Oops, I think you are right. Still, driving up is going to cost me a lot more than $10, so this is not a decisive factor.
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemAlpine Meadows Ski Resorttagged by System, 11/22/12
- itemHeavenlytagged by System, 11/22/12
- itemHomewood Mountain Resorttagged by System, 11/22/12
- itemKirkwood Mountain Resorttagged by System, 10/16/12
- itemMt. Rose - Ski Tahoetagged by System, 10/16/12
- itemNorthstar-at-Tahoetagged by System, 10/16/12
- brandSquaw Valleytagged by System, 1/8/13
- itemSquaw Valley USAtagged by System, 10/16/12
- itemSugar Bowl Resorttagged by System, 11/22/12
- itemTahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resorttagged by System, 10/16/12
Related Forum Threads
- Resorts near San Fran [family trip from New Zealand] Last post on 9/24/14 at 6:45pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Spending Christmas in Sacramento Last post on 10/23/13 at 12:38pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2013 / 14 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Last post on 9/26/14 at 11:05am in General Skiing Discussion
- Typically, when are the best Tahoe conditions? Last post on 10/12/11 at 10:20pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2015 / 16 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke - Bring on El Nino! Last post on 9/16/16 at 10:19am in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A PictorialLast edited: 9/21/13
- Squaw Valley Unofficial GuideLast edited: 7/17/15
- An Unvarnished Guide to Dining at SquawLast edited: 1/16/13
- Northstar California Unofficial GuideLast edited: 10/16/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
2012 / 13 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Thread - Page 2
Poll Results: Should we lock 2012-13 season stoke thread after Labor Day?
5 Total Votespost #31 of 125210/24/12 at 8:49am
80% (4)Yes - After Labor Day is a good time to get on to the next season
20% (1)No - I'm not done with this season yet
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 125210/24/12 at 9:10amThread Starterpost #33 of 125210/24/12 at 9:30amQuote:
It is going to get warm this weekend and with the ground being warm (relatively) and the sun coming out, let's see how much is left. Now that being said if I was home right now I would be skinning up high somewhere on the crest. It is still early and one October storm doesn't make a season.post #34 of 125210/24/12 at 10:43amThread Starterpost #35 of 125210/24/12 at 10:57ampost #36 of 125210/24/12 at 11:10amThread Starterpost #37 of 125210/24/12 at 2:13pmQuote:
I'm sure you are very relaxed, Phil was correct. Don't get too fired up and destroy a pair of skis or worse a knee, early in the year for two turns. I have seen more people hurt in early season conditions then I can count. Falling on rocks hurts, and hitting stumps under 2 ft of snow leaves a mark. I'm getting reports of people wreaking their sleds already. I know everyone is chomping at the bit after last year, but discretion is the better part of valor. My two cents from someone who has seen it before and is also losing his mind to make turns.post #38 of 125210/24/12 at 3:04pmpost #39 of 125210/24/12 at 4:28pmpost #40 of 125210/24/12 at 4:47pmpost #41 of 125210/24/12 at 4:57pm
There were some pics on Alpine Meadows FB yesterday that looked pretty good.post #42 of 125210/24/12 at 6:04pmpost #43 of 125210/24/12 at 6:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by Trekchick
There were some pics on Alpine Meadows FB yesterday that looked pretty good.
Thats busier than some mid season days.post #44 of 125210/24/12 at 7:03pmpost #45 of 125210/25/12 at 2:44pm
I wasn't planning on skiing Squaw today, but then....
Last night I was minding my own business and Phil comes in from the yard with a pair of Volant Chubbs he took off the fence and said, "If I throw bindings on these would you ski them tomorrow?"
So, we skied Squaw today and it was pretty darn good.
In fact, I'd dare say, Phil didn't need to conjure up rock skis for the day.
Big grins in the Pug house!post #46 of 125210/25/12 at 3:33pmpost #47 of 125210/25/12 at 4:36pmpost #48 of 125210/25/12 at 4:40pmpost #49 of 125210/25/12 at 5:06pmpost #50 of 125210/25/12 at 5:33pmpost #51 of 125210/25/12 at 6:49pm
hiked and skied Mt. Rose (the resort) on Wednesday late afternoon. Probably started hiking a bit after 3 pm from the summit of the Hwy and was down at the bottom of "Bonanza" on the Slide side around 5. It was waist deep in many spots and bare rock in others. I scraped quite a bit of granite on my schuss down, but my buddy didn't hit anything (he's also a long-time Rose local, so he knew where to turn to avoid any sharks, unlike me). We chose "Bonanza" as it's pretty much just dirt and hay underneath (with a bit of granite, but nothing extremely sharp or protruding...you just slide over the granite with a scraping ease). snow was soft and thick (not "blower", but not "Sierra Cement", either).
Up at the summit on the Hwy there were at least 20 "kids" sessioning the heck out of a pipe and rail they'd set up near the parking lot. Ran into 1 skinner, 3 boarders, and 2 other skiers up around Rose the resort, so folks were out and about enjoying the fruits of the early season.
FWIW, I believe this is the first time I've ended one season and begun the next in the same month: my 2011/2012 season ended with turns @ Dunderberg glaciers on Oct. 7th and then 12/13 kicked off on the 24th.
Woot!post #52 of 125210/26/12 at 12:01pmThread Starterpost #53 of 125211/6/12 at 4:25am
Last night, we did this
I check my email and find a link to this
Just saying.post #54 of 125211/6/12 at 5:28ampost #55 of 125211/6/12 at 9:28amThread Starter
Looks like the storm expectations have upgraded over the past few days. But more importantly the highs in the days that follow are all sub 50 degrees and it should be cold enough at night and in the mornings to continue making more.post #56 of 125211/8/12 at 10:44am
Powderchasers have amped up the prospects of snow pretty much all across the west, including Sierra, Rockies (northern and Central) and PNW.
Mostly I'm concerned about Sierra and Rockies, since we're skiing here and want to see Big Sky/Bridger get a huge dump.Quote:Since my last post earlier in the week all cards are coming together for a major winter storm especially for northern (15-20 inches) range of northern Utah (18-25 inches) and to a slightly lesser degree for the (14-18), and Central Colorado (8-12). The Sierra will pick up 7-12 tonight and another 4-8 over the next several days.post #57 of 125211/8/12 at 10:48ampost #58 of 125211/8/12 at 10:54ampost #59 of 125211/8/12 at 1:15pmThread Starter
More importantly, there's a chance we could get a solid base building storm right before Thanksgiving and really open up some terrain.
"Still watching the potential of a more significant storm in the 17th-20th time frame. This could be the miracle we need to get the season off to a decent start. Currently it looks like the ridge will be to the North of Hawaii and a deep low could dig deep off the coast pulling in subtropical moisture before coming into CA. That scenario drops a couple feet of snow on the Basin and it’s of the more solid base building variety."
This thread is locked
- 2012 / 13 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A Pictorial
- › New brand. Stellar equipment 23 minutes ago
- › Achilles tear no surgery 28 minutes ago
- › Saving boots for another kid 42 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 55 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 2 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › First time buying skis - need suggestions please [mother skiing... 2 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › Demo bindings 2 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Instructor recommendation for Stratton 2 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Rossignol Soul 7 length? 6', 155 lbs. Trees. 2 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 2 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer