or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Ski Poles-Made in America?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski Poles-Made in America?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

Hi, I have recently become really big into trying to buy everything I can from America, not China. Does anyone know if there are companies/factories, located right here in America that make ski poles? If so, where?  

post #2 of 27

The only one I know of it the Easton Company (http://eastonmountainproducts.com/). They used to make Reflex poles, but I think they only make trekking poles now.

post #3 of 27

Isn't Goode all in Ogden UT now?

post #4 of 27

GOODE is indeed HQed in Utah, but that doesn't mean their products are manufactured there. Soul Poles is in Park City, but I don't know where they source the bamboo for their poles. 

 

The whole idea of buying "American" is pretty crazy to me, since we can't live in an economic vacuum.  What we lose in manufacturing we gain back in exporting services and having lower inflation.  When foreign stuff is sold or manufactured here, domestic jobs are created.  Besides, an American made ski will likely have components sourced in several countries even if it is assembled domestically (European bases and edges, Asian glue, domestic or Asian wood cores, etc.).  The same goes for poles.  I seriously doubt anyone manufactures a pole with the straps, shafts (carbon or aluminum), tips, paint, baskets, etc. all sourced in the good 'ole USA.

 

Take this car.  The leather seats came from Mexico, it has an Italian design, the electronics come from Germany, the steel was rolled in Sweden, the wipers were made in Asia, and it is driven by a gaper:


Edited by quant2325 - 10/25/12 at 1:33pm
post #5 of 27

Soul Poles...I just bought a pair

 

 

http://www.soulpoles.com/our-poles/index.php

post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post

GOODE is indeed HQed in Utah, but that doesn't mean their products are manufactured there.

 

http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/15647/goode-skis-manufacturing-comes-home-from-china-to-ogden  seemed pretty clear to me.

post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post

 

http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/15647/goode-skis-manufacturing-comes-home-from-china-to-ogden  seemed pretty clear to me.

The article says the ski pole maunfacturing will remain in China.  Speaking of UT companies, I believe RAMP brought all their presses to UT so they can manufacture there, too.

post #8 of 27

Hi! Yes there absolutely are ski poles made in USA. They are made in northern Michigan by The United States Ski Pole Company. They are 100% carbon fiber and have the two lightest models available in the world. You can see them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/United-States-Ski-Pole-Company/1375046336072452 .  Hope this helps! Enjoy.

post #9 of 27

I'd rather buy from my neighbors that someone living half way around the world if I can in any event. I'd rather by small/craft/local then big/mass/afar too. 

 

It's not that had to find everything you need pretty locally, but perhaps not everything you want…..

post #10 of 27

United States Ski Pole Company! They are on Facebook.

post #11 of 27

Zipline is in Baltimore.   I don't know where they do the carbon molding.   They have managed to get US Freestyle team cred.

http://www.ziplineski.com/

post #12 of 27

Here is why more are not made in the USA:  When you can import poles for a few bucks each, why manufacture here?  A basic ski pole is simply a $1.50 golf shaft with a $0.25 basket a $1.00 grip plus shipping.  Golf shafts have to have decent tolerances involving weight and frequency matching, but for skiers better tolerances don't matter. Alibaba.com has the bulk pricing (the link doesn't work after posting it here).

post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post
 

Here is why more are not made in the USA:  When you can import poles for a few bucks each, why manufacture here?  A basic ski pole is simply a $1.50 golf shaft with a $0.25 basket a $1.00 grip plus shipping.  Golf shafts have to have decent tolerances involving weight and frequency matching, but for skiers better tolerances don't matter. Alibaba.com has the bulk pricing (the link doesn't work after posting it here).

I fully understand your point about a global economy, but if someone else states that they want to buy 'local' why do you feel the need to poo-poo their wishes?? You are not wrong to not think twice about where a product is manufactured, assembled, shipped from... not wrong at all. Someone that does care about supporting local business, carbon footprint, American jobs, well, that is perfectly okay too (in fact, many of us think it's more okay than your viewpoint... but that's the wrong way to feel). Spend your $$ how you feel best and let others do the same.

 

(what I'm trying to say is: OP had a question, you are not helping anyone by inserting your philosophic beliefs, that do not align with his/her question, into the thread.) It's this need to comment when opinion isn't asked for that makes the internet useless for anything other than looking for whimsical cat pictures or pornography.

post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

I fully understand your point about a global economy, but if someone else states that they want to buy 'local' why do you feel the need to poo-poo their wishes?? You are not wrong to not think twice about where a product is manufactured, assembled, shipped from... not wrong at all. Someone that does care about supporting local business, carbon footprint, American jobs, well, that is perfectly okay too (in fact, many of us think it's more okay than your viewpoint... but that's the wrong way to feel). Spend your $$ how you feel best and let others do the same.

 

(what I'm trying to say is: OP had a question, you are not helping anyone by inserting your philosophic beliefs, that do not align with his/her question, into the thread.) It's this need to comment when opinion isn't asked for that makes the internet useless for anything other than looking for whimsical cat pictures or pornography.


I posted after doing an extensive Internet search looking for poles manufactured in the USA.  The search started with the original poles manufacturers going back before True Temper.  I looked at everything recent, including Royal Shaft and others with innovative graphics (my wife has a pair with their "Leopard" graphics). I found great Nordic companies including one in Canada.  Almost nothing actually manufactured the USA was found.  There has to be a reason why this is so, and I published it.  The margins are too high due to the overseas labor costs.  This is not a "philosophic belief" since I too attempt to buy local (which means supporting guys like you if I were a neighbor).  I also believe a lot of these emerging markets where stuff is made will have problems, since they over invested, but that is another story.  I guess you have experience looking at cat pictures and pornography?  

post #15 of 27

Another option -  http://www.pandapoles.com

 

Non-US materials, but as pointed out above, you probably need to assume that.

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post
 

  I guess you have experience looking at cat pictures and pornography?  

I'm not really a cat fan. (but I am funny as f**k)

post #17 of 27

For all long time maybe since the mid 80s most Aluminum ski poles were made (maybe at one factory) in Italy. Is this still true? Or were the ski poles made in one Region of Italy? like when almost all ski boots were all made in the Montebelluna region.

post #18 of 27

I go one step further and buy only locally sourced poles--the aluminum or carbon has to be mined (do they mine carbon--I guess it must come from coal) within 100 miles, the oil that the plastic straps and grips has to be pumped within 100 miles, and of course all processing and assembly within 100 miles. I haven't actually found such poles but I keep looking (See thread-"Skiing without poles".)

post #19 of 27
+1 on https://soulpoles.com - build your own at their shop in Park City, in their tour van when it hits your town, or online at their site.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortski View Post

+1 on https://soulpoles.com - build your own at their shop in Park City, in their tour van when it hits your town, or online at their site.

Hope your baskets lasted better than mine, run 2 broke 1 , they sent replacements , went to Alta in April dat 2-8 both broken, tried to contact , Phone , email no response, retrofitted with Leki powder baskets, see how it goes. good luck love to here how you make out.

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad J View Post
 
 retrofitted with Leki powder baskets, see how it goes. good luck love to here how you make out.

 

Leki powder baskets or Leki Deep Powder Baskets (the almost 5 inches across ones)?

post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

 

Leki powder baskets or Leki Deep Powder Baskets (the almost 5 inches across ones)?

They measure almost 4" bought them at REI $12 I think

post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post
 


I posted after doing an extensive Internet search looking for poles manufactured in the USA.  The search started with the original poles manufacturers going back before True Temper.  I looked at everything recent, including Royal Shaft and others with innovative graphics (my wife has a pair with their "Leopard" graphics). I found great Nordic companies including one in Canada.  Almost nothing actually manufactured the USA was found.  There has to be a reason why this is so, and I published it.  The margins are too high due to the overseas labor costs.  This is not a "philosophic belief" since I too attempt to buy local (which means supporting guys like you if I were a neighbor).  I also believe a lot of these emerging markets where stuff is made will have problems, since they over invested, but that is another story.  I guess you have experience looking at cat pictures and pornography?  


I would like to comment on your "extensive research." You did not once mention the upcoming company USSPC. They are located right here in north America, supporting over 120 American jobs. Not only that, but they come in at lower price than any made in China pole (Swix, Start, One Way, Fischer, Rossignol, Exel, Leki, Yoko, Salomon etc..), are more lightweight (they had that stuff tested at an accredited facility in Sweden!), AND include a 2-year warranty. 

 

Here, I even found their video for you... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvhiE-gebeo

 

Enjoy :)

post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordtheBarbarian View Post
 

For all long time maybe since the mid 80s most Aluminum ski poles were made (maybe at one factory) in Italy. Is this still true? Or were the ski poles made in one Region of Italy? like when almost all ski boots were all made in the Montebelluna region.


This factory has since burned down :(

post #25 of 27

What do you think about interchangeable baskets?        http://www.usskipoles.com/products/accessories/baskets-tips/rollerski-tips

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad J View Post
 

Hope your baskets lasted better than mine, run 2 broke 1 , they sent replacements , went to Alta in April dat 2-8 both broken, tried to contact , Phone , email no response, retrofitted with Leki powder baskets, see how it goes. good luck love to here how you make out.

post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfaith90 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post
 


I posted after doing an extensive Internet search looking for poles manufactured in the USA.  The search started with the original poles manufacturers going back before True Temper.  I looked at everything recent, including Royal Shaft and others with innovative graphics (my wife has a pair with their "Leopard" graphics). I found great Nordic companies including one in Canada.  Almost nothing actually manufactured the USA was found.  There has to be a reason why this is so, and I published it.  The margins are too high due to the overseas labor costs.  This is not a "philosophic belief" since I too attempt to buy local (which means supporting guys like you if I were a neighbor).  I also believe a lot of these emerging markets where stuff is made will have problems, since they over invested, but that is another story.  I guess you have experience looking at cat pictures and pornography?  


I would like to comment on your "extensive research." You did not once mention the upcoming company USSPC. They are located right here in north America, supporting over 120 American jobs. Not only that, but they come in at lower price than any made in China pole (Swix, Start, One Way, Fischer, Rossignol, Exel, Leki, Yoko, Salomon etc..), are more lightweight (they had that stuff tested at an accredited facility in Sweden!), AND include a 2-year warranty. 

 

Here, I even found their video for you... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvhiE-gebeo

 

Enjoy :)



No alpine poles on the website?

post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 



No alpine poles on the website?


Just nordic skiing at this time!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Ski Poles-Made in America?