- 12 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- brandAlpine Meadowstagged by System, 10/25/12
- itemAlpine Meadows Ski Resorttagged by System, 12/28/12
- itemHomewood Mountain Resorttagged by System, 10/25/12
- itemMt. Rose - Ski Tahoetagged by System, 10/25/12
- itemNorthstar-at-Tahoetagged by System, 10/25/12
- itemSquaw Valley USAtagged by System, 10/25/12
- itemSugar Bowl Resorttagged by System, 10/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- Spending Christmas in Sacramento Last post on 10/23/13 at 12:38pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- ski lake tahoe - day tix for up to 8 resorts for $329 Last post on 7/14/13 at 1:47am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2012 / 13 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Thread Last post on 9/9/13 at 5:07pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Resorts near San Fran [family trip from New Zealand] Last post on 9/24/14 at 6:45pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2013 / 14 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Last post on 9/26/14 at 11:05am in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A PictorialLast edited: 9/21/13
- Northstar California Unofficial GuideLast edited: 10/16/13
- Sugar Bowl, CA - A PictorialLast edited: 10/14/13
- Squaw Valley Unofficial GuideLast edited: 7/17/15
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
I went to Maverick the day after a day at Big Sky and what a dramatic difference. As opposed to Big Sky's massive area (which seemed to me to ski much smaller than its size), hard skier packed...
Lake Tahoe skiingpost #1 of 1010/24/12 at 11:12amThread StarterI am thinking of staying for 7 nights at the Northstar at Tahoe Resort in January or February. How easy is it to get to Squaw Valley, Heavenly, and Kirkwood from this location in the mornings. I definitely would want to hit up Squaw and Heavenly but not sure if it is worth the drive from this location. Please provide information on if staying at Northstar and driving to Squaw and Heavenly makes sense.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1010/24/12 at 11:52am
Squaw is less than half an hour. The others are longer. Google maps is your friend. Keep in mind that on a powder day there will be serious traffic so you'll need to leave early to beat the crowds.post #3 of 1010/24/12 at 11:54am
If you are staying at Northstar AND have a car then it takes about 20-30 min to get to Squaw/Alpine thru Truckee (don't go thru Kings Beach since you'll might face chain control over the Brokeway summit).
Heavenly is way longer drive - you will have most likely to drive around the lake clockwise. It takes about an hour from NS.
Add another 45min for Kirkwood.
post #4 of 1010/24/12 at 12:04pmpost #5 of 1010/24/12 at 10:38pm
Sucker for the marketing, eh? I've been thinking that Northstar has been pouring on the charm in the marketing department this past year. I've found myself wanting to go there and then have to ask why after not really wanting to go there at any point in the last 5 years. I think it's the marketing.... and that ridiculously plush Hotel Ritz.post #6 of 1010/24/12 at 11:23pm
I concur with JayT, cfr and SHREDHEAD. Also, I would verify exactly where you're staying. There are a number of confusingly named properties at Northstar and they are not all of the same quality.post #7 of 1010/25/12 at 5:29amQuote:Originally Posted by sbenge27
I am thinking of staying for 7 nights at the Northstar at Tahoe Resort in January or February. How easy is it to get to Squaw Valley, Heavenly, and Kirkwood from this location in the mornings. I definitely would want to hit up Squaw and Heavenly but not sure if it is worth the drive from this location. Please provide information on if staying at Northstar and driving to Squaw and Heavenly makes sense.
Are you going alone or with a group? Staying at Northstar near the lifts is great for families with kids, or groups with a range of abilities. Has the advantage of lower chance of lift closing during a major storm.
Where else have you skied in the Rockies?
Given the number of places to choose from around north Tahoe, I can't think of a reason to drive to Heavenly until you just want to see the view from the south side. Can also get very nice views from Homewood. Homewood can be a good place to go on a weekend. But need to get there early to get into the parking lot. Meaning 30-45 min before the lifts start up.post #8 of 1010/25/12 at 7:06am
Yup, if you are staying at Northstar, stay on the north side of the lake. You can ski Northstar, Squaw, Alpine Meadows, Sugarbowl Homewood and even Mt. Rose. No need to go all the way to Heavenly or Kirkwood, yo will have plenty of great skiing w/in 30 min. As far as timing of the trip, the later the better. January historically is the driest month in Tahoe, March the snowiest and February, anything goes.post #9 of 1011/10/12 at 4:01pm
Is there any way to get between Heavenly and Kirkwood without renting a car? Specifically, are there any shuttles that run between them?
If not, what's that ride like? Will I need four wheel drive with snow tires or chains to get over any passes or anything like that?
Thankspost #10 of 1011/28/12 at 8:50pm
There are shuttles that run between the casinos/lodging on the south shore and both resorts so no car is needed.
Depending on your lodging the shuttle will pick you up right downstairs.
We stayed at Lakeland Village and had no need to use the car the whole time we were there.
- Lake Tahoe skiing
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A Pictorial
- › Tips for beginners over 40 or 50 or . . . 9 minutes ago
- › Can you please comment on my skiing? 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Western Gathering 2017 Trip Report - Whistler Blackcomb 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › Before and after 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › Side/base angles: please explain, thanks 1 hour, 46 minutes ago
- › Spring vacation trip ideas, for a family with beginners,... 3 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › How much wax does everyone use? 4 hours, 38 minutes ago
- › 2016/17 PNW thread: news, weather, anecdotes, history, gossip and... 6 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Mountain Collective 17/18 is out 6 hours, 23 minutes ago
- › Hip Rotation in second half of turn 7 hours ago
- › Big Sky by oldgoat
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › Mt. Baker by jhkc
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview