or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › 2012 / 13 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 / 13 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Thread - Page 40  

Poll Results: Should we lock 2012-13 season stoke thread after Labor Day?

 
  • 80% (4)
    Yes - After Labor Day is a good time to get on to the next season
  • 20% (1)
    No - I'm not done with this season yet
5 Total Votes  
post #1171 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Thanks.

The music was BBQ Blues, which I thought was appropriate for the change of season. smile.gif

Do you know who did it? I found a video on you tube but it didn't credit the artist. From a movie? I like that old Chicago sound (it wasn't old when I started listening to it.)

post #1172 of 1252

excellente, Xela!

post #1173 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

Do you know who did it? I found a video on you tube but it didn't credit the artist. From a movie? I like that old Chicago sound (it wasn't old when I started listening to it.)

Sorry I don't see a credit to the artist but I'll dig around and see if I can find it.  

It was a short clip of music for short videos in my video editing software. redface.gif

post #1174 of 1252

Quoting because this shouldn't be buried at the bottom of the previous page. 

beercheer.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xela View Post

I finally put together my season highlights edit.  Some of my goals for the season were to hit more of Squaw's hike-to terrain and do some modest drops.

 

post #1175 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

I do. I will be there at 9...I have to be at work at 12 though. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post

Anyone going to be at AM on Friday? Have an open window from 9-1.

 

I will be there Fri AM..orange Nanopuff and red pants/helmet

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

Anyone skiing Alpine this Sat? Could be the last day of the season for me.

I will be there Sat AM. Clothing; TBA, I will text you. Will be out of there by 11:30ish. 

post #1176 of 1252
Thread Starter 

...


Edited by JayT - 4/26/13 at 1:28pm
post #1177 of 1252

To say todays conditions were marginal, makes the word "marginal" a pretty broad term. I think Alpine has kept the "B" team on for the last week. Grooming was awful, no markings of bare spots on main runs and chaos in the lift lines. With that said, the sun was shining and the off piste stuff was skiing well until about 11 then was getting real soft down low. Is it worth coming up for the weekend? Not sure I would bother coming for the skiing but more so for the company. Chill and grill and don't let the crowds and marginal conditions get you down. Oh, lot's o sunblock. 

post #1178 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
orange Nanopuff 

 

A little optimistic about the temperature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

To say todays conditions were marginal, makes the word "marginal" a pretty broad term. I think Alpine has kept the "B" team on for the last week. Grooming was awful, no markings of bare spots on main runs and chaos in the lift lines. With that said, the sun was shining and the off piste stuff was skiing well until about 11 then was getting real soft down low. Is it worth coming up for the weekend? Not sure I would bother coming for the skiing but more so for the company. Chill and grill and don't let the crowds and marginal conditions get you down. Oh, lot's o sunblock. 

Appreciate the heads up--glad I headed out of town.  Tough to groom mush. At least they tried.

post #1179 of 1252
Nice making some turns at AM - thanks Phil and Tony! Conditions? Well, sun was out. Had a lot of fun for a few hours.
post #1180 of 1252

Went to the last lift served of the season at Alpine Day -2

 

Started at 9:00

 

Grooming was (uhh ..... forget the groomers)

 

Went right to off piste into wolverine bowl and it was soft.

 

Traversed into Beaver Bowl again soft but started getting sticky around 10:30 or so

 

Time to hike into the upper/lower saddle @ 11:00 and it was softening nicely.

 

Run-out was sticky but headed into the park and was able to make it back to Summit chair without issues

 

Hung it up around 1:15

 

Lines were manageable but the lift corral on summit was full.

 

Hit RoundHouse a few times until the summit line got slightly better

 

All in all Alpine skied well today smile.gif

post #1181 of 1252

Well, my 2013 Squaw ski season came to an end this Saturday at Alpine.  It seemed like a big Squaw reunion- looked like everyone was crammed into the same line on Summit.  The snow started soft and got slushy real fast, but that didn't matter, people just didn't want it to end.  The line on Summit was surprisingly big, spilling out of the gates:

 

 

 

 

Skied a few laps with Eric Bryant and Miles Clark (lately of their new website):

 

 

By 11:30 it became too slushy and the band started playing, so I took one last run (I think it's the Keyhole area):

 

We packed the ski lease on Sunday and now I have to adjust again to spending my weekends at home...  until the next season beercheer.gif

post #1182 of 1252

 

By 11:30 it became too slushy and the band started playing, so I took one last run (I think it's the Keyhole area):

 

 

Keyhole open bowl according to a patroller I once asked. (keyhole proper would be from the very top of the climb--a bit steeper, narrower, rockier).

post #1183 of 1252

Well, beercheer.gifto the memories of this winter!  So, here is a repost of the edit from just before the New Years' (first ever edit from the helmet cam too:-):  Enjoy...

post #1184 of 1252

Man-0-man we had good snow in December!

post #1185 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

Keyhole open bowl according to a patroller I once asked. (keyhole proper would be from the very top of the climb--a bit steeper, narrower, rockier).

Or Key Hole Open Slopes I have heard it called and have been calling it for many years, that isn't Key Hole proper.

 

Wish this season would have continued like it started. 

post #1186 of 1252

After the 2010-2011 season, I did two things to jinx all of us.  First, I bought a transceiver.  Second, I bought winter tires.  In the subsequent two seasons, I've had practically zero opportunities to utilize either.  I apologize to everyone.

 

The good news is that, assuming my penalty for each purchase is one year of bad luck, we should be free and clear for 2013-2014.

 

Oh, by the way, I still had a great 30 days this season.  My kids also had 30 days and showed real improvement.  And, my wife will soon be off the crutches.

post #1187 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xela View Post

After the 2010-2011 season, I did two things to jinx all of us.  First, I bought a transceiver.  Second, I bought winter tires.  In the subsequent two seasons, I've had practically zero opportunities to utilize either.  I apologize to everyone.

 

The good news is that, assuming my penalty for each purchase is one year of bad luck, we should be free and clear for 2013-2014.

 

Oh, by the way, I still had a great 30 days this season.  My kids also had 30 days and showed real improvement.  And, my wife will soon be off the crutches.

So it was YOU!!!!hopmad.gif

 

 

Actually, I have 78 days this year and had 89 days last year.   My skiing has improved greatly over the past two seasons.  

 

You know my favorite Bob Barnes-ism?  There are two kinds of snow conditions - Good and Good for you.  We've had a lot of "Good for you" conditions. 

post #1188 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

To say todays conditions were marginal, makes the word "marginal" a pretty broad term.

I know this is a little late, but I've been busy. It was good skiing with you, and meeting and skiing with Dino on Friday. I thought conditions were still good, even after you left. as long as you found the right exposure. You did have to be careful with rollovers, even on groomed runs, as you never knew how far across the run there was snow. After you left we skied Peril Ridge into Waterfall a couple of times. Then we finished up with the middle Palisade and cut over knoll to lower part of High Yellow. I would have gone for a couple of more runs as I was still finding firm, non-sticky path to base of Summit chair, but my friend and I had to drive 400 miles past Reno after skiing. We made it to Bend in time to see the 2nd half of Warriors win over Denver. On the way, we got to Lava Beds National Monument before visitor's center closed so we could get permit required to go into the caves.

 

Bachelor is still skiing very well and will be open until Memorial Day. We only had Saturday with Northwest and Summit running. I made it up Summit five times, two early groomers (one was way too early as it was windy and very firm most of the way down) and skied the corn off the S, W and N from top of lift. Sunday started out with some drizzle, but quickly turned into a nice day, even without Northwest and Summit which were also closed Monday and Tuesday. For more info,  see http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10973


Edited by tseeb - 4/30/13 at 1:16pm
post #1189 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ske-Bum View Post

Or Key Hole Open Slopes I have heard it called and have been calling it for many years, that isn't Key Hole proper.

Wish this season would have continued like it started. 

Apologies to the Alpine contingent. I'm unfamiliar with the Alpine terrain names, only what I can see on the map. In those conditions it didn't matter. Every run was pretty easy. I can see how Keyhole proper would be a harder run mid winter. It would be pretty gnarly actually.
post #1190 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post


Apologies to the Alpine contingent. I'm unfamiliar with the Alpine terrain names, only what I can see on the map. In those conditions it didn't matter. Every run was pretty easy. I can see how Keyhole proper would be a harder run mid winter. It would be pretty gnarly actually.

No worries, Key Hole proper is pretty fun in the right conditions, fun in that scary sort of way, but don't go in there when it isn't good. Some nasty, nasty accidents in there over the years. I'm a Squaw boy now, Alexzn, only skied Alpine 10 or so days this year. wink.gif

post #1191 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post


Apologies to the Alpine contingent. I'm unfamiliar with the Alpine terrain names, only what I can see on the map. In those conditions it didn't matter. Every run was pretty easy. I can see how Keyhole proper would be a harder run mid winter. It would be pretty gnarly actually.

I've been skiing there for decades and there are still a lot of names I don't know. Keyhole open slopes sounds right, rather than open bowl. Wish I had a patrol map of the place like I have for Squaw, and Squallywood helps a lot with Squaw names, even if I've only skied one line in the book.  

post #1192 of 1252
Thread Starter 

I skied Keyhole in late December and it was a blast, then again in February during the dust on crust period and scared the crap out of myself with a fall and fortunate recovery.  It's amazing how much easier certain areas can be when it's nice and powdery vs. otherwise.  Not surprised to hear there's been some bad accidents through there.  Same deal with certain lines off Estelle.

 

I will say, for those of you who only go to Squaw during the regular season, you are missing out on some good stuff at Alpine too.

post #1193 of 1252
Thread Starter 

I need to go down to Santa Barbara for work next week.  It's about a 6 1/2 hour drive straight from my house, but... I could drive 5 hours to Mammoth, go skiing, stay the night, then drive another 5 hours to SB from there.  Is it worth the diversion right now?  I'm on the fence.

post #1194 of 1252

If it's any help I'm considering a Memorial Day trip down there.

post #1195 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

I need to go down to Santa Barbara for work next week.  It's about a 6 1/2 hour drive straight from my house, but... I could drive 5 hours to Mammoth, go skiing, stay the night, then drive another 5 hours to SB from there.  Is it worth the diversion right now?  I'm on the fence.

Yes. I was down last weekend for a slalom camp and the mountain is still in decent shape
post #1196 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

I need to go down to Santa Barbara for work next week.  It's about a 6 1/2 hour drive straight from my house, but... I could drive 5 hours to Mammoth, go skiing, stay the night, then drive another 5 hours to SB from there.  Is it worth the diversion right now?  I'm on the fence.

There is a lot of information at http://forums.mammothmountain.com/viewforum.php?f=14 including a current conditions thread. It sounds like weekends could be better (which is the opposite of winter) as they run more lifts if there are enough people. They also only run upper gondola on weekends which gets you higher than chair 23 which runs during the week instead of gondola.

 

Google maps says you are under-estimating time to/from Mammoth and over-estimating time direct to Santa Barbara. They show the following:

 

Sonoma-SB via 101 5 hours 50 min (does not include stops or traffic)

 

Sonoma-Mammoth via US 50/Monitor Pass 5:34

via 108 5:35

 

Mammoth-SB via 395/14 5:57

 

I'm thinking about Mammoth in two weeks, depending on their weather, operations and my wife. Google shows Mammoth is only 5:06 from San Jose via 108 and 9 minutes longer via 120. 

post #1197 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

I skied Keyhole in late December and it was a blast, then again in February during the dust on crust period and scared the crap out of myself with a fall and fortunate recovery.  It's amazing how much easier certain areas can be when it's nice and powdery vs. otherwise.  Not surprised to hear there's been some bad accidents through there.  Same deal with certain lines off Estelle.

 

I will say, for those of you who only go to Squaw during the regular season, you are missing out on some good stuff at Alpine too.

I've only skied Keyhole direct in perfect spring slush.  A friend of mine, an intermediate, was led down one of the Keyhole lines by a "friend" in icy conditions. He fell and talk about yard sale--not just skis, poles, goggles, he managed to lose his keys and wallet too. There was a death there some years ago, not sure which line. 

post #1198 of 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

I've only skied Keyhole direct in perfect spring slush.  A friend of mine, an intermediate, was led down one of the Keyhole lines by a "friend" in icy conditions. He fell and talk about yard sale--not just skis, poles, goggles, he managed to lose his keys and wallet too. There was a death there some years ago, not sure which line. 

Some 'friend' indeed...  Just from looking down Keyhole proper, I'd say that I would consider skiing skiing it in icy conditions an unacceptable risk. But maybe that's because I'm a chicken.  Falling in that line and only loosing keys and wallet would be my definition of a lucky day.  

post #1199 of 1252
Passed Keyhole many times, even in my stupid youth...
post #1200 of 1252

Looks like all the seasonal passes are open (Monitor, Ebbetts, Sonora), except Tioga (120).  I crossed Monitor a week ago leaving CA on the bike.  At that time the others were still closed.  That's a real early opening, but it makes for some nice hike-to skiing at the top of Sonora Pass.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
This thread is locked  
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › 2012 / 13 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Thread