EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Did I miss out on a great bargain?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Did I miss out on a great bargain?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Did I miss out on a great bargain?  Over the weekend I was in Hamburg, NY working a ski swap / sale for the shop I work for P/T.   Several ski shops participate bringing left over gear, demos and trade ins.  Their are always a few hidden gems amongst the the sea of entry level blow outs and over used 200cm sticks.

 

Well as I was searching for an appropriate ski for a customer, I spotted a pair of brand new Line Influence 105's in the 179 length (perfect for my 5'8" 190lb frame) for $299!!!!  Now I only get out west once or twice a season and last year I bought the Rossi Exp 98's 180 for my western ski trip ski which the Line's would also be.  I kept looking to see if they were still there all weekend and there they were still leaning against the wall when the show was over and we were packing up.  I could have a Marker Griffon put on very cheap at my shop and have these skis for under $500 ready to go.

 

I wanted them so bad but just could not justify duplicating my western choice that I made last year.  All I could think about on the 3 hour drive back home that I was an idiot for not buying them.  Heck I could have turned around and sold them with out bindings for at least a $100 profit.

 

So am I an idiot or what?

 

Rick G

post #2 of 15

There's always another deal....  this was good but nothing crazy

post #3 of 15

Yes.

 

 

 

SJ

post #4 of 15

It's not a great deal if it duplicates something you have in your quiver, it more a waste of money. Had you bought, you may be writing this thread as buyers remorse. There have always been smoking deals on used and new skis, I expect that should continue.

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

Yes.

 

 

 

SJ

 

Thanks!  That is the answer that I wanted to hear.  LOL

 

I knew I should have bought them.  Oh well.  I really did not need them but it was so tempting.

 

Rick G

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Proof View Post

It's not a great deal if it duplicates something you have in your quiver, it more a waste of money. Had you bought, you may be writing this thread as buyers remorse. There have always been smoking deals on used and new skis, I expect that should continue.

 

The Influence 105's don't exactly duplicate my E98's but are close.  The Line's are more soft snow oriented and the E98's a bit more firmer snow oriented but both are still all mtn western oriented skis.  The fact is, I wouldn't take both skis with me on a vactation out west.  I would have to choose which one to take, and knowing me I would choose the wrong one for the given conditions of where I am heading.

 

If I lived out west the purchase would have been a no brainer.  But as I live in the east with limited opportunity to use such a ski, I think I made the right choice in passing.  But damn, they were so tempting.

 

Rick G

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Proof View Post

It's not a great deal if it duplicates something you have in your quiver, it more a waste of money. Had you bought, you may be writing this thread as buyers remorse. There have always been smoking deals on used and new skis, I expect that should continue.

 

+1 to Living Proof's post.  If you're going to buy a new toy, then get something that is significantly different then the one(s) you have.

 

$299 for the Influence 105 is a great deal, but with the E98 it is redundant.  By the way, I demoed the Influence 105's (179cm) and Experience 98's (180cm) the same day on a good crud day here in the PNW.  They both handled our crud well, but I liked the E98 much better as it was quicker edge to edge.  If I owned both skis, I doubt the 105's would get much use.

 

I'm 5'9.5" 180# 50yo and upper advanced.

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickg View Post

 

The Influence 105's don't exactly duplicate my E98's but are close.  The Line's are more soft snow oriented and the E98's a bit more firmer snow oriented but both are still all mtn western oriented skis.  The fact is, I wouldn't take both skis with me on a vactation out west.  I would have to choose which one to take, and knowing me I would choose the wrong one for the given conditions of where I am heading.

 

If I lived out west the purchase would have been a no brainer.  But as I live in the east with limited opportunity to use such a ski, I think I made the right choice in passing.  But damn, they were so tempting.

 

Rick G

Rick,

 

What you describe is the dilemma all. who live in the east and ski the west on occasion, face. Unless you are willing to haul 2 pair on a western trip (and I am not), the E98's should ski pretty good in the great majority of conditions likely to be experienced. Honestly, given the small difference in the skis, it's more about your ability to bend the boards in the all-mountain conditions.

 

PS.  Only Finndog is afforded the luxury to have overlaping skis.

post #9 of 15

the info about the Bulgarian resorts needs to be update badly.....

pm me if u need help...........

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave86 View Post

 

+1 to Living Proof's post.  If you're going to buy a new toy, then get something that is significantly different then the one(s) you have.

 

$299 for the Influence 105 is a great deal, but with the E98 it is redundant.  By the way, I demoed the Influence 105's (179cm) and Experience 98's (180cm) the same day on a good crud day here in the PNW.  They both handled our crud well, but I liked the E98 much better as it was quicker edge to edge.  If I owned both skis, I doubt the 105's would get much use.

 

I'm 5'9.5" 180# 50yo and upper advanced.

 

We are close in size as well as age and appreciate your input.  Glad to hear that you prefer the E98's as that is what I do have.  The Lines were so tempting as I had read so many positive reviews of Line skis plus I got a chance to demo a pair of Profit 90's last year at Mammoth and found them to be refresshingly forgiving, and fun as compared to my E98's but they did not have the beef that I like, so I thought these bigger and stiffer Influence 105's might be a good ski for me and what I like.

 

But it is all water under the bridge now.

 

Rick G

post #11 of 15

Mike, what's up with the "hauling" comment, throw 2 pairs in a bag (no difference in cost) and go.  If you think dragging  2 pairs of skis to the check in counter is too taxing, try more Wheaties! biggrin.gif

 

and, Where's my quiver overlap?  I am working on a mission specific quiver now.....

 

anyone traveling out west more than once per season or who has soft snow days just needs a 98ish ski and a 110ish rockered pow ski. end of dilemma

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Proof View Post

Rick,

 

What you describe is the dilemma all. who live in the east and ski the west on occasion, face. Unless you are willing to haul 2 pair on a western trip (and I am not), the E98's should ski pretty good in the great majority of conditions likely to be experienced. Honestly, given the small difference in the skis, it's more about your ability to bend the boards in the all-mountain conditions.

 

PS.  Only Finndog is afforded the luxury to have overlaping skis.

post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Proof View Post

Rick,

 

What you describe is the dilemma all. who live in the east and ski the west on occasion, face. Unless you are willing to haul 2 pair on a western trip (and I am not), the E98's should ski pretty good in the great majority of conditions likely to be experienced. Honestly, given the small difference in the skis, it's more about your ability to bend the boards in the all-mountain conditions.

 

PS.  Only Finndog is afforded the luxury to have overlaping skis.

 

Don't I know it.  There are so many skis that I would love to own if I only got the chance to ski more often out west. I do feel that the E98's fill my western all mountain ski needs quite well.   I shouldn't complain though, I have a great life here in the east and I do own 4 pairs of skis all bought in the last 3-4 seasons.

 

But they were so cheap and so tempting.....

 

Rick G

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickg View Post

 

  I would have to choose which one to take, and knowing me I would choose the wrong one for the given conditions of where I am heading.

 

This 'reasoning' right here is what's sabotaging you.                   If they're "so close" then neither choice can possibly be "wrong".

post #14 of 15

Rick, if you bought them and found you didn't like or have a use for, they would become expensive very quickly! icon14.gif

post #15 of 15

 

That's what the 'For Sale' ticket is for.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

Rick, if you bought them and found you didn't like or have a use for, they would become very quickly! icon14.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Did I miss out on a great bargain?