or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Après-Ski › How lame is the Mantra's new topsheet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How lame is the Mantra's new topsheet?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Jeez, the profile of another horned mammal, but this time an anemic mythical goat.  They could have chosen some original graphics.

post #2 of 22

Dragons are mammals?  Personally I would take the Mantra graphics over the Bushwacker graphics any day.  Bull heads are truly lame.

post #3 of 22

All very very subjective stuff, though I'm willing to bet the kooky orange 'Motorhead' graphics on the Head Inferno was to blame for the demise and discontinuation of a very nice ski.

post #4 of 22

The graphics are alright, though I would be a lot more enthusiastic if Asian art on skis wasn't so cliched.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post

Dragons are mammals?  Personally I would take the Mantra graphics over the Bushwacker graphics any day.  Bull heads are truly lame.

 

Did anyone notice that it's not even a noble dragon, let alone a glorious Imperial five-toed one?    

 

Cheap, common, 3-toed dragons for the punter public, yessiree!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post
 Bull heads are truly lame.

 

There was always something ... missing... to me when I looked at those.    Nothing to draw me into the art, ya know?     In my perfect world,  Blizzard bulls would have been done by ... Diego Rivera. 

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

All very very subjective stuff, though I'm willing to bet the kooky orange 'Motorhead' graphics on the Head Inferno was to blame for the demise and discontinuation of a very nice ski.

 

 

Fwiw, I liked that colour palette, particularly the use of yellow and magenta for depth.     The symbology and arrangement had bits of cutesy but mostly meh. 


Edited by cantunamunch - 10/24/12 at 8:49am
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

...the kooky orange 'Motorhead' graphics on the Head Inferno was to blame for the demise and discontinuation of a very nice ski.

 

And rightly so!

I mean if you can't be rocking sick-looking skis in the lift-line, then what's the point of even having them???  rolleyes.gif

 

I know that whenever I mosey into the shop, I tell the salesman, "Look, I don't care what these skis do, as long as they're blue!"

After all, they need to match my eyes, ya know.  cool.gif

post #6 of 22

I've got an idea for some Head graphics that I'm going to draw up and pass to the local rep for fun! Even the new REV series are pretty 'meh' IMHO.. the women's skis are just fugly.

post #7 of 22

Hehe ... the strong black rays and the the rasta emblem are kinda fun.  

 

Combine Black Power dynamics &  'Africa'-symbol insignia with the light blue on the Rev 85 and the whole ski makes me think "If the West Indies Cricket Team had an official ski, this would be IT"

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post
Even the new REV series are pretty 'meh' IMHO..
post #8 of 22

Maybe this thread needs to get merged with the "Paint your own skis" thread.  good stuff over there.  go for it, people.

post #9 of 22

IMO that would be like merging a shop that sells fan memorabilia with a shop that sells high school athletic gear.

post #10 of 22

worthless.gif
 

 

post #11 of 22
Quote:

 

Yeah this is pretty bad.  and I suspect it would look horribly dated awfully soon

post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by river-z View Post

 I suspect it would look horribly dated awfully soon

 

About as fast as the dragon print on grandma's house dress?

post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post

worthless.gif
 

 

 

Is it just me, or does that Goat look a little stoned?  Looks like it's staring at a lava lamp while munching Doritos...

post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post

Dragons are mammals?  Personally I would take the Mantra graphics over the Bushwacker graphics any day.  Bull heads are truly lame.

At least there is a story behind the Bulls on Blizzards Flipcore line. 

 

I'm guessing that Volkl's story has something to do with Karma, Mantra, Kenja(insert other asian term) and wanting to go with the images that are conjured when you think of those names.  

th_dunno-1[1].gif

post #15 of 22

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. I have a co worker that is planning on buying some Mantras just to put on display at his house because he likes the graphics so much. To each his own. 

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

 To each his own. 

 

 

True: I was in a thrift shop and  totally squeed when I found a green velvet smoking jacket with a dragon like that^ on it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

 

I'm guessing that Volkl's story has something to do with Karma, Mantra, Kenja(insert other asian term) and wanting to go with the images that are conjured when you think of those names.  

th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

 

Well, the Buddha image was appropriate, but _south_ asian art motifs have been... under-represented would be a mild term.

post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post

Hehe ... the strong black rays and the the rasta emblem are kinda fun.  

 

Combine Black Power dynamics &  'Africa'-symbol insignia with the light blue on the Rev 85 and the whole ski makes me think "If the West Indies Cricket Team had an official ski, this would be IT"

 

 

 

 

Maybe if the rasta dude got a haircut.. smile.gif

post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

Maybe if the rasta dude got a haircut.. smile.gif

 

Forget the trappings of Babylon.    Feel the love.   smile.gif

post #19 of 22

Ed Hardy would approve...

post #20 of 22
Germans using Japanese names for their skis is far more lame. I suppose they were allies back in the day...
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlmar View Post

Germans using Japanese names for their skis is far more lame. I suppose they were allies back in the day...

 

If they're actually made in China, is that ... kosher?

post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlmar View Post

Germans using Japanese names for their skis is far more lame. I suppose they were allies back in the day...

Mantra is not a Japanese word, it comes from Sanskrit and Hinduism.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Après-Ski
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Après-Ski › How lame is the Mantra's new topsheet?