New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Copper Mountain Opinions - Page 2

post #31 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abox View Post

 

The trails served by the Alpine lift are my favorite.  If you're not good in the gnarl they can be a death march, especially with the sun beating down on you.  But if you got the skillz and the legs, they're loads of fun and a sure place to avoid crowds.


There's even a small parking lot at the base of the A chair. Expert skiers can park there and walk onto the lift.

post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2010 View Post


There's even a small parking lot at the base of the A chair. Expert skiers can park there and walk onto the lift.

Only if you have a pass already...

 

Mike

post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post

Only if you have a pass already...

 

Mike

 

I don't park there anymore since we have parking at the condo, but I think access has changed a little each year ... for a long time it was free parking, then it was marked $10 but no one ever collected, etc etc. Now it's passholder only, right? I can't believe it's still there, frankly. 

post #34 of 59

Well, if you already have your lift ticket, you are golden, otherwise you need a season pass.  The little known secret is that it also is free to carpools (4+) or at least used to be...

 

Mike

post #35 of 59

Be careful if you're parking in the Triple Treat lot; I've seen many people get stuck when they try to short-cut in/out of the lot instead of following the established "path".

post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

 

That sounds about right.  I ski 25-30 days at Copper each year ... it's about once a year that there is  a wait at Reso  (maybe one or two more if you count when it's broken down). Last season it was The Powder Day, that Saturday in January when it finally snowed. There was a bit of pent-up demand. That was with bumpfreaq, in fact! Then the year before on Presidents Day; I don't normally ski that weekend, but we had some friends in town, and other mutual friends from Vail came over to Copper b/c no WAY were we going to Vail, and once we had to wait about 5 min at Reso. 

 

Never at A lift, ever ever ever. But you have to ski a rather long bump run with some awkward fall lines, and then ride up the world's slowest lift. Our Vail friends loved that Pres Day at Copper, but we still hear it about A lift ... "good lord that is the longest slowest lift ever!"

 

 

 

And I hope they never replace itbiggrin.gif

post #37 of 59

A four-person, high-speed quad replaces the A lift in the Copper 10-year improvement plan.  The terrain directly under it will likely be groomed, with the surrounding bump runs left alone.  Also in the plan is a 250-seat restaurant at the top of the American Flyer, replacing the Flyer with a six-pack chair, a drag lift from the top of Sierra to the lip of Copper Bowl, a lift on the left side of Tucker Mountain as you look at it from the entrance to the bowls, an expansion of skiing to the back of Tucker Mountain, and a high-speed quad to replace the Kokomo beginner lift.  All dependent of resort income, of course.

post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_m View Post

A four-person, high-speed quad replaces the A lift in the Copper 10-year improvement plan.  The terrain directly under it will likely be groomed, with the surrounding bump runs left alone.  Also in the plan is a 250-seat restaurant at the top of the American Flyer, replacing the Flyer with a six-pack chair, a drag lift from the top of Sierra to the lip of Copper Bowl, a lift on the left side of Tucker Mountain as you look at it from the entrance to the bowls, an expansion of skiing to the back of Tucker Mountain, and a high-speed quad to replace the Kokomo beginner lift.  All dependent of resort income, of course.

 

I can understand or deal with most of these, but I really don't like that one. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post

Well, if you already have your lift ticket, you are golden, otherwise you need a season pass.  The little known secret is that it also is free to carpools (4+) or at least used to be...

 

Mike

Yeah, that's what I was saying ... every year or so there was a little change to the method over there. 

post #39 of 59

I've got mixed feelings about a drag lift from the top of Sierra to the lip of Copper bowl.  It'd make loops on Union Peak easier.  And it will ski the terrain out.

 

A lot of folk dislike the A lift because of the length of the ride.  It does gain a tremendous amount of vert though.

 

Mike

post #40 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post

I've got mixed feelings about a drag lift from the top of Sierra to the lip of Copper bowl.  It'd make loops on Union Peak easier.  And it will ski the terrain out.

 

A lot of folk dislike the A lift because of the length of the ride.  It does gain a tremendous amount of vert though.

 

Mike

 

Yeah, that's my thought. On the other hand, there are a lot of days (weekdays) that no one is really there, anyway, so I'll just wait and see. Might be a good thing to not have to ride R all the time. 

 

As for A lift, that part of the mountain sees so little traffic at this point, I think it's a good place to increase access and spread out some of the skiers from the runs under Super Bee. THey are grooming half of Triple Treat already anyway, it's just that lift that keeps people away. I need the rest after skiing Far East, though... ;-)  Flyer as a 6 makes sense.

 

Lift to Tucker is of course controversial, but I am for it. There is a lot of terrain over there, much is north facing, it will be easier to control with a lift, I say expand expand on that side of Copper's territory. Of course it will get skied out, but it's interesting terrain, so even skied out it will add to Copper's offerings. And the snow will stay pretty good on a lot of it. Union Peak is nice, but it isn't all that "interesting" -- its main draw is snow quality. Easier access will just hurt that. But Tucker is different, it will be fun even if people have skied it already. 

post #41 of 59

We went to Copper in late  March the last two years.  2011 had awesome snow and conditions while 2012 was not as good, but still better than most places in Colorado at the time.  Crowds really weren't an issue and my family really loved the mountain. 

post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

 

Yeah, that's my thought. On the other hand, there are a lot of days (weekdays) that no one is really there, anyway, so I'll just wait and see. Might be a good thing to not have to ride R all the time. 

 

As for A lift, that part of the mountain sees so little traffic at this point, I think it's a good place to increase access and spread out some of the skiers from the runs under Super Bee. THey are grooming half of Triple Treat already anyway, it's just that lift that keeps people away. I need the rest after skiing Far East, though... ;-)  Flyer as a 6 makes sense.

 

Lift to Tucker is of course controversial, but I am for it. There is a lot of terrain over there, much is north facing, it will be easier to control with a lift, I say expand expand on that side of Copper's territory. Of course it will get skied out, but it's interesting terrain, so even skied out it will add to Copper's offerings. And the snow will stay pretty good on a lot of it. Union Peak is nice, but it isn't all that "interesting" -- its main draw is snow quality. Easier access will just hurt that. But Tucker is different, it will be fun even if people have skied it already. 

 

I'm assuming all this talk about "A lift" is the Alpine lift?  Speaking from an East-coasters perspective...  after skiing God-only-knows how many bumps to get down to the Alpine lift, I sure appreciated the nice, long, slow ride back up.  Gave me a chance to actually get some air back in my lungs.  icon14.gif

 

I've always liked Copper.  Somehow it suits me better then the other Summit County areas. 

post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSafe View Post

 

I dont ski here but, I know It has some of the best skiier seperation in the country, which means experts ski near experts without having to worry about hitting somebody, and intermediates can ski without worrying about getting hit. i dont know anything about the beginner areas.

 

 

 

Copper deliberately cut their trails to accomplish this. The upside is exactly what you state above- for the most part people are onr green and blue trails because they intend to ski at that adifficulty level, not because the expert trail they are going to ski either starts off of the beginner trail or merges into it.

 

However, its important to note a downside as well, which is that many blue and green runs on the mountain are cut double fall line to keep to the desired pitch.  This can get very annoying, especially on a high volume double fall line green run with a bunch of beginners "stuck" on the low side.

 

It also means that the intermediate terrain, which is the most popular segment of skiing these days, can get pretty nuts at Copper- 75% of the skiers on the whole mountain mobbing American Eagle and Flyer.

 

This is pretty irrelevant for the skiers that won't be skiing that terrain anyways, but if you have skiers in your group that will be spending most of their day on blues and greens, its important to note.

post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post

 

It also means that the intermediate terrain, which is the most popular segment of skiing these days, can get pretty nuts at Copper- 75% of the skiers on the whole mountain mobbing American Eagle and Flyer.

 

 

Like many resorts, there can be a few bottle necks at Copper but those going should be aware that Timberline accesses some good easy intermediate terrain and Super Bee accesses some good advanced intermediate terrain (as does Excelerator).

post #45 of 59

Comedian Kevin Nealon on Copper:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9_-52cgOBc

post #46 of 59

check out Winterpark/maryjane...   

post #47 of 59
post #48 of 59

Question about the quickie lessons...is an "advanced" skier really only a level 6 at Copper?  I consider myself an "advanced" skier but when I did the Keystone season lesson program a few years back, one of the instructors that I went out with several times described me as a solid level 8...I know that 7s like to consider themselves as advanced skiers also, but I always thought of 6s more as upper intermediate skiers, not advanced.

 

Another question about the bolt ons- is a RMSP+ considered a "season pass holder"  I ask because with the + pass, you actually buy it from WP and I recall having to go to a different customer service desk.

 

 

Quickie

Get a quick tune-up with the Quickie Lesson – and don’t spend your whole trip or vacation doing it! These new ski and ride, 50-minute, 3 person max, semi-private adult lessons are great for most levels: beginners (sorry, not for first-timers) can build greater confidence; intermediates can break through to the next level; and advanced skiers and riders can get that all important refresher.

  • Season Pass Holders: Four (4) Quickie Semi-Private Lessons for only $99
  • Four Pack Holders: Two (2) Quickie Semi-Private Lessons for only $49
  • Not for first timer skiers or riders – levels 2-6 only
post #49 of 59

MEFree, Copper only uses a 6-level scale, not the 10-level scale that's been debated on here endless times.

 

I took a lesson at Copper last year with Bob Barnes, and he said that "you're a six under the Copper system and an 8/9 anywhere else".

post #50 of 59

Copper Mountain is the best skiing experience in Summit County by far.  The other resorts have their good points and reason to vacation there but for everyday skiing experience for all levels of skiers the Copper experience is the best....JMNSHO

post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post

Only if you have a pass already...

 

Mike

 

 

From the Copper website:  http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/the_mountain/transportation

 

"Free Parking is available 7 days a week in the Alpine & Far East Lots"

 

I'm guessing the Far East Lot is the Alpine chair lot?

 

 

edit - oh right, you meant as far as getting a lift ticket.

post #52 of 59
I like Copper better then any ski resort in that area except Vail,particularly if their Back Bowls are open .
post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSafe View Post

 

I dont ski here but, I know It has some of the best skiier seperation in the country, which means experts ski near experts without having to worry about hitting somebody, and intermediates can ski without worrying about getting hit. i dont know anything about the beginner areas.

 

 

 

Copper deliberately cut their trails to accomplish this. The upside is exactly what you state above- for the most part people are onr green and blue trails because they intend to ski at that adifficulty level, not because the expert trail they are going to ski either starts off of the beginner trail or merges into it.

 

However, its important to note a downside as well, which is that many blue and green runs on the mountain are cut double fall line to keep to the desired pitch.  This can get very annoying, especially on a high volume double fall line green run with a bunch of beginners "stuck" on the low side.

 

It also means that the intermediate terrain, which is the most popular segment of skiing these days, can get pretty nuts at Copper- 75% of the skiers on the whole mountain mobbing American Eagle and Flyer.

 

This is pretty irrelevant for the skiers that won't be skiing that terrain anyways, but if you have skiers in your group that will be spending most of their day on blues and greens, its important to note.


The problem with Copper compared to Vail is the skier separation aspect of the
mountain . If I'm with a group that is comfortable with blue runs and I wanna
ski a black run it can be hard to meet up
at Copper if you split up for different runs because of the mountain layout.

At Vail, my wife's friends can go down say Poppyfields in China Bowl , I can go
down Jade Glade and the meet up with
them for the lower section of Poppyfields.

I prefer the left side of Copper looking up the mountain but many of the people
I ski with are uncomfortable there .
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abox View Post

 

 

From the Copper website:  http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/the_mountain/transportation

 

"Free Parking is available 7 days a week in the Alpine & Far East Lots"

 

I'm guessing the Far East Lot is the Alpine chair lot?

 

 

edit - oh right, you meant as far as getting a lift ticket.

THe Alpine chair lot is called the Triple Treat lot, I believe. The Alpine Lot is a free lot, and buses shuttle skiers to the main area. 

 

I was reading the latest PUD yesterday, which is of interest to me because our condo is surrounded by quite a bit of open space, with views -- a bit of a rarity around there. There had been back and forth when Intrawest was the owner, and had development plans that we did not like. The new submission is interesting, it adds some smaller buildings (possibly a boutique hotel) but mainly of interest is to extend the Pitchfork lift down the golf course toward the road and add a small skier services building there. THis would be directly across the street from the athletic club/fire station/etc. It would make a much longer little bunny hill, too, which I think is a good idea. 

 

http://co-summitcounty.civicplus.com/DocumentCenterii.aspx?FID=124

post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmypowder View Post


The problem with Copper compared to Vail is the skier separation aspect of the
mountain . If I'm with a group that is comfortable with blue runs and I wanna
ski a black run it can be hard to meet up
at Copper if you split up for different runs because of the mountain layout.
At Vail, my wife's friends can go down say Poppyfields in China Bowl , I can go
down Jade Glade and the meet up with
them for the lower section of Poppyfields.
I prefer the left side of Copper looking up the mountain but many of the people
I ski with are uncomfortable there .

Yes, that is definitely a consideration. You can do a little of that on Super Bee and E chair, though. Those aren't necessarily Copper's greatest ski areas, but it works. 

post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

Yes, that is definitely a consideration. You can do a little of that on Super Bee and E chair, though. Those aren't necessarily Copper's greatest ski areas, but it works. 

By E chair, you mean the Excelerator, right?  Just for folk who aren't Copper regulars...

 

You can generally find a run or two on most lifts that are blues, although that's not true for the Alpine (yet if they've mowed down half the bumps on Triple Treat, it generally skis like a blue). 

 

Mike

post #57 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

 

 but mainly of interest is to extend the Pitchfork lift down the golf course toward the road and add a small skier services building there. THis would be directly across the street from the athletic club/fire station/etc. It would make a much longer little bunny hill, too, which I think is a good idea. 

 

http://co-summitcounty.civicplus.com/DocumentCenterii.aspx?FID=124

I have enjoyed using the Pitchfork a fair bit with beginner friends and family, in part because they have a separate $10 ticket for it that they never check.  Overall, a good little beginner area that is usually not very crowded.

 

This redesign would partially address a few of the logistical issues that I have with the lift-

1.  The redesign would make walking from the Woodward bus stop much closer to the base of the lift.

2.  When taking a never ever from the Main area Magic carpet to the Pitchfork, it is a pretty flat traverse that most of them struggle with.  I would like to see a magic carpet at the base of the expanded Pitchfork.  Even without this, you could catch the Copper bus over which is not really practical given the current loading area for the lift.

post #58 of 59

Another great aspect of the skier separation is that it allows skiers to ski at their preferred speeds. The beginner area has lots of speed patrol which is a good thing and the advanced area has almost none which is a better thing. 

 

Also not improtant for most folks here but Copper has hands down the best facilities for freestyle skier progression. They also have one of the nicest pipes in the country and although Breck has a slightly better jump line the fact that copper's is way less busy makes me prefer it. 

post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by whygimf View Post

Comedian Kevin Nealon on Copper:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9_-52cgOBc

 

I was just about to post that, very funny. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion