- 12 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- brandAlpine Meadowstagged by System, 10/25/12
- itemAlpine Meadows Ski Resorttagged by System, 12/28/12
- itemHomewood Mountain Resorttagged by System, 10/25/12
- itemMt. Rose - Ski Tahoetagged by System, 10/25/12
- itemNorthstar-at-Tahoetagged by System, 10/25/12
- itemSquaw Valley USAtagged by System, 10/25/12
- itemSugar Bowl Resorttagged by System, 10/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- Spending Christmas in Sacramento Last post on 10/23/13 at 12:38pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- ski lake tahoe - day tix for up to 8 resorts for $329 Last post on 7/14/13 at 1:47am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2012 / 13 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Thread Last post on 9/9/13 at 5:07pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Resorts near San Fran [family trip from New Zealand] Last post on 9/24/14 at 6:45pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2013 / 14 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Last post on 9/26/14 at 11:05am in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A PictorialLast edited: 9/21/13
- Northstar California Unofficial GuideLast edited: 10/16/13
- Sugar Bowl, CA - A PictorialLast edited: 10/14/13
- Squaw Valley Unofficial GuideLast edited: 7/17/15
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Lake Tahoe skiingpost #1 of 1010/24/12 at 11:12amThread StarterI am thinking of staying for 7 nights at the Northstar at Tahoe Resort in January or February. How easy is it to get to Squaw Valley, Heavenly, and Kirkwood from this location in the mornings. I definitely would want to hit up Squaw and Heavenly but not sure if it is worth the drive from this location. Please provide information on if staying at Northstar and driving to Squaw and Heavenly makes sense.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1010/24/12 at 11:52am
Squaw is less than half an hour. The others are longer. Google maps is your friend. Keep in mind that on a powder day there will be serious traffic so you'll need to leave early to beat the crowds.post #3 of 1010/24/12 at 11:54am
If you are staying at Northstar AND have a car then it takes about 20-30 min to get to Squaw/Alpine thru Truckee (don't go thru Kings Beach since you'll might face chain control over the Brokeway summit).
Heavenly is way longer drive - you will have most likely to drive around the lake clockwise. It takes about an hour from NS.
Add another 45min for Kirkwood.
post #4 of 1010/24/12 at 12:04pmpost #5 of 1010/24/12 at 10:38pm
Sucker for the marketing, eh? I've been thinking that Northstar has been pouring on the charm in the marketing department this past year. I've found myself wanting to go there and then have to ask why after not really wanting to go there at any point in the last 5 years. I think it's the marketing.... and that ridiculously plush Hotel Ritz.post #6 of 1010/24/12 at 11:23pm
I concur with JayT, cfr and SHREDHEAD. Also, I would verify exactly where you're staying. There are a number of confusingly named properties at Northstar and they are not all of the same quality.post #7 of 1010/25/12 at 5:29amQuote:Originally Posted by sbenge27
I am thinking of staying for 7 nights at the Northstar at Tahoe Resort in January or February. How easy is it to get to Squaw Valley, Heavenly, and Kirkwood from this location in the mornings. I definitely would want to hit up Squaw and Heavenly but not sure if it is worth the drive from this location. Please provide information on if staying at Northstar and driving to Squaw and Heavenly makes sense.
Are you going alone or with a group? Staying at Northstar near the lifts is great for families with kids, or groups with a range of abilities. Has the advantage of lower chance of lift closing during a major storm.
Where else have you skied in the Rockies?
Given the number of places to choose from around north Tahoe, I can't think of a reason to drive to Heavenly until you just want to see the view from the south side. Can also get very nice views from Homewood. Homewood can be a good place to go on a weekend. But need to get there early to get into the parking lot. Meaning 30-45 min before the lifts start up.post #8 of 1010/25/12 at 7:06am
Yup, if you are staying at Northstar, stay on the north side of the lake. You can ski Northstar, Squaw, Alpine Meadows, Sugarbowl Homewood and even Mt. Rose. No need to go all the way to Heavenly or Kirkwood, yo will have plenty of great skiing w/in 30 min. As far as timing of the trip, the later the better. January historically is the driest month in Tahoe, March the snowiest and February, anything goes.post #9 of 1011/10/12 at 4:01pm
Is there any way to get between Heavenly and Kirkwood without renting a car? Specifically, are there any shuttles that run between them?
If not, what's that ride like? Will I need four wheel drive with snow tires or chains to get over any passes or anything like that?
Thankspost #10 of 1011/28/12 at 8:50pm
There are shuttles that run between the casinos/lodging on the south shore and both resorts so no car is needed.
Depending on your lodging the shuttle will pick you up right downstairs.
We stayed at Lakeland Village and had no need to use the car the whole time we were there.
- Lake Tahoe skiing
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A Pictorial
- › 2017 CRV with 1.5l turbo? 43 seconds ago
- › Decision '17: Whistler or Alta/Bird? 1 minute ago
- › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab 3 minutes ago
- › First Time Buying Skis and Boots - Do It All Together? 12 minutes ago
- › What Should our FEET FEEL? 22 minutes ago
- › Beginner boots rent vs buying + ski/walk mode 37 minutes ago
- › North American snow watch 2016- snow reports needed! 45 minutes ago
- › Bode News 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › What's your ski trip rig? Lets see some pictures! 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 1 hour, 35 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer