from shuttle bus stop for free 3mile ride to Beaver Creek.  Worked out really well.  Nice motel with outdoor hot tub and good free breakfast bar.

post #7 of 20

I wouldn`t stay in Leadville and I wouldn`t make Snowmass part of a 3 ski day Vail/BC trip (unless you had free lodging in someplace like Eagle).  Like James said, Avon would be a good place to stay- also check out airbnb.com or even craigslist for Vail deals if you are open to staying in somebodies guest room.  Ski Snowmass as part of an Aspen trip.

 

Vail has a very good free bus system with very frequent service within the resort area and regular service to the surrounding areas (like West and East Vail).  There is also Eagle county bus service, but I believe there is a charge between Vail and BC.

post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 

Ok, Snowmass is out of the way then. I am researching Avon and Edwards for lodging options. These cheaper hotel options don't seem to be selling lift tickets either. On Liftopia it looks like 3-day skiing will be massive $240! I'll use only public transportation and shared shuttle ride to/from airport... no car rentals... though, it looks like flying to Eagle County (EGE) could be actually cheaper than flying to Denver and riding a shuttle.

post #9 of 20

The drive from Leadville to Vail is scenic in the summer but can be quite exciting in the winter.  There are sharp curves and if you go off it is several hundred feet to the first bounce. 

post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 

MEfree30, thanks, that's a good site with good prices.

post #11 of 20

Your only problem with Vail,  transportation from DEN on CME, will cost at least as much as a rental car.

 

If you really only want to use free public transportation,  you'd be better off flying into ASE.

 

Either way, there will be lot's of cheaper places to go.

post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesX521 View Post

Ok, Snowmass is out of the way then. I am researching Avon and Edwards for lodging options. These cheaper hotel options don't seem to be selling lift tickets either. On Liftopia it looks like 3-day skiing will be massive $240! I'll use only public transportation and shared shuttle ride to/from airport... no car rentals... though, it looks like flying to Eagle County (EGE) could be actually cheaper than flying to Denver and riding a shuttle.

 

Considering you’re getting 7000 acres with great snowfall and high speed lifts everywhere, $240 isn’t that bad…

post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

Your only problem with Vail,  transportation from DEN on CME, will cost at least as much as a rental car.

 

If you really only want to use free public transportation,  you'd be better off flying into ASE.

 

Either way, there will be lot's of cheaper places to go.

I am researching flying to (EGE), Eagle, CO... (ASE) Aspen is too far away.

post #14 of 20

The only way using public transportation to/from Vail and Beaver Creek is the eagle county bus system and there is a cost, IIRC, it is like $4 one way. Now to catch the Beaver Creek Bus, you have to get to the main bus terminal which is located at Vail Village. Now I'm not sure where you are dropped off but you would most likely have to get off the county bus in Avon at the Bear parking lot and switch over to the Beaver Creek shuttle bus

 

Here's a link to the PDF schedules for eagle county  http://www.eaglecounty.us/transit/schedules/,  Look at the Hwy 6 schedules, probably the best route.

 

Now the big thing for you is to figure out how close you can afford to these pickup dropoff spots.

post #15 of 20

You would just stay in Aspen/Snowmass.  All transportation would be free, even the bus from the airport.

You will have to pay CME from either airport for Vail.

 

Are you aware that VR sells 200,000 epic passes a year and that on a big weekend Vail will see 25,000+ days?

If you have an Epic pass great.  But why anyone else would pay full price to ski there is beyond me.

 

Reno or SLC will be your cheapest options.

post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesX521 View Post

I am researching flying to (EGE), Eagle, CO... (ASE) Aspen is too far away.

too far if you are skiing Vail/BC, but perfect if you want to ski Aspen/Snowmass...not sure if the free Aspen bus stops at the airport- maybe across the street??

 

Also not sure about bus vs CME type shuttle service from EGE?

post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 

Ok, thanks everyone. Looks like things are more clear to me now; it's just a matter of booking the trip.

post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

You would just stay in Aspen/Snowmass.  All transportation would be free, even the bus from the airport.

You will have to pay CME from either airport for Vail.

 

Are you aware that VR sells 200,000 epic passes a year and that on a big weekend Vail will see 25,000+ days?

If you have an Epic pass great.  But why anyone else would pay full price to ski there is beyond me.

 

Reno or SLC will be your cheapest options.

These passes are for people who can ski a lot more. I have only 3 days of skiing, so the $240 is my only option (from the Vail site). And I'll look on eBay to see if there are any other deals too.

post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesX521 View Post

These passes are for people who can ski a lot more. I have only 3 days of skiing, so the $240 is my only option (from the Vail site). And I'll look on eBay to see if there are any other deals too.

$240 is a very good deal.  Vail doesn't usually discount their lift tickets (much), and the day rate is $105.  So I'd be happy with that rate.

 

Mike

post #20 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post

$240 is a very good deal.  Vail doesn't usually discount their lift tickets (much), and the day rate is $105.  So I'd be happy with that rate.

 

Mike

Oh, I forgot to check the dates. It's actually $294 in early January for 3 days skiing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Vail, Beaver Creek, Snowmass public transportation & lodging